The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by A Cat
To Gofre, let's be honest, you all get an ego trip when you wield your power. You may not have signed up simply for the purpose of ego tripping, in fact I'm sure most of you volunteered with the idea you can make TSR a better place. However, when you abuse your power as one of you did on this thread, that is where the problem exists, and it only serves to create division between user and moderator.

Let's be honest, we don't. Anyone who treated giving warnings that way would end up very bored very quickly, assuming they weren't de-modded by then. We're not exactly playing god here, for a lot of the team banning members (bots and advertising accounts aside) occupies a comparatively small chunk of our time. For every user we have to hand out a significant warning or ban to, there's enough stuff to go alongside that, that if you were motivated solely by the prospect of asserting your power the role would quickly become boring and not worth it to you. All things considered, especially the fact that moderating is an entirely voluntary task, there is too much work involved to make the rare kick you may get out of banning someone any real sort of pay-off.

I think the fact that abuses of power don't go unpunished has be sufficiently covered by now.
Shall we have a thread where we are all just nice about Mods??
Reply 262
Let's be honest, you didn't really get the message. What constitutes an abuse of power? The answer will differ from person to person. Spare me the condescending rationalisation.
Reply 263
Original post by danny111
If you have done no wrong, it shouldn't upset you what a stranger on the internet thinks.

I have never said you are lying or being offensive. In fact, I don't think you ever responded to one of my AAM posts. At least I don't remember. In fact the one mod I dislike the most has not posted in this thread. Edit: well that ain't true any more.

All I am saying is that there is no transparency (e.g. it tells us who responded to a reported post, but not who warned us) in the way you moderate, that from my personal experience you rather argue some obscure case (the one that pisses me off the most is "it is up to our interpretation") than admit you could have been wrong. I have reported several posts that were so similar to what I was warned for and been told that it is not against the rules or simply in this case allowed. Or been told the reason why a thread was closed was because it was not constructive. There was no swearing, the topic wasn't against the rules, a few of us were having a debate, I found that very pretentious to close it just because one mod deemed it wasn't "constructive". And that you judge a priori, as I said above, I have been told so many times "looking at your warnings history". As far as I can remember we go by innocent until proven guilty.

You make a very convincing case indeed!
Reply 264
Thanks for the original information bro. Your post is an excellent demonstration of your capacity for intelligence.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 265
There is nothing left to say. Anything more from you (including your last post) is attention seeking. It has been concluded - by you yourself as well - that there is no one single answer as to what constitutes an abuse of power. There is no one single objective perception of anything and on that basis I consider that any ill-emotional feeling towards the moderators is a waste of time/life, any attempt to change the system from the position of user is a waste of time, instead one should look to change one's self and realise that it doesn't really matter what happens on this website because the clean slate of non-existence will come for us all in the end.

edit: and let's be honest :wink: negging just means one is lacking in the intelligent capacity for reason and truth.
(edited 11 years ago)
After cleaning up the last couple of posts, can we please keep it constructive and not descend into spammy arguments? Thank you. :smile:

I think Tactical Nuclear Penguin has summed up many of my own thoughts to your points. Of course, every case is going to be different but we have substantive guidelines for the situations that usually arise and in cases that we are unsure, we ask for guidance from the other moderators or Section Leaders.

Original post by A Cat

At the truest level, it is simply opinion vs opinion. The user has the opinion that what they're saying is fine and correlates to their level of freedom, whereas the moderator has the opinion that the user's post is "Against the rules". What is against the rules is the following (just from the report post button) : Adult Content, Advertising, Misuse of Anonymous, Offensiveness, Spamming, Swear Filter, Thread Move, and Trolling.

If we accept the fact that signing up to TSR and agreeing to its terms and conditions binds you to the rules then I'd say a lot of rule breaks are very clear cut and mistakes in these cases tend to be rare. With certain offences, it's mostly always a case of you did break this rule or you didn't break this rule. For example, there's no real scope to argue that the picture you posted of a man's genitals did not break the rule on adult content, which includes the display of genitals of either sex. The same goes for any avoidance of the swear filter. A word is either filtered, and therefore bypassed, or it isn't. In other cases, we can't really be specific and therefore have to set out the general parameters of what is acceptable and what isn't. I think that's what you may have issue with.

Original post by A Cat
...any attempt to change the system from the position of user is a waste of time

a lack of proper codification as to what is offensive, what is spam, what is advertising, what is trolling. No moderator here wants to address this issue, yet it is quite obvious that every person is different, with different perceptions, thus what is offensive to one is comedy to another, what is spam to one is enlightening to another, ETC ETC ETC.

I think that's very unfair. We have a whole forum (this forum) dedicated to you posting your views on rules and initiating debate. I'd also point to the very recent survey (linked here) which invited feedback on what users thought of warnings and rules and then started a process to improve the system based on that feedback.

True codification would be very difficult and extremely cumbersome for both moderators and users but we are working on it. There are detailed rules linked to in the footer of every page, in the FAQ/terms and conditions and forum specific rules in the corresponding firms. The D&CA Guidelines are really good. There are a lot of specific codified rules there. You may argue that 'Posts must contribute to the discussion' is very subjective but that's there because we can't codify every specific situation, so we need a general guideline to cover it and if we are unsure of a specific circumstance, we consult with other moderators.

Behind the scenes, we are working on both making the rules clearer, accessible and easier to grasp and making the warning system fairer for members whilst still having a distributive effect.
Reply 267
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
After cleaning up the last couple of posts, can we please keep it constructive and not descend into spammy arguments? Thank you. :smile:

I think Tactical Nuclear Penguin has summed up many of my own thoughts to your points. Of course, every case is going to be different but we have substantive guidelines for the situations that usually arise and in cases that we are unsure, we ask for guidance from the other moderators or Section Leaders.

If we accept the fact that signing up to TSR and agreeing to its terms and conditions binds you to the rules then I'd say a lot of rule breaks are very clear cut and mistakes in these cases tend to be rare. With certain offences, it's mostly always a case of you did break this rule or you didn't break this rule. For example, there's no real scope to argue that the picture you posted of a man's genitals did not break the rule on adult content, which includes the display of genitals of either sex. The same goes for any avoidance of the swear filter. A word is either filtered, and therefore bypassed, or it isn't. In other cases, we can't really be specific and therefore have to set out the general parameters of what is acceptable and what isn't. I think that's what you may have issue with.

I think that's very unfair. We have a whole forum (this forum) dedicated to you posting your views on rules and initiating debate. I'd also point to the very recent survey (linked here) which invited feedback on what users thought of warnings and rules and then started a process to improve the system based on that feedback.

True codification would be very difficult and extremely cumbersome for both moderators and users but we are working on it. There are detailed rules linked to in the footer of every page, in the FAQ/terms and conditions and forum specific rules in the corresponding firms. The D&CA Guidelines are really good. There are a lot of specific codified rules there. You may argue that 'Posts must contribute to the discussion' is very subjective but that's there because we can't codify every specific situation, so we need a general guideline to cover it and if we are unsure of a specific circumstance, we consult with other moderators.

Behind the scenes, we are working on both making the rules clearer, accessible and easier to grasp and making the warning system fairer for members whilst still having a distributive effect.

There is no such thing as fair or unfair, I will soon grant you all the meaning of life and take myself out of your delicately formed hair. Perhaps after reading it, you will see the depths of yourselves laid bare. But let me make it clear: for you, I do not care.

Though I do appreciate the effort you put into this post (and while it's probably of use to other users), my interest levels in this thread quickly dipped into negative when I realised that nobody was taking into account the undeniable truth. Plus ttml's suck ups made me violently vomit all over my new shirt.
Reply 268
Original post by Ape Gone Insane

actually... i do care.

i only have one question...

Should threads discussing moderation be allowed?
Yes, free speech and all that jazz.
Reply 270
Original post by A Cat
actually... i do care.

i only have one question...

Should threads discussing moderation be allowed?

They are allowed. /end of discussion
Reply 271
Original post by Hylean
They are allowed. /end of discussion

damn... should have been more specific...

Latest

Trending

Trending