Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

I've recently been rejected from Oxford to read English and Russian, and after getting feedback and looking at how I applied, I realised I went about it wrong. I've decided to re-apply, just for Russian, and have withdrawn my application from UCAS.

So, I'm taking a gap year. Because I never thought I would be taking one, I'm not sure what would be best for me to do during this time to make my application for Russian stronger. Does anyone have any suggestions, since I have a totally clean slate to cover with what I hope will be brilliant experiences?

Also, I applied to Worcester College last year. Does anyone have any suggestions for good colleges to apply to this year for Russian? I was thinking of New College, since it has its own Russian tutors, and different ones from Worcester/Wadham, so I would have a fresh start.

Thanks for your help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kat Wood)
    I've recently been rejected from Oxford to read English and Russian, and after getting feedback and looking at how I applied, I realised I went about it wrong. I've decided to re-apply, just for Russian, and have withdrawn my application from UCAS.

So, I'm taking a gap year. Because I never thought I would be taking one, I'm not sure what would be best for me to do during this time to make my application for Russian stronger. Does anyone have any suggestions, since I have a totally clean slate to cover with what I hope will be brilliant experiences?

Also, I applied to Worcester College last year. Does anyone have any suggestions for good colleges to apply to this year for Russian? I was thinking of New College, since it has its own Russian tutors, and different ones from Worcester/Wadham, so I would have a fresh start.

Thanks for your help
    This sounds idiotic, but go to Russia!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by such_a_lady)
    This sounds idiotic, but go to Russia!!
    I planned to accept Italian girl on the exchange program between two cities. I had prepared for two months and today I was told that I made it in vain, cause in the last moment they found another person to accept the guest.
    It's pity.

ReputationRep:
    I'd take the opportunity to spend some time in Russia if you're able to. If that's not possible (and even if it is) read lots of Russian literature, whether in translation or not.

In terms of colleges, I really would just choose the one you'd most like to spend 3 years of your life at; the teaching you'll receive won't vary and nor will your chances of getting in.

Hope that helps and good luck!

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.