Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

If one revised purely from CGP revision guides (no textbooks or class notes). Watch

ReputationRep:
    I revised my science GCSE unit 1 and 2 only using my CGP revision guides and got an A in both units.
    You could easily get a A* if you put your mind to it.

ReputationRep:
    CGP and past papers got me A* and full UMS.
    Definitely use them, they work.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    At GCSE they're not bad for things like science and maths (make sure they're the right syllabus and the latest version though), although I'd advise against relying on them entirely - hedging your bets might well serve you better. For stuff like English and History, though, they may be of less use, since there's a lot more room for creativity and interpretation.

At A-level I'd certainly not rely on them, though - they're decent enough for the basics but nothing beyond that, and you'll get better marks if you can argue an original or creative line on a topic rather than just reciting verbatim what was in the book (i.e. the same approach that everyone else will be using). Best thing to do at A-level is just put the effort in in class and milk your teachers' expertise for all it's worth, so that you don't have to do anything more than minimal revision.

ReputationRep:
    I work for CGP - the books are written around the syllabus and tailored to cover all you need and nothing else.
    If you have the most up to date book (so it's in line with the current syllabus/exam board requirements etc) and it's for the right level/board then you could certainly get an A* from it.
    Having said that, at A-Level and to a lesser extent the "arts" GCSEs, style and structure come into play much more within your answers (as well as your own opinions and ideas) - they can't help you there!
    Cool to see so much positive feedback - good luck revising!

ReputationRep:
    Not a fan of CGP books myself.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Used it well, got As.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tohaaaa)
    Wow... that's awesome

But my triple science teacher says that the revision guide lacks the detail needed for a higher grade and only goes up to a C ? :/
    One if my teachers told me that as well - it's nonsense. They're more than adequate for GCSE's. I only used CGP guides, past papers and the notes I'd made in class (no extra ones, and tbh I spent a lot more time using the other two methods) and I got A*s in biology, chemistry and physics

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Magnesium)
    I would say A* but not definitely 100%. There are some things missing from the CGP Science Revision Guides for some reason that are mentioned on the mark schemes.
    Whoops
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrSupernova)
    Whoops
    thats amazing i love cgp i got 100 in my re exam

ReputationRep:
    You can get A*. Teacher told me you can only get C but I learned a lot of my GCSE and A level Geography material purely from CGP and got A* in GCSE and A in A level (and I know why I didn't get A*. It wasn't CGP). If teachers tell you to revise from CGP and it goes wrong it doesn't look good on them so they might not trust CGP but its brilliant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amood00)
    A* upto a 100%

trust me I revised completely from CGP (make sure its your syllabus) for my science GCSE's, my teachers where not so good and we couldn't take the textbooks home, then all I did was past papers after past papers!

I managed to get 2 100%s and 98%. But everyone has their styles of learning

DONT BE PUT OFF BY TEACHERS THAT TELL YOU CGP ARE USELESS!, they're not.
    How did you do the past papers, i did them and i dont understand how they can be used as an advantage? i mean i know people say helps you understand the format but i dont know someone please help me
    btw im doing AQA Additional Science
    some of the past papers have things that my CGP book doesnt and that worries me because my exams are in may 2014

ReputationRep:
    Used them for GCSE and got AAB in sciences.

Currently using them for A2 biology. They basically follow the specification and give more information. So pretty much everything you need to know is in them.

ReputationRep:
    Depending on the subject, an A* is certainly possible (Sciences, English, History) but I didn't find it as useful for subjects like Maths as I learn that better using videos.

ReputationRep:
    Hang on are we talking GCSE or A-level here?

Can't speak for the GCSE ones but I've personally found the A-level Biology CGP book to be absolutely useless, the Chem and Phys books were alright but deffo not something I'd rely on as a primary revision source.

ReputationRep:
    CGP books are useless- they miss out on so many important details that are actually in the syllabus. Plus they're irritating and the jokes aren't funny :/

ReputationRep:
    If one revised purely from CGP revision guides (no textbooks or class notes), what is the maximum grade one could achieve?

(I'm NOT doing this, just a curious question).
    I got a revison guide for science and got a few marks of an A in both chemistry and physics and i didn't even do much revision, so you could possibly get an a* learning it all well and in some depth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amood00)
    they told me that too, hell even at alevel they are still telling me that!

the problem with the course textbook is the irrelevant detail, its good throughout the year but for intensive revision in easter, you need condensed notes that cgp does and that they straight to the point but you must must make sure its your syllabus otherwise it defeats the purpose.

But most importantly is the past papers! that's what matters

what year are you in?
    When you say syllabus do you mean the specification?
    Btw how do you properly use a past paper, i get stuck on additional gcse science ones on the AQA website
    some of the past papers( well most) tend to have questions irrelevant to the course
    they ask questions you cant possibly revise for in B2,C2,P2
    they even asked some B1 Questions!

ReputationRep:
    If one revised purely from CGP revision guides (no textbooks or class notes), what is the maximum grade one could achieve?

An A* depending on the subject...

I did this for biology in year 11 and got 100%

ReputationRep:
    I think a lot of the time, because they condense everything you'd have to learn/remember the entire CGP guide as you need all of it, whilst with a textbook or class notes you can forget some of it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Yes why not

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.