Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi there

Im a pq (all but case study exam) ACA with about 6 months left on my contract. I work at an absolute awful place with pretty poor pay for an accountant. Ultimately I want to move to industry. Is it possible to leave and qualify in industry as an ACA? If not is it possible to transfer to ACCA?

I've read the ICAEW website and it says you must have your training completed at an ATE - will many firms be able to accomodate this? The website gives the impression its relatively easy for firms and therefore Im thinking relativly easy for an FD to be the QPRT.

Moreover has anyone else made this move, with or without success, and completed their training?

Thanks.

Rich.

ReputationRep:
    PQ?

So 6 months from completing the qualification you want to mess about, leave your training provider, probably repay fees and for some unbeknownst reason switch to the ACCA? Struggling to understand this. Why not stick it out and have your pick of NQ positions?

ReputationRep:
    I think pq stands for part-qualified??

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies. Yes PQ as in part qualified.

The 'unbewownst reason' for transferring was if it wasnt feasible to qualify ACA in industry; I have no particular want fo qualify ACCA (im indifferent).

But I do appreciate your comment regarding waiting. Just itchy feet as planning to move 100 miles away and currently earning a crap salary.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chelt-rich)
    Thanks for the replies. Yes PQ as in part qualified.

The 'unbewownst reason' for transferring was if it wasnt feasible to qualify ACA in industry; I have no particular want fo qualify ACCA (im indifferent).

But I do appreciate your comment regarding waiting. Just itchy feet as planning to move 100 miles away and currently earning a crap salary.

Thanks
    OK, well in my humble opinion, stick it out. The ACA is well regarded, and your CV will look better with a three year training contract leading to qualification as opposed to 2.5 years (presuming standard 3 year training length). Remember that while you may be able to increase your salary with a move right now, you'll increase it even more with a move in to a qualified position. That's when the money gets a bit tasty!

ReputationRep:
    I agree, stick with it for the last bit. You'll have problems trying to justify your move in an interview, you can't tell them you moved because of the bad salary. Stick with the firm on the bad salary until you've completed the training, then you can move to a much better paid job as a qualified accountant.

And why would a firm want to take you on to train you for the last bit? If you've jumped ship on one firm, how can they be sure that once you've completed training with them you're not going to leave them too?

ReputationRep:
    Hi all, can anyone actually answer Rich's initial question - whether one can complete his ACA training whilst working in the finance department in the industry e.g. banking, insurance? :confused: Thanks...
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellyntt)
    Hi all, can anyone actually answer Rich's initial question - whether one can complete his ACA training whilst working in the finance department in the industry e.g. banking, insurance? :confused: Thanks...
    Hi there

Yes you could complete your ACA training in industry, the icaew.com main website has a list of ATEs which include all sectors: financial services, commercial, not for profit, etc.

However, I would echo the other answers in that six months would fly by, and with only the case study to tackle, I would stick it out!

Louise

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 17, 2013
Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.