Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

I am so frustrated with a career, I just don't know what to do with my life...HELP! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Okay, so basically I am 24 years old and I have no idea what I want to do with my life. It's mad, because I should know, but I just don't. And with most things these days, I would need a degree for most employers to look at me. The thing is, I don't have any idea of a career path. I hate being stuck looking for a dead end job for money.

If I'm to go back to college, I would need to study for an access course and that would take a whole year. It's just so damn frustrating because I want to just go straight into a career, none of this studying forever to get somewhere. I know I would have to do it anyway if I wanted to get into a career, but I feel like banging my head against a wall!

It's giving me a headache deciding on what to do. I know really know what advice I'm looking for, but I guess I'm just after some useful advice or someone who's in (or been in) a similar situation?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    You seriously need to get some work experience in different fields so you know what you want to do, for example first you could try healthcare so arrange some work experience with the NHS, then retail so you could get some experience at boots etc. After this you could get an apprenticeship which is basically paid work and/or you could get on a course and know where you're going next.

ReputationRep:
    24 is still very young....
    I am in college right now and I have colleagues in their 30s and 40s who have switched careers (or simply HAD to get the qualifications in order to get better pay)...consider there is a lot of competition on the job market and between someone with experience and someone with a degree AND experience the one who is likely to get that job will be....you catch my drift !
    Careers require a lot of work but it's all worth it in the end. Unfortunately, they also take a lot of time and determination from your part...it cannot happen overnight.
    An access course could be the answer, a year is a very short time comparing to a University.

ReputationRep:
    I would advise you to go to college even if its takes a year, unfortunately its part of life we have to go through journeys we may not want to,

I am currently in my 2nd of university, I don't enjoy it, I hate being stuck in a classroom. I just want to graduate and find a job.

BUT I know that this degree will give me that.

I have 1 years and 4 months till I graduate and I know it will be worth it. P.s you 24 not 34 :-) your young! So don't think about time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhiteWalker)
    Okay, so basically I am 24 years old and I have no idea what I want to do with my life. It's mad, because I should know, but I just don't. And with most things these days, I would need a degree for most employers to look at me. The thing is, I don't have any idea of a career path. I hate being stuck looking for a dead end job for money.

If I'm to go back to college, I would need to study for an access course and that would take a whole year. It's just so damn frustrating because I want to just go straight into a career, none of this studying forever to get somewhere. I know I would have to do it anyway if I wanted to get into a career, but I feel like banging my head against a wall!

It's giving me a headache deciding on what to do. I know really know what advice I'm looking for, but I guess I'm just after some useful advice or someone who's in (or been in) a similar situation?

Thanks.
    It was the same for me at age 28. Life has taught me that there is always a way. I am now employed, making enough for a living. There are so many opportunities out there...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gmlogmd)
    I would advise you to go to college even if its takes a year, unfortunately its part of life we have to go through journeys we may not want to,

I am currently in my 2nd of university, I don't enjoy it, I hate being stuck in a classroom. I just want to graduate and find a job.

BUT I know that this degree will give me that.

I have 1 years and 4 months till I graduate and I know it will be worth it. P.s you 24 not 34 :-) your young! So don't think about time.
    You'll miss it

ReputationRep:
    It has taken me until the age of 29 to realise what I want to do so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

For me to realise what I want to do it involved working in different industries (as suggest above try doing voluntary work), life experience, talking to people about their own careers and getting career advice, The National Careers Service is a really good resource for this (https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/)

I think the most important thing is not to jump into education unless you're certain that you want to work in the associated industry, I learnt this the hard way by starting 2 very different degrees. Also don't forget there's apprenticeships and training programmes with larger employers, depending on what you want to do you don't necessarily need a degree, I don't have one and non-specific degrees are becoming less valuable.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in a similar situation, I'm 22, and 23 in September. I tend to think about it all the time! I've been in Retail Management for 18 months and I've realized it doesn't really give me much fulfillment, I have a job interview with British Airways to do Cabin Crew as I love travelling and thought I could do that for a year while I "try and find myself". I also am thinking of applying for Social Work for 2014 entry but I hear about the lack of job opportunities which is putting doubts in my mind. I have a-levels but they aren't fantastic, so I'd have to do an access course too. Just trying to weigh up the pro's and con's at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in a similar situation although I'm a year younger than you (not really much of a difference!). Since I also don't really know what I'm doing with my life I don't have much advice to offer but one thing I know for sure is that expecting something to suddenly pop up and inspire you is not the way to go. I started uni thinking ''I'll figure out what I want to do during my degree'' - well the months went by and I was none the wiser about what 'career' I wanted, then the months turned to years and now I'm a graduate and I still don't know.

I went on 5 work placements and none of them made me enthusiastic about those types of work. So I was stuck in a position where upon graduation I just had to take whatever job I could get (the recession was a huge factor) - I ended up in retail. I'm currently out of work again (also thanks to the recession) and this time I'm not waiting for an idea to hit me, or waiting for the right job to come along. I've decided to try to make money from my hobbies - since I actually enjoy my hobbies and in contrast I loathe standing behind a till and serving rude people for min wage. Whatever it is that you genuinely enjoy - pursue it. Whether that eating cheese (write a blog about it, set up a cheese business - whatever!), playing guitar, cycling, fashion, listening to others etc etc. Just stop looking outside of yourself for a second and thing about what YOU enjoy, then find a way to build it into some form of career - even if you have to take evening classes/work part time (or even full time) to fund it/apply for a small business grant.

That's my best advice - pursue something you have an ounce of enthusiasm for because whatever you get a job in will consume your life. You don't want to dread waking up each day and spend you days counting the minutes until you can clock off - honestly it's soul destroying. So yeah, find your passion, pursue it, be determined and don't listen to anyone who says things like ''oh, but in reality you'll have to get a job like XYZ''.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 10, 2013
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.