Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

How do I make female friends Watch

so basically I became 19 recently, and go Uni.
    Through out my whole life I haven't had any female friends.
    I'm a short asian guy and when I was younger I was bullied by many girls, so I always avoided them through out my whole life and just avoided any chat possible.

Now that I started Uni, there are these pretty girls on my bus, but I just want to talk to one of them, but I am shy and always lost for words when I see this particular girl (She is 2 years older from her looks) and I feel like if I dont talk to her now I wont see her next year at all after she graduates!

I just want to gain confidence but HOW?!? and what can I possibly talk about when I first approach her?

you don't understand just how beautiful her face is and how modestly this girl dresses and she is muslim also

ReputationRep:
    Just talk to her! You'll never know whether it'll work out until you do and even if it doesn't then at least your not left there thinking about the 'what ifs'. If you ever see her alone go up to her, chat to her maybe make up something like you don't know where something is and you thought she might be able to help you then go from there. You never know until you try!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    ... and she is muslim also
    Don't understand why that should enter the equation!

However, talking to girls is not that hard - funnily enough they're human too! Firstly, forget the fact that you're short or from a particular continent - that has nothing to do with it. Secondly, do pay careful attention to the time and place you pick to approach a girl. On the bus is always quite tricky, simply because there are too many people around which will add pressure on you and, more importantly, on her as well; remember girls normally don't walk about expecting to be approached by a guy, especially on a bus. If the "bus" scene is the only place you get to see her, then you could do one of 2 things:

(a) as you're getting off, smile, say "after you" and let her get off before you. Get off next and say something like "hey, I've noticed you got to the same uni as me and get the same bus everyday, I'm doing X subject, what do you do?" Simple lead in, comfortable too because she now knows you go to the same uni, are not a random person off the street and you gave the information before asking her, which means that out of courtesy she is likely to respond.

(b) you could do the same at the bus stop as you're getting on - this is slightly easier. If she gets chatting to you, then you can find a seat next to her, keep the conversation going etc.

Keep all conversations light-hearted, nothing major, just get to know her, be friendly, polite, make an occasional joke, share an interesting story/event that happened - pretty simple stuff. Don't over complicate things - that's the key! Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by superduper9)
    Don't understand why that should enter the equation!

However, talking to girls is not that hard - funnily enough they're human too! Firstly, forget the fact that you're short or from a particular continent - that has nothing to do with it. Secondly, do pay careful attention to the time and place you pick to approach a girl. On the bus is always quite tricky, simply because there are too many people around which will add pressure on you and, more importantly, on her as well; remember girls normally don't walk about expecting to be approached by a guy, especially on a bus. If the "bus" scene is the only place you get to see her, then you could do one of 2 things:

(a) as you're getting off, smile, say "after you" and let her get off before you. Get off next and say something like "hey, I've noticed you got to the same uni as me and get the same bus everyday, I'm doing X subject, what do you do?" Simple lead in, comfortable too because she now knows you go to the same uni, are not a random person off the street and you gave the information before asking her, which means that out of courtesy she is likely to respond.

(b) you could do the same at the bus stop as you're getting on - this is slightly easier. If she gets chatting to you, then you can find a seat next to her, keep the conversation going etc.

Keep all conversations light-hearted, nothing major, just get to know her, be friendly, polite, make an occasional joke, share an interesting story/event that happened - pretty simple stuff. Don't over complicate things - that's the key! Best of luck!
    this is good advice, I think.

Are you muslim as well OP, by any chance? Is that why her being muslim is particularly appealing to you?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 26, 2013
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.