Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Exercise with bad back/to lose weight Watch

Basically I'm not unfit at all (I do 12 hr+ long sessions per week focused around rowing) but the programme I have been following has included a lot of weight training and as I put on muscle fairly easily, it has made me quite heavy-bodied, which I don't really like.

As I've got a back injury at the moment rowing is out, so I'm trying to look into something different to keep my fitness up. I would ideally also like to get a bit leaner.

Using a crosstrainer is fine with my back, and I'm also planning to do wattbiking/actual cycling when the weather improves.

If I'm looking at trying to get a bit leaner, am I correct in thinking that I should do long-duration, low-intensity workouts?

At the moment I am trying out 90min (2x45min with 5min break) wattbike per day, or if I am tired of biking, 45min wattbike and 45min crosstrainer. I'm already getting a bit bored!!

So if there any other exercises (gym based or otherwise) anyone can recommend that won't be too jarring on a sore back I would be *so* grateful.

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    swimming. Alleviates a lot of pressure because of the water. And just walk everywhere, fast!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 26, 2013
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.