Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I have offers from Manchester, Southampton and Loughborough to do Economics (Regret my choices now...). I also have been considering a career in IB/C and would like to know which out of the three could put me in good stead for this field? Do any of these unis have any kind of rep in the city?
    I realise none of these are target unis but hopefully with hard work I can make it happen?!
    Thanks

(Also if you wanted to be a rrreaaalyyy great person, what kind of things could I do to make myself more marketable due to the disadvantage in Uni prestige compared to LSE/Oxbridge etc)

This would be for Front Office btw, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I think Manchester would give you your best shot to be honest out of those three.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cheahbeah)
    Hi,
    I have offers from Manchester, Southampton and Loughborough to do Economics (Regret my choices now...). I also have been considering a career in IB/C and would like to know which out of the three could put me in good stead for this field? Do any of these unis have any kind of rep in the city?
    I realise none of these are target unis but hopefully with hard work I can make it happen?!
    Thanks

(Also if you wanted to be a rrreaaalyyy great person, what kind of things could I do to make myself more marketable due to the disadvantage in Uni prestige compared to LSE/Oxbridge etc)

Manchester Uni is a target university for many top employers.

ReputationRep:
    None of the three are targeted by the major investment banks particularly; you may find that Manchester is targeted by a few tier two/three banks though for front office (the likes of RBS, BNPP, Barclays etc may talk about front office; JPM, GS, MS will hold presentations on the joys of operations and technology, however). I was on the Goldman Sachs summer analyst programme and met a few front office interns from Manchester. Never seen anyone from Southampton or Loughborough either during interning or at assessment centres, although Southampton is better out of those two. So I would definitely firm Manchester.

Once there, you need to focus on being one of the top 2-5% (out of everyone applying for front office banking) in terms of your CV content and how well you interview - not the top 2-5% in terms of grades (just try to get a 2.1 and you're fine, although a first will help you with masters applications to the targets). To make it into the top 2-5%, try and get relevant work experience, failing that, accounting or business experience will still look good, and failing that, any sort of work experience which will show competencies. Join societies and work your way into society positions (within the finance society, sports societies, arts societies etc); you're trying to demonstrate competencies here. These should make your CV pretty decent; try and word everything perfectly and make non-relevant work experience sound relevant etc.

Attend a lot of events and ask questions to representatives from the banks, get email addresses and send emails; try and build some connections which will help you get first round interviews (about half my interviews this year were off the back of impressing representatives at networking events). Research the different divisions of the bank, how they fit together, how they function. Research the macroeconomic landscape; what's going on in Cyprus, Greece, the UK, Germany, China, Brazil, Japan etc. Be able to talk about the world like a banker and be able to talk about the banking industry like a banker. The people I know who made it from non-targets to front office Goldman Sachs internships were the ones who were passionate about the industry and the world economy and were able to talk about these things at a level which proved this interest (and proving interest to the banker who you are interviewing with is probably the most important thing).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cheahbeah)
    Hi,
    Thanks

Manchester > Soton > Loughborough.

Poll
Which web browser do you use?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.