Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doctor123)
    Sorry to hear about your rejections. May I ask if you had feedback? And where are you planning to apply this time round?
    I've had feedback from Edinburgh - top sector for academic, second sector for UKCAT, but an average personal statement...
    However, I haven't yet heard from Aberdeen, St Andrew's or Leicester.
    Ah well..
    Hoping to hear soon.

This time around, I'm thinking Barts, and possibly Cardiff/Newcastle. I can only guess though - it all depends on how well the UKCAT goes! Not looking forward to that... :L

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MTW47)
    Leeds changed their admissions policy this year, I am not sure that you get extra points for having achieved grades anymore. It would probably be best to check with them.
    Say whaaaaaaaaaat?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kate_pop)
    I've had feedback from Edinburgh - top sector for academic, second sector for UKCAT, but an average personal statement...
    This time around, I'm thinking Barts, and possibly Cardiff/Newcastle. I can only guess though - it all depends on how well the UKCAT goes! Not looking forward to that... :L
    Hey I got an offer for Edinburgh this year, if you are thinking of reapplying. You seem to have done pretty well. For personal statement, I can give you a hand if you like, also Edinburgh publish a document of what they want in their references from school which I can forward to you, if you want to give it to your tutor. That's down to you though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nandos94)
    Hey I got an offer for Edinburgh this year, if you are thinking of reapplying. You seem to have done pretty well. For personal statement, I can give you a hand if you like, also Edinburgh publish a document of what they want in their references from school which I can forward to you, if you want to give it to your tutor. That's down to you though!
    Hi, I am re-applying this year. If you could send this to me I would be very grateful. Quick question...do you know which uni's favour reapplicants?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nandos94)
    Hey! could you forward it to me please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doctor123)
    Nice. Does Exeter put much emphasis on the UKCAT; are you aware of their selection procedure?

Yh pretty much straight ukcat cut-off I think

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MTW47)
    According to the feedback this year they looked at your predicted or actual grades to ensure you were going to or had got AAA, but you didn't get extra points for having already got your results. They changed this year to a system where the personal statement played a much bigger part in selection for interview. They read and scored every personal statement, so if you had a really good ps, it was possible to make up for a lower UKCAT score.
    Wow I had no idea. So they weren't using that score point thingy? Where it's like 16 for PS, and like 16 for academics, where you get +2 for actual grades? and a +1 for UKCAT > 700?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Richyp22)
    Hey! could you forward it to me please?
    Hey I'm in Switzerland at the moment, so will you please send me a PM to remind me in a couple of days.

(Original post by panjabiflower)
    Hi, I am re-applying this year. If you could send this to me I would be very grateful. Quick question...do you know which uni's favour reapplicants?
    As for the favouring of re-applicants, I don't really know which unis favour them, I just applied to my strengths. I guess the only favour you'd have is the fact you have achieved grades, but what I found is that at interview, I felt alot more mature.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MTW47)
    No that was for last year, you just have to reach minimum and then its all on ps. Also it's now MMI's (8 stations)
    Lord - I had no idea! But they are still scoring your GCSE's and A2's?

ReputationRep:
    I posted in here a week ago about applying for a HCA job and today I got a phone call inviting me to an interveiw next week !! Im honestly so happy, it's nice to have at least one interveiw this year even if its not for medicine if anyone has any tips on HCA Interveiws and whether to tell them your a medicine reapplicant or not it would be greatly appreciated This gap year is looking up already !!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bumble333)
    I posted in here a week ago about applying for a HCA job and today I got a phone call inviting me to an interveiw next week !! Im honestly so happy, it's nice to have at least one interveiw this year even if its not for medicine if anyone has any tips on HCA Interveiws and whether to tell them your a medicine reapplicant or not it would be greatly appreciated This gap year is looking up already !!
    Oh well done! Fingers crossed for you and let us know how it goes!

ReputationRep:
    anyone had any success reapplying to the same place after a post-interview rejection?

ReputationRep:
    That’s a good question and would appreciate knowing as well whether any re-applicants applied to the original universities they were unsuccessful the first time round, and how successful they were.
    Sounds like different universities have different views on re-applicants even though they may not admit it?
    Notice Doctor123 and Richyp22 posts earlier which indicate Sheffield is a tough one to re-apply if you tried first time. Did anybody re-apply to Sheffield and were successful the second time?
    I think one item which also needs to be considered is at what stage you were unsuccessful. If you were unsuccessful in November/December I would say it means your application was judged to be not suitable for interview straight away so either UKCAT score or PS wasn’t strong enough. But if you were rejected in February/March pre-interview then it means you were in a holding group waiting to see if they should call you for interview so closer to getting that key interview. Then if you were interviewed you know at least your PS was good enough but need to improve your interview skills.
    My guess is that the quicker you were unsuccessful means it is harder to be successful if you re-apply.
    The best situation is to re-apply if you were interviewed last time as you were clearly good enough to be in the final group considered for offers. However some universities like Birmingham state upfront that you cannot re-apply if unsuccessful after interview.
    But I guess the only answer is to ring the universities yourself and ask.
    Looking here it seems like most re-applicants are looking at other universities to apply the next time round but I would be interested to hear from any re-applicants in 2013 who re-applied to their original university choice, whether they were successful the second time and at what stage they were unsuccessful the first time, say either pre-interview or post interview?

ReputationRep:
    Didn't notice this thread before, sub'd!

Re: Reapplying to universities which I have already applied to
    Yes I will be, but that is simply because my only options (as a graduate applicant) are the Scottish medical schools. Last year I applied to Aberdeen, Dundee (pre-med), St. Andrews, and Edinburgh with only Aberdeen and Dundee being actual possibilities. For 2014 I'll be applying to Aberdeen, Edinburgh, and Glasgow with the qualifications I lacked before (Highers) and around a year of work experience in a hospital, so I'll be a much better candidate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MTW47)
    You'd probably be better posting in the 2013 re-applicants thread as they have all just been through the process. Good luck this time round
    Good idea, I'll do this, thanks. Has anyone here picked up any information indicating how many applicants in a particular year are re-applicants by the way. I saw a post somewhere on TSR indicating it could be as high as 30% but that may be a particular university.

ReputationRep:
    Applied for as many healthcare assistant jobs as I can find, hopefully will get something back!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tdx)
    anyone had any success reapplying to the same place after a post-interview rejection?
    :yep: Got rejected from St Andrews post-interview last year. Unconditional offer this year (:

They asked me pretty much the same questions both times round (apart from the PS ones, as I'd changed it) which made it rather easier second time round.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tdx)
    Yep, got rejected after interview by Aberdeen last year (I was absolutely gutted, and thought it would decrease me chances this year). How wrong I was. I wrote a new statement, got more work experience, and was offered another interview this year. Was much calmer, had much better interviewers who let me say everything I wanted, and I have an unconditional offer this year. Still can't really believe it, but never been happier.

Definitely reapply to the same place post-rejection. They didn't reject u because u were bad, it was because they had too many applicants. You have just as good (if not better) a chance as anyone else, and they like seeing people reapply.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Castiel')
    Hey you could volunteer at a camp for the disabled like Trekkers or Odyssians. I did that and it counted as my DofE residential so that was good and it gave me alot of experience to reflect upon for my Medicine interviews, and the week there was really fun! the people there were so nice as well and met some good friends there

Here are a few links if you want to check it out:

http://www.dofe.org/en/content/cms/d...s/residential/

http://www.dofe.org/en/content/cms/d...-disabled-peo/

Hope that helps,

Cas'
    Thanks a lot! That really helped

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TattyBoJangles)
    Do it because you want to, not because you want to score points.
    My problem is I want to do both :/ Although I could do one for the summer and one after my PS has been sent, I don't know which to do first and which to put on my PS. I mean is gap medics any good?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you prefer hot dogs or burgers?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.