The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE - Unit 3 (P3,B3,C3) New specification papers.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dandaman7771
It's definately possible, though obviously not advisable.

Biology at GCSE is predominantly about remembering things and adapting them, so how good's your memory?

It's decent concentrating over long periods is the thing i struggle on though :/ when you say possible do you think to an A standard?
Original post by ARSHKFW
It's decent concentrating over long periods is the thing i struggle on though :/ when you say possible do you think to an A standard?

It should be, don't overwork yourself though.
Original post by ARSHKFW

Whats it like at A-level then ?
hey can i just ask once you have done your notes how are you guys revising i'm a bit confused tbh :frown:
Reply 1464
Hard(ish) questions!

What is atheroma? (biology)

What is biofuel and biogas? (biology)
Reply 1465
Original post by NightStrider
I need 67,69 & 71 myself. Just work really hard!

You've done well to need 67, 69 & 71 for A* overall!!! considering there is 4 sections and an A* is 360/400 UMS you would have had to get almost full marks every time! i need 78,75&75 in biology, chemistry and physics respectively for A*s which is a very high B and mid B so it helps ease the pressure :smile:
Original post by adw10
You've done well to need 67, 69 & 71 for A* overall!!! considering there is 4 sections and an A* is 360/400 UMS you would have had to get almost full marks every time! i need 78,75&75 in biology, chemistry and physics respectively for A*s which is a very high B and mid B so it helps ease the pressure :smile:

Yeah, still a bit worried though.
The textbook provides little information on being able to evaluate the use of stents and artificial heart valves. Does anybody have any notes they could share on the advantages and disadvantages of the use of stents and artificial valves?
There are a few sentences in the CGP book regarding this

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't have that text book. Would you be so kind as to put them up?
Okay :wink:, all it says in the CGP book for heart valves is: "they can be repleaced with mechanical valves, replacing a valve is much less drastic procedure than a whole heart transplant. But fitting artifiical hearts is still major surgery amd there can still be problems with blood clots"

For stents it says: "stents are a way of lowering the risk of a heart attack in people with coronary heart disease but over time, the artery can narrow again as stents can irritate the artery and make scar tissue grow. The patient also has to take drugs to stop blood clotting on the stent"

It is also very restricted however, its better than nothing :tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)
Somebody please answer this 6 marker. How would you answer this question to get the full 6 marks :

Evaluate the use of artificial ventilators
Evaluate the use of artificial blood and other heart products
Evaluate the use of a biogas generator

Sample answers would really be appreciated

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Efemena15
I have those too! I agree they are superb, i use them with the CGP books and it works a treat. Controlled assessments are frustrating I agree

i got the textbook of those books. are they as good as the revision guides?
Original post by Captain Anonymous
Okay :wink:, all it says in the CGP book for heart valves is: "they can be repleaced with mechanical valves, replacing a valve is much less drastic procedure than a whole heart transplant. But fitting artifiical hearts is still major surgery amd there can still be problems with blood clots"

For stents it says: "stents are a way of lowering the risk of a heart attack in people with coronary heart disease but over time, the artery can narrow again as stents can irritate the artery and make scar tissue grow. The patient also has to take drugs to stop blood clotting on the stent"

It is also very restricted however, its better than nothing :tongue:

Thank you very much. I was particularly struggling to get many points on stents. Anybody else having problems with it?
Original post by pinkgorilla
Somebody please answer this 6 marker. How would you answer this question to get the full 6 marks :

Evaluate the use of artificial ventilators
Evaluate the use of artificial blood and other heart products
Evaluate the use of a biogas generator

Sample answers would really be appreciated

Posted from TSR Mobile

These are headings in the specification. AQA are unlikely to just plop these in as questions and are likely to give you some context and a bit of additional information for you to work from, so I can’t really provide full answers, I’m afraid.
The use of artificial ventilators could involve positive pressure vs negative, but this is unlikely to be a question since positive pressure is almost totally superior to negative pressure. What you could get though is a question on evaluating the use of an artificial ventilator against a lung transplant, being given information about lung transplants and having to apply your knowledge of organ transplants later in the spec. For this you would talk about the artificial ventilator not requiring immunosuppressant drugs, being the only choice if no donors are available and not requiring a match whilst on the other hand it is more expensive, large and uncomfortable and can ware out/ needs charging.
Artificial blood you could get artificial blood generally vs a blood transfusion or you could get given information about different types of blood and have to evaluate each. I’ll write you a sample answer of artificial blood vs blood transfusion which has all the necessary information to hit six marks, since it requires no extra content fro AQA to answer.
“Artificial blood may be considered a superior alternative to a blood transfusion, since in some cases it can be the only option. There is generally more demand for blood in blood transfusions than there is blood being donated, therefore artificial blood may be the only option until a donor can be found. Moreover, artificial blood does not require the need for the matching of a blood group, which has to be done in the case of a blood transfusion to ensure that the blood injected isn’t attacked by the body’s immune system. The need for a blood match in a blood transfusion makes finding a donor even more difficult, unlike artificial blood which is readily available and can keep longer without the need to be refrigerated. Furthermore, some types of artificial blood, such as haemoglobin based products, can carry more oxygen in the blood than red blood cells, whilst artificial blood is also a good alternative to a blood transfusion after a person has suffered a severe injury that crushes their capillaries. This is because artificial blood contains no cells so can therefore travel through even the most squashed capillaries to supply tissues with oxygen.
On the other hand, artificial bloods have had problems in trials in which they have produced alarming side effects upon patients. These problems would need to be mitigated before artificial bloods could be used on a large scale. In addition, artificial bloods break up in the body after a few hours of use, and therefore cannot be considered a long term alternative to a blood transfusion but instead only a way of biding time until a donor is found. Artificial bloods have several other problems that make them less useful than real blood. For example they are difficult to get into the blood since they don’t dissolve readily in oxygen, and many types of artificial blood cannot carry as much oxygen as real blood meaning that a lot needs to be used. They also can’t clot or fight disease, making the body weak to infection or vulnerable to cuts”.
You often won’t get the work evaluation’ but instead the wording of the question will be to’ outline advantages and disadvantages’. Check the B3 spec paper for an example of this.
I imagine biogas generator question would likely not merit a six mark question, but the rough knowledge of the advantages and disadvantages could come up. My list isn’t comprehensive so I’d appreciate some extra input here but here are some points.
Good points:
-Carbon neutral since waste used can all be traced back to plant material that takes in an equal amount of CO2 from the atmosphere as is released by burning the methane product of biofuel.
-Basically free after the generator is built.
-Renewable since waste is constantly produced, whilst fossil fuels are depleting.
-Good way of removing waste that could otherwise go to landfill and take up space, reducing living area for other organisms.
- Can be used on a small scale to provide energy for heating and cooking in even the most remote areas.

Bad points-

-Optimal biogas production in hot countries so much money needs to spend on insulation or controlling temperatures in colder countries.
-In non-agricultural areas such as the UK, the average household doesn’t produce enough waste for a family to have their own generator.
-At the moment natural gas is more profitable on an industrial scale.
Original post by Last Theorem
Thank you very much. I was particularly struggling to get many points on stents. Anybody else having problems with it?

These are headings in the specification. AQA are unlikely to just plop these in as questions and are likely to give you some context and a bit of additional information for you to work from, so I can’t really provide full answers, I’m afraid.
The use of artificial ventilators could involve positive pressure vs negative, but this is unlikely to be a question since positive pressure is almost totally superior to negative pressure. What you could get though is a question on evaluating the use of an artificial ventilator against a lung transplant, being given information about lung transplants and having to apply your knowledge of organ transplants later in the spec. For this you would talk about the artificial ventilator not requiring immunosuppressant drugs, being the only choice if no donors are available and not requiring a match whilst on the other hand it is more expensive, large and uncomfortable and can ware out/ needs charging.
Artificial blood you could get artificial blood generally vs a blood transfusion or you could get given information about different types of blood and have to evaluate each. I’ll write you a sample answer of artificial blood vs blood transfusion which has all the necessary information to hit six marks, since it requires no extra content fro AQA to answer.
“Artificial blood may be considered a superior alternative to a blood transfusion, since in some cases it can be the only option. There is generally more demand for blood in blood transfusions than there is blood being donated, therefore artificial blood may be the only option until a donor can be found. Moreover, artificial blood does not require the need for the matching of a blood group, which has to be done in the case of a blood transfusion to ensure that the blood injected isn’t attacked by the body’s immune system. The need for a blood match in a blood transfusion makes finding a donor even more difficult, unlike artificial blood which is readily available and can keep longer without the need to be refrigerated. Furthermore, some types of artificial blood, such as haemoglobin based products, can carry more oxygen in the blood than red blood cells, whilst artificial blood is also a good alternative to a blood transfusion after a person has suffered a severe injury that crushes their capillaries. This is because artificial blood contains no cells so can therefore travel through even the most squashed capillaries to supply tissues with oxygen.
On the other hand, artificial bloods have had problems in trials in which they have produced alarming side effects upon patients. These problems would need to be mitigated before artificial bloods could be used on a large scale. In addition, artificial bloods break up in the body after a few hours of use, and therefore cannot be considered a long term alternative to a blood transfusion but instead only a way of biding time until a donor is found. Artificial bloods have several other problems that make them less useful than real blood. For example they are difficult to get into the blood since they don’t dissolve readily in oxygen, and many types of artificial blood cannot carry as much oxygen as real blood meaning that a lot needs to be used. They also can’t clot or fight disease, making the body weak to infection or vulnerable to cuts”.
You often won’t get the work evaluation’ but instead the wording of the question will be to’ outline advantages and disadvantages’. Check the B3 spec paper for an example of this.
I imagine biogas generator question would likely not merit a six mark question, but the rough knowledge of the advantages and disadvantages could come up. My list isn’t comprehensive so I’d appreciate some extra input here but here are some points.
Good points:
-Carbon neutral since waste used can all be traced back to plant material that takes in an equal amount of CO2 from the atmosphere as is released by burning the methane product of biofuel.
-Basically free after the generator is built.
-Renewable since waste is constantly produced, whilst fossil fuels are depleting.
-Good way of removing waste that could otherwise go to landfill and take up space, reducing living area for other organisms.
- Can be used on a small scale to provide energy for heating and cooking in even the most remote areas.

Bad points-

-Optimal biogas production in hot countries so much money needs to spend on insulation or controlling temperatures in colder countries.
-In non-agricultural areas such as the UK, the average household doesn’t produce enough waste for a family to have their own generator.
-At the moment natural gas is more profitable on an industrial scale.

:eek: Did anyone ask for an essay? :biggrin:

Edit: Why the neg?
(edited 10 years ago)
I think it is quite unlikely that the 6 marker will be on artificial blood. Similarly, i don't really see biogas being approved as a 6 marker, maybe worth 6/7 marks in the test as a topic question but, not as a 6 marker.

Something, more visual for me is intensive farming and/or global warming as there are 5/6 points covered in the books for them.

Although, (as crazy as it seems.. sarcasm) I am not a genius so can't really predict accurately :wink:
(edited 10 years ago)
Knowing AQA they'll probably give us a six marker on something not in the specification.
Joe7 - i was thinking along those lines as well, however, there are loads of 6 mark question which they could ask us....
B3 Exam on Tuesday. B2 as well if you are retaking like me. Does anyone know what'll happen because both B3 and B2 exams are scheduled to be on same date and time.
Original post by Pistol 33
B3 Exam on Tuesday. B2 as well if you are retaking like me. Does anyone know what'll happen because both B3 and B2 exams are scheduled to be on same date and time.

You'll do one straight after the other.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending