Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Do people party in the accommodation areas as you see in American movies, I know it's a silly thing to compare to.

Or is going out to clubs the main thing people tend to do at universities? Many thanks!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    depends on the halls you're staying in. some will break up the parties, others won't. the halls i stay in are very lax and parties go on all the time but to be honest i don't enjoy them - it gets so crowded you can't move about the room and everyone smokes (which isn't nice for non-smokers like myself considering it's all in one confined space), things get damaged and stolen, and if your flat is nearby people will feel the need to randomly enter and make lots of noise if you don't lock your door. so...not a fan! but clubbing is the main thing anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I often find that its not so much parties that are had (very rare. most people cant be asked to clean up the next day)

But more pre drinks sessions.

Just find out who is going to the same club or pub as you later on. Invite em all down 2 hours early and get sloshed before hand (not so sloshed you cant get in mind you )

Very rarely there are post drinks but less than a handful turn up from these in my experience as everyone has either gone home or is too drunk to keep drinking.

ReputationRep:
    Not really. It's mostly pre-drink sessions in halls. Parties tend to happen more when people have houses.

ReputationRep:
    The American movies show parties in flats because the drinking age there is 21, so they can't go out to bars & clubs.

In my experience in the UK people tend to hold pre-drinks in flats, before moving onto clubs.

ReputationRep:
    i didn't realise my halls were a bit of an exception for parties! lucky me... :rolleyes:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Pretty much always pre drinks.

We once tried to have equivalent of a house party, but once we were ****ed we all just wanted go out anyway so it ended up as a pre drinks!

ReputationRep:
    Mostly pre-drinking before town but seeing as I couldn't go out for my first semester there were always plenty of flat parties/pre drinking sessions to be found. We had a flat party last semester, we invited literally everyone we knew. None of us could move, although since we all have en-suites in my halls I became the girl constantly letting people use her bathroom so I had a small crowd in there. Not good when I had a costume lying out on my desk so the fabric paint could dry when there were drunk students everywhere.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    The worse one is when you get hammered whilst having pre-drinks (in general).

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.