Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

How do you workout how many calories you should be eating? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I eat enough calories when I've counted them up I always end up between 900-1000.
    How do you work out your recommended calorie intake? I've tried different sites they give me different things . The one on the foodfocus website gave me 1361 based on my start weight and and how many pounds I want to lose per week and how active I am and the goal weight.

The my fitnesspal says 1200. Another online calculator gives me 1963.

Which calories should I be following? The 1963 seems like too much.
    What should my protein/fat/carbs intake be? isit 40/30/30 ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mysteriouschic)
    I don't think I eat enough calories when I've counted them up I always end up between 900-1000.
    How do you work out your recommended calorie intake? I've tried different sites they give me different things . The one on the foodfocus website gave me 1361 based on my start weight and and how many pounds I want to lose per week and how active I am and the goal weight.

The my fitnesspal says 1200. Another online calculator gives me 1963.

Which calories should I be following? The 1963 seems like too much.
    What should my protein/fat/carbs intake be? isit 40/30/30 ?
    First Step:
    1. Weigh yourself
    2. If you can go to a gym or get someone to get a Bodyfat Percentage (callipers are rudementary but will give you some sort of idea)

Second Step:
    http://iifym.com/
    or here as well: http://www.1percentedge.com/ifcalc/

Your welcome.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know any where to get the body fat percentage done. My gym doesn't do that either.
    Is there a way without doing the body fat percentage?

ReputationRep:
    Just gradually raise the level of calories you intake until you get to the point where you are maintaining your body weight. That is how much you should be eating, the greatest amount that allows you to maintain your bodyweight.

People spend ages pissing about trying to find idealised figures and ratios but don't have the patience to determine the appropriate figure over the course of a couple of weeks.

ReputationRep:
    I've used calculators they all give me different things. One gives me 1366 the other 1400 and another website gives me 2585 which is really high. Myfitnesspal gives me 1200. I'm thinking of trying the 1200 or 1400.? I don't even eat more than that daily most times I add up calories i end up to about 900-1000

ReputationRep:
    I've used calculators they all give me different things. One gives me 1366 the other 1400 and another website gives me 2585 which is really high. Myfitnesspal gives me 1200. I'm thinking of trying the 1200 or 1400.? I don't even eat more than that daily most times I add up calories i end up to about 900-1000
    That's very low, I doubt you are counting your portion size accurately. What is an average day?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hypocrism)
    That's very low, I doubt you are counting your portion size accurately. What is an average day?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    My general day would be.

Breakfast: porridge with diluted drink

Lunch: Ham , lettuce , tomato sandwich brown bread.

Snack: apple

Dinner :some form of meat with potato and veg.

I'd drink water throughout the day.

ReputationRep:
    Ignore the calculators. The only point of the figures is to give you are starting point but in your case, all they are doing is leading to more uncertainty.

All you need to do is monitor what you eat and what happens to your body weight and adjust from there. It is alarmingly simple.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark85)
    Ignore the calculators. The only point of the figures is to give you are starting point but in your case, all they are doing is leading to more uncertainty.

All you need to do is monitor what you eat and what happens to your body weight and adjust from there. It is alarmingly simple.
    I'm going to start writing everything down , I did find a better calculator on MFP that you can scan the barcode as well.

ReputationRep:
    My general day would be.

Breakfast: porridge with diluted drink

Lunch: Ham , lettuce , tomato sandwich brown bread.

Snack: apple

Dinner :some form of meat with potato and veg.

I'd drink water throughout the day.
    That sounds like a day of torture. You can eat more than that!

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.