Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

What diesel saloon to buy on a 5 k budget ? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing circa 20,000 miles a year at the moment on my current car (1.4l 306) but its costing me £240 a month in petrol, and I'd like something bigger, faster and more economical.

-Looking to spend 5 k
    -Needs 0-60 in sub 10 seconds
    -Needs top speed at least 120
    -If a petrol engine then needs 45 mpg, if diesel then 50 mpg +

Currently considering:

-Audi A3 2.0 TDI
    -Audi A4 2.0 TDI S Line
    -BMW 320D
    -Seat Leon 1.9 TDI 150 bhp
    -VW Gold 2.0 GT TDI
    -VW Bora 2.0 TDI 140 bhp
    -VW Passat 1.9 TDI

ReputationRep:
    Passat. Highline spec if you can get it.

ReputationRep:
    Passats/Longitudinal PD engines have the lower flowing injectors, thus lower economy.

If you're going for a VW PD engine Bora/Leon/Golf are better.

I'd go for this

ReputationRep:
    VW Passat
    or Rover 75 CDTi automatic.

I think you could get the MG ZT in diesel but I imagine not many people bought the diesel version...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SteelStavens)
    ...If a petrol engine then needs 45 mpg...
    You'd be lucky to find this

If I've got my sums rights then your current mpg (around 43/44) is actually really good

ReputationRep:
    Ford mondeo st tdci?

Youve pretty mich got the bases covered tbh.

Although how much do stype diesels go for overthere now? Stunning engine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by member905968)
    You'd be lucky to find this

If I've got my sums rights then your current mpg (around 43/44) is actually really good

Indeed I would be lucky.

I'm getting 45 MPG out of my 306, its rated at 40 MPG, but bear in mind that I'm sitting at 70 on the motorway for most of my driving. Its a decent MPG, but its no fun to drive anymore (slow) and I'd like something similar or less cost in terms of fuel consumption and faster

ReputationRep:
    Volvo S60 D5 might be worth looking at

ReputationRep:
    Could your budget stretch to a old bmw 525d? Fast, although the 325 would be quicker, but you get a lot more with your money, more space, comfort ect And they will easily return 50mpg+

ReputationRep:
    I'd be looking for a 8/9 year old BMW with the 3 litre diesel six pot and a manual box personally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beau168)
    Could your budget stretch to a old bmw 525d? Fast, although the 325 would be quicker, but you get a lot more with your money, more space, comfort ect And they will easily return 50mpg+

Apart from space, what would a 525 have that the 325 wouldn't? (for the same price)

ReputationRep:
    Do not touch an older VAG 2.0 TDI, they are nothing but trouble.

For what you are asking, I would buy a B5 Passat 1.9 TDI PD 130. Perfect mix between reliability, performance, and economy.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 29, 2013
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.