The Student Room Group

Meal plan to gain weight

Does anyone on here have a specific meal plan that has helped you gain weight? Basically I'm 6ft 1, I've put on 4lbs in the last 6 weeks since I signed back up the gym and been on the maximuscle cyclone shakes, so I'm now 13st 2lbs. My target weight has always been 14 to 15 stone. Ideally by the end of the year I'd love to hit 14 stone.

My only problem is my meal plan, I do have some decent days where I eat plenty of calories but other days I don't. Mainly due to not knowing what to eat. I've seen a meal plan on the maximuscle website, I bought everything on it one weekend and it cost me nearly £60. Ideally I'd be on a good diet of around 3000-4000 calories a day, and try and limit my food shop to around £30 a week maximum.

Anyone help?
Reply 1
Do you eat oats? I eat around 1000kcal of these alone daily. I've gone from 60kg to 75kg in a year without putting on a lot of fat. Whole grain foods like pasta, rice and bread are also good. I eat ridiculous amounts of carbs and it works for me. Tesco value oats are so cheap to!
Reply 2
Original post by CR-19
Do you eat oats? I eat around 1000kcal of these alone daily. I've gone from 60kg to 75kg in a year without putting on a lot of fat. Whole grain foods like pasta, rice and bread are also good. I eat ridiculous amounts of carbs and it works for me. Tesco value oats are so cheap to!

Dude, you gotta PM me your diet.

OP: Oats is a God-send. I grind oats, add a lot of mil about 750ml, add 2tbsp of peanut butter, and i sometimes add fruits, and honey. Great Kcal shake, easy to make, easy to drink.

Another great idea is to boil chicken with pasta. Make it in bulk, add to pasta, great meal plan!
Reply 3
Original post by MENDACIUM

OP: Oats is a God-send. I grind oats, add a lot of mil about 750ml, add 2tbsp of peanut butter, and i sometimes add fruits, and honey. Great Kcal shake, easy to make, easy to drink.

Another great idea is to boil chicken with pasta. Make it in bulk, add to pasta, great meal plan!

I'll post it here for OPs benefit too.

Breakfast- 125g oats with 300ml milk, banana.
Snack- 200g baked beans with 2 slices of wholemeal bread.
Lunch- 2 slices wholemeal bread with chicken and bbq sauce, lettuce and cucumber.
Snack- 125g oats with 300ml milk
Dinner- wholemeal pasta/rice with bacon and chicken, peppers, peas, corn carrots (vegetables vary)
Snack- bowl of grapes, handful of peanuts and a couple of wholemeal crackers.

Never touched a protein shake, this really works for me when lifting 4 times a week. That diet is a bit variable but I try to keep it roughly like that most days.
Reply 4
Original post by CR-19

Lunch- 2 slices wholemeal bread with chicken and bbq sauce, lettuce and cucumber.
Dinner- wholemeal pasta/rice with bacon and chicken, peppers, peas, corn carrots (vegetables vary)

Never touched a protein shake, this really works for me when lifting 4 times a week. That diet is a bit variable but I try to keep it roughly like that most days.

Thanks for the advice mate.
Reply 5
Original post by CR-19

Thank you!
Original post by MENDACIUM

thats similiar to what i do!
i usually have 300ml of semi skmimmed milk, 40g oats, 40g protein, 1.5 tbs peanut butter, 2 serving of linwoods seeds (these are a mix of seeds - check them out, excellent fats, omega 3 and calories) and some strawberries/bluberries. makes about 650calories. (you can add more calories if you used full fat milk)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
I actually started making weight gain shakes with slimfast milkshake powder in it! I know that sounds counter-intuitive but its an extra 300 kcal a shake on top of the oats, peanut butter and full fat milk. It's meant to replace a whole meal but as a snack it is ideal and I get it very cheaply.

Because I'm a skinny, lazy bastard I also started using whey protein just because I need to bulk and fast!
While doing Lacrosse training 2 times a week, a game on Saturdays, and hitting the gym 3 days (starting strength) my diet looks something like this:

Because I am in college it's a little difficult to do things like beans on toast for a snack in the AM so my diet plan may not be ideal, but it works for me!

AM
Breakfast - 3 eggs, oats (chuck on some fruit or honey and your set!) 2 tall glasses of water and a banana
Snack - Chicken/ham/horse? sandwiches and a pint of whole fat milk. Wholegrain bread.

PM
Lunch - Hot lunch, grabbing whatever looks like it might have the most meat in it with a load of (wholegrain) rice and veg is usually how it works. another 2 glasses of water too. I sometimes get sausage, chips, beans and cheese but it's not the best meal for you to be bulking on.... tastes great though :biggrin:

Snack - Weight gain shake, some ground rolled oats, peanut butter, slimfast and full fat milk. Sometimes a bag of mixed nuts if I remembered them!

WORKOUT (tues, thurs, sat)
- Whey protein shake post-workout

Dinner - Usually a (wholegrain) pasta dish with minced beef/chicken. Stir fry is also very nice, I try to eat fish twice a week for tea too just to make sure I'm getting everything I need! Other options involve sweet potatoes, liver, green beans etc.
I don't regulate this meal too tightly.

Snack - peanut butter on (wholegrain) toast or cottage cheese depending on what I can be bothered to make. Another pint of milk just to bump up my intake a little more.

I do take fish oil supplements and sometimes multivitamins if I am feeling run down but otherwise I don't bother with all that crap.

I hope that helped.

Oh, also. Friday, for me, is takeaway day! Gives your metabolism a nice spike and stops you going crazy from the obsession with nutrition! :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
You don't need a 'meal' plan to gain/lose weight.
Reply 9
I know this is years ago but I just read this and was wondering: do you warm up the oats with milk? Also, what sauce do you like to add to the pasta/rice?
Reply 10
Original post by amos.s
I know this is years ago but I just read this and was wondering: do you warm up the oats with milk? Also, what sauce do you like to add to the pasta/rice?

When I do oats I only warm the milk then add the oats afterwards.

Quick Reply

Latest