Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm torn between Biochemistry and Biological and Medicinal Chemistry and I feel like being a bit more informed about what each one entails would really help.

-Is Biochemistry more like biology or chemistry?

-Does Biological and Medicinal Chemistry focus mainly on general chemistry with topics containing the biological and medicinal aspects, or is it mostly just biological and medicinal chemistry?

-If I wanted to to work in a pharmaceutical company/hospital laboratory etc, which of these two courses would be more helpful and valued by employers?

-Does Biological and Medicinal Chemistry contain more maths than Biochemistry?

Any help from anyone with any experience of either course would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Biochemistry has both chemistry and biology. I would say its the chemistry aspects of biology.

Biochemistry doesn't have that much pure chemistry. It has basic calculations and equations involved .

I guess either course could help get work in a pharmaceutical company. Obviously the jobs will vary.

I don't know much about Medicinal Chemistry. It's more related to chemistry and drugs..?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you!

I like both Biology and Chemistry pretty equally but feel like there might be more of a market for jobs in chemistry-based subjects. I don't want to forsake biology altogether because I really enjoy it, so was kind of looking for a "combination" sort of subject that still had career prospects in areas I was interested in.

Is Biochemistry generally taught within the Biological Sciences department or the Chemistry department at university?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BeccyW)
    Thank you!

I like both Biology and Chemistry pretty equally but feel like there might be more of a market for jobs in chemistry-based subjects. I don't want to forsake biology altogether because I really enjoy it, so was kind of looking for a "combination" sort of subject that still had career prospects in areas I was interested in.

Is Biochemistry generally taught within the Biological Sciences department or the Chemistry department at university?
    Biological sciences department.

You have to look into the modules taught and what you really like. Have a look at graduate employment rates for each subject?

They are both respected degrees and it is what you make out of the degree makes you employable.

ReputationRep:
    Of course. Thank you very much for your help and advice!

ReputationRep:
    I've applied for biochemistry this year, and almost all of the unis require chemistry at A level, while biology is seen as useful but not compulsory.(entry requirements usually sound like this: A-level chemistry and another science/maths.) So I suppose it has more to do with chemistry. It includes biology at cellular level.

I don't know much about biological and medicinal chemistry but from the sound of it, it seems like it deals more with viruses, drugs etc.

ReputationRep:
    I do medicinal chemistry in queens northern Ireland. It's Alright but I am not whoa! about it. Had a genetics module last semester rest of the year chemistry. Next year is enzymology and the rest chemistry. Third year is drug receptors early and late stage drug development organic inorganic and project work which includes a medicinal or biological theme. Seems to get confused with pharmaceutical science so this degree does.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    Great! Thank you all for your help.

ReputationRep:
    I went to Exeter's open day for biosciences, and the lecturer had a pretty good explanation of the difference between the two courses:

Biochemistry is looking at how the body functions (using biology and chemistry) and biological and medicinal chemistry is looking at how we can interrupt those functions. Both are said to contain equal amounts of biology and chemistry. I assume it is similar across other universities.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.