Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Missing the relationship not the person Watch

Okay so, I haven't had a relationship since my ex (about a year ago). This is for a few reasons, at first I was really hurt and could not even think about a relationship with anyone and didn't see the point in dragging someone through that emotional mess.
    Secondly, I had a lot of difficult events happen in a short space of time and I needed as much time as possible to heal from everything that happened. Again, I didn't really want a relationship as I wanted to have my own space and time to think.

So now I think I have come out of everything a lot stronger. I don't think about my ex unless I am lonely and that's how I know it's not him I miss, but the relationship. I also have seen him since and never really felt attracted to him anymore so that part of my life is over.

I haven't really 'dated' and wouldn't really know where to start. I just feel a bit out of my depth and up to now, noone has really crossed my path. I don't mind as I believe that if it was meant to be it will be etc etc but I don't know how to get past this very lonely feeling of missing being with someone and the closeness that comes with relationships and just having someone there who really knows you...
    I don't want to and will not, throw myself at anyone just for the sake of 'being' with someone as I would rather wait it out, but any tips on making it easier? Or how to meet more people etc

I know it's a bit sad lol but any advice would be brill! Thank you

ReputationRep:
    I feel the same way, but don't have any solutions for you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Okay so, I haven't had a relationship since my ex (about a year ago). This is for a few reasons, at first I was really hurt and could not even think about a relationship with anyone and didn't see the point in dragging someone through that emotional mess.
    Secondly, I had a lot of difficult events happen in a short space of time and I needed as much time as possible to heal from everything that happened. Again, I didn't really want a relationship as I wanted to have my own space and time to think.

So now I think I have come out of everything a lot stronger. I don't think about my ex unless I am lonely and that's how I know it's not him I miss, but the relationship. I also have seen him since and never really felt attracted to him anymore so that part of my life is over.

I haven't really 'dated' and wouldn't really know where to start. I just feel a bit out of my depth and up to now, noone has really crossed my path. I don't mind as I believe that if it was meant to be it will be etc etc but I don't know how to get past this very lonely feeling of missing being with someone and the closeness that comes with relationships and just having someone there who really knows you...
    I don't want to and will not, throw myself at anyone just for the sake of 'being' with someone as I would rather wait it out, but any tips on making it easier? Or how to meet more people etc

I know it's a bit sad lol but any advice would be brill! Thank you
    I'm somewhat in the same boat, though me and her tried to stay friends (I'm good friends with most my ex's) but it's been bumpy, very long breakup story that I won't get into.
    But as for advice, I mean, I still feel somewhat in love with her, and miss her from time to time, but the best advice you'll get is what everyone will always tell you, just enjoy your time with your friends and with yourself, and before you know it, the right person will just stroll along. It happens, to some more often than others but it will happen. Personally I wouldn't be too worried about dating, more in just meeting new people and making new friends. Because if you go searching for them, you normally won't find them. I truly believe these people just happen along your path someday.
    Otherwise, hope you're okay and that all goes well for ya

(Original post by lvetoreti)
    I'm somewhat in the same boat, though me and her tried to stay friends (I'm good friends with most my ex's) but it's been bumpy, very long breakup story that I won't get into.
    But as for advice, I mean, I still feel somewhat in love with her, and miss her from time to time, but the best advice you'll get is what everyone will always tell you, just enjoy your time with your friends and with yourself, and before you know it, the right person will just stroll along. It happens, to some more often than others but it will happen. Personally I wouldn't be too worried about dating, more in just meeting new people and making new friends. Because if you go searching for them, you normally won't find them. I truly believe these people just happen along your path someday.
    Otherwise, hope you're okay and that all goes well for ya
    Aw, that is very positive advice! I just hate the times when I sit at home and dwell on things which isn't too often but often enough! I think it makes it harder when many of my friends are have partners and sometimes I feel like the 'odd one out' although I still wouldn't just start up a relationship with someone for the sake of it.

I think I need to make the time I spend with my friends more fulfilling

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Aw, that is very positive advice! I just hate the times when I sit at home and dwell on things which isn't too often but often enough! I think it makes it harder when many of my friends are have partners and sometimes I feel like the 'odd one out' although I still wouldn't just start up a relationship with someone for the sake of it.

I think I need to make the time I spend with my friends more fulfilling
    Yeah, in my case, my best friend is how I met my ex, and his girlfriend is my ex's sister, so I'm around them every day and I just learnt to worry about what's next not what's past. Not to say I don't think about her most days or anything, but dwelling in the past isn't good, the past hurts sometimes, but it's in the past, it no longer matters, to put it quite bluntly.
    All my friends are in relationships too, and you know what, good for them, I been in a couple of very unsuccessful relationships since her (no thanks to my feelings about her) which made me realize that one step at a time I'll get what I want, where I want. Again, hope this was helpful :P

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 23, 2013
Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.