Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

AQA GCSE - Unit 3 (P3,B3,C3) New specification papers. Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Electronics and Latin

ReputationRep:
    Since we all seem to be talking about A-level options, I'm doing Maths, Chemistry, Biology, Physics
    I opted to do Further Maths as well but I'm going to drop either that or Physics on the first week, and it's probably going to be FM.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing Maths, History, Economics and Politics, and I'm aiming for PPE at Oxford or a similar university.

ReputationRep:
    All past papers of the new spec here:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2336347

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BI0)
    Since we all seem to be talking about A-level options, I'm doing Maths, Chemistry, Biology, Physics
    I opted to do Further Maths as well but I'm going to drop either that or Physics on the first week, and it's probably going to be FM.
    You wanna do Medicine don't you?

Anyway, getting a little carried away!

SCIENCE PEOPLE!!!!

ReputationRep:
    For B3 what do you need to know about the potometer and do you need to know how it works/what it looks like?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Firuza1029)
    For B3 what do you need to know about the potometer and do you need to know how it works/what it looks like?
    You don't need to know about that for aqa spec....? I don't remember being taught that in lesson and its not in the revision guide?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Firuza1029)
    It lists it in the specification as a possible experiment to do in class, but as long as you get the basic principles of the science behind it, then you'll be fine. You don't need to know any details about that particular experiment. However, there may be questions relating to it in the exam but all necessary information about the actual setup of the experiment will be provided in the question.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! Was just making sure

ReputationRep:
    Is a lever only a force multiplier if the load is closer to the pivot than the perpendicular distance from the line of action?

ReputationRep:
    Would somebody kindly explain to me how transformers work, please? My teacher explained it in class and I got it, but now I seem to have lost my understanding of it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hazwaz7)
    Would somebody kindly explain to me how transformers work, please? My teacher explained it in class and I got it, but now I seem to have lost my understanding of it!
    Transformers either step up or step down the voltage or potential difference of a supply. They consist of a primary and secondary coil wrapped around a common iron core. (No current passes through the core, only an alternating magnetic field).

An alternating current is supplied to the primary coil which increases its magnetic field and causes an alternating magnetic field in the iron core that continually expands and contracts. The changing magnetic field has the same effect as passing a conductor through a magnetic field (the secondary coil 'cuts' through this magnetic field). As a result a potential difference is induced across the secondary coil. If this is connected to a circuit or a load, a current will flow.

In a step up transformer there are more turns on the secondary coil than the primary coil because the secondary pd is greater. It is the opposite for a step down transformer.

In the national grid step up transformers are used to reduce power loss created by the heating effect of the electric current through the cables, before a step down transformer is used to step the voltage down to the 230V mains supply in our homes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Epic Chemistry Questions to munch on:

1)I have a substance, I preform a flame test on the substance, the colour of the flame is red. Identify the substance present.
    2)Some substances react with sodium hydroxide to form a coloured precipitate, I dissolve an unknown substance into sodium hydroxide and a blue precipitate forms. Identify the substance.
    3)I have the substances: Calcium, Magnesium and Aluminium (III), describe how to use tests to distinguish between these three substances.
    4)Describe and give the result of the test for Sulfate Ions.
    5)I react a substance with Silver Nitrate in the Presence of Dilute Nitric Acid, a Yellow precipitate forms. Identify the negative ion present.
    6)I have an unknown substance, when dilute hydrochloric acid is added to it, the substance fizzes and a gas is given off, describe and give the result of the test to show carbonate ions are present in this substance.

ENJOY

ReputationRep:
    Can someone please explain this question to me please:

'The design of a biogas generator works well in Sri lanka. It would not work so well in the UK. Explain why' (2 marks)

ReputationRep:
    What are you guys predicting grade boundaries are going to be for B3, C3 and P3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by king_revision)
    What are you guys predicting grade boundaries are going to be for B3, C3 and P3
    Well, we are going to be the first set of students to sit the exam, so hopefully low! But then again, people sitting Unit 3 are more than likely smart so I would not count on them being too low

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lolface32)
    Well, we are going to be the first set of students to sit the exam, so hopefully low! But then again, people sitting Unit 3 are more than likely smart so I would not count on them being too low
    Hmmm I predict they'll be average, as many schools are doing their science linear. I know 2 private schools that are doing linear. I'm not too bothered really... do the last units generally have lowere grade boundaries because everyone has more exams. I'll check for the old spec

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by king_revision)
    Hmmm I predict they'll be average, as many schools are doing their science linear. I know 2 private schools that are doing linear. I'm not too bothered really... do the last units generally have lowere grade boundaries because everyone has more exams. I'll check for the old spec
    They don't base it on no. of exams students do but the average mark achieved. Grade boundaries have been raised by Micheal Gove, apparently GCSE's are to easy. The last units had 42 for an A* in June, when they were first carried out (Physics). Hopefully same for us

ReputationRep:
    I don;t really mind

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    Transformers either step up or step down the voltage or potential difference of a supply. They consist of a primary and secondary coil wrapped around a common iron core. (No current passes through the core, only an alternating magnetic field).

An alternating current is supplied to the primary coil which increases its magnetic field and causes an alternating magnetic field in the iron core that continually expands and contracts. The changing magnetic field has the same effect as passing a conductor through a magnetic field (the secondary coil 'cuts' through this magnetic field). As a result a potential difference is induced across the secondary coil. If this is connected to a circuit or a load, a current will flow.

In a step up transformer there are more turns on the secondary coil than the primary coil because the secondary pd is greater. It is the opposite for a step down transformer.

In the national grid step up transformers are used to reduce power loss created by the heating effect of the electric current through the cables, before a step down transformer is used to step the voltage down to the 230V mains supply in our homes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you!

Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.