Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I am thinking of studying medicine outside of the UK, somewhere in the EU. Once I graduate would I be able to apply for a foundation programme (FY1/2) back here in the UK - after all I will still be a British citizen. Also would I be in a disadvantaged position when applying for FY1 compared to those who graduated in the UK?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matthew1994)
    I am thinking of studying medicine outside of the UK, somewhere in the EU. Once I graduate would I be able to apply for a foundation programme (FY1/2) back here in the UK - after all I will still be a British citizen. Also would I be in a disadvantaged position when applying for FY1 compared to those who graduated in the UK?
    AFAIK as things stand, anyone with a degree recognised by the GMC can apply for entry into the foundation years without bias. See the website for GMC recognised degrees from countries outside the UK. The medical school you graduated from is screened from the foundation application process and instead you're ranked by how well you did in your cohort, as well as other factors (intercalated/previous degree, and so on)

HOWEVER. This is a contentious issue, and there is no guarantee that 5 or 6 years down the line when you graduate that the FP will still accept graduates from outside the UK without bias as they do now. There is strain on the number of placements available and there are barely enough for UK students currently. It is unlikely, in my opinion, things will remain as they are now (though this is only my view).

If you want to work in the UK without the risk of potentially not making it into the FP, you should definitely work towards getting a degree here.

That's not a comment on the quality of other countries' programmes, it's just that that seems to be the way things are moving.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattKneale)
    AFAIK as things stand, anyone with a degree recognised by the GMC can apply for entry into the foundation years without bias. See the website for GMC recognised degrees from countries outside the UK. The medical school you graduated from is screened from the foundation application process and instead you're ranked by how well you did in your cohort, as well as other factors (intercalated/previous degree, and so on)

HOWEVER. This is a contentious issue, and there is no guarantee that 5 or 6 years down the line when you graduate that the FP will still accept graduates from outside the UK without bias as they do now. There is strain on the number of placements available and there are barely enough for UK students currently. It is unlikely, in my opinion, things will remain as they are now (though this is only my view).

If you want to work in the UK without the risk of potentially not making it into the FP, you should definitely work towards getting a degree here.

That's not a comment on the quality of other countries' programmes, it's just that that seems to be the way things are moving.

Good luck!
    Thank you so much for the reply, but the thing is I have failed to gain a place at medical school in the UK for the last 2 years so this is sort of my last resort.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matthew1994)
    Thank you so much for the reply, but the thing is I have failed to gain a place at medical school in the UK for the last 2 years so this is sort of my last resort.
    Not at all, did you request feedback for your rejections? Have they given you an indication as to where you've gone wrong?

If you share your GCSEs/A-levels/UKCAT/Work experience, and your choices, we may be able to guide you on more suitable choices. If you got to interview, are there any aspects you felt could have gone better? Did your choices even interview?

Two rejections isn't the be-all-and-end-all. I know someone who got in on their 4th attempt, and graduate-entrant on their 5th. It is literally, after a point, about jumping through the correct hoops for the correct choices.

What's 1 more year of work + work experience, compared to going abroad and having no guarantee of being able to work here after you graduate? Furthermore, loads of foreign medical schools have incredibly tough second year selection criteria (i.e. many first years end up not making it through) -- often because of the more lapse entry requirements into first year.

Really, I'd consider reapplying but if you share your info with us I'm sure me or someone else can guide you

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.