The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

OU Psychology Openings - Materials and prep?

Hi,

I am in the process of applying to the OU openings course for psychology, via the access to success scheme (awaiting registration pack). I am really excited about starting the course, and was just wondering how soon you get access to the materials? The course starts in June, but I was kind of hoping that maybe some materials get sent out earlier at all? Also, could anyone give me an idea as to what OU materials are like, in general? Are there textbooks etc as well as online things? And is the eLibrary good?
If we have to wait until the start date, does anyone have any suggestions of what I could do to prepare myself for the course? I haven't really studied psychology before, my A levels (5 years ago) were in maths, biology and ICT.

Thanks a lot!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 1
Hi I just started maths openings so can't answer all your questions. I applied quite late but had everything on my student home straight away which was about a week before the start date so you might be able to view everything as soon as you get your place. I have 9 chapters to study, 7 are in a book and the other 2 are online but I don't do them untill after EMA in June but I can access them now. I've not used the elibrary but all course materials, including the main study book and assignnment booklet are avaliable to view online. The assignment booklet even has your TMA questions in (mine does anyway) so you can prepare you answers from the moment you start.
I'm can't really tell you how you could prepare youself as I study maths, maybe just some basic psychology learning books but I was really bad at maths because I was home schoold but I'm finding everything really easy so far, I suppose all openings start off really basic so don't worry to much like I did lol.
Hope this helps and good luck.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
The idea behind Openings courses is that you don't need to prepare. So don't panic too much! If you do want to do anything then it would be a good idea to ensure you're familiar with Microsoft Word or similar - can you do a word count, save as a .doc or .rtf (not .docx if you have a newer version of Word) and do double spacing. There will probably be some maths, so do you have a calculator and know how to use it? Maybe go and do some GCSE maths practise papers if you're nervous. You could also read some guides to essay writing - the OU publishes one book that might help but it's not essential.

But you won't need anything specifically psychology related.

Sent from my GT-S5363
Reply 3
The OU's general Good Study Guide might help. There is also an Arts study guide and a study Science guide.

I've not done an opening course but I know that you spend a lot of time writing about how well you think your studies are going and what your strengths and weaknesses are.

Quick Reply

Latest