Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Ive got my UKCAT on the 3rd however I dont know whether I should revise for it or not as I am not applying this year but next year. Ive revised a bit earlier on in the summer holidays. Would you advice me to revise solid for it in the one remaining day or just go in and see how it goes?

(Original post by AhmedDavid)
    Ive got my UKCAT on the 3rd however I dont know whether I should revise for it or not as I am not applying this year but next year. Ive revised a bit earlier on in the summer holidays. Would you advice me to revise solid for it in the one remaining day or just go in and see how it goes?
    If you're not applying until next year, it's not really crucial that you sit it, is it? If you're just doing it for practice then obviously do the best you can but imo there's not much point in stressing over it because it's not going to affect your application for next year in any way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PG593)
    If you're not applying until next year, it's not really crucial that you sit it, is it? If you're just doing it for practice then obviously do the best you can but imo there's not much point in stressing over it because it's not going to affect your application for next year in any way.
    Yeah Im not stressing but I just dont want an embarassing low score. It will make me depressed for the rest of the year. I was revising for it solidly at the start of the summer holday but then stopped as I had to much work and work experience to do. On my return I dont know whether I have enough time to revise as much as I want for it. I dont know whether to go in with no revision and hope for the best or to try and hammer in as much revision as I can and just see what I get. The second option seems sensible I guess but its so much effort

Yeah Im not stressing but I just dont want an embarassing low score. It will make me depressed for the rest of the year. I was revising for it solidly at the start of the summer holday but then stopped as I had to much work and work experience to do. On my return I dont know whether I have enough time to revise as much as I want for it. I dont know whether to go in with no revision and hope for the best or to try and hammer in as much revision as I can and just see what I get. The second option seems sensible I guess but its so much effort
    Don't be too hard on yourself, no one enjoys this exam (if you do...:confused:) but the way I see it for you it's a win win situation. If you do badly, be thankful this was not your cycle of application so you can learn from your mistakes and have a clean slate next year. If you get a great score then this should give you confidence that you have great potential to do even better next year so go in there 300% positive and see what you get with whatever revision you can squeeze between now and the 3rd.

ReputationRep:
    If you're not applying this year, why sit it at all? You can't carry your score over to next year. There are plenty of practice methods that don't involve paying to sit the test.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philippamalko)
    I've just sat my UKCAT and got 770 and Band 1 SJT, achieved A levels of A*AAA, AS levels were AAAA and GCSEs of 6A*s and 6As. I'm thinking of applying to Newcastle, Leeds, Sheffield and Leicester, any thoughts? i applied last year and got no interviews or offers so i want to make sure that doesnt happen again
    That's pretty similar to me - I got 770, Band 1 and A*AAA but then 8*As and 2As at GCSE. I think those are good choices! I'm also thinking of Leicester and Sheffield, but then Birmingham and Cardiff for my other two choices. Can't see why you didn't get any interviews last year!

ReputationRep:
    :drool:
    (Original post by PG593)
    When are you taking it? Well it's only a few days to go and then hopefully you'll never have to sit this exam again
    The 3rd... Just one more day of dedicated preparation :yawn:

(Original post by Dr.Ugs)
    This exam is really depressing lol!
    Well atleast you get to party afterwards

My friend was getting around that and ended up with 690 on the real thing so don't worry! KAPLAN mocks are said to be harder! How many have you done?

I was more confident about it last time :\ thinking that the 600Q book should be enough for me (the naive 16 year old) I only just got to understand its importance! Lol

Keele <3 was my fave I can't apply there now. I am sure you will do fine! Imagine how you were last year compared to this year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ooh, 690! :drool:

Do you reckon Newcastle's cut off this year will be more than 690? Surely it gets to a point where it's just taking the piss...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PG593)
    Don't be too hard on yourself, no one enjoys this exam (if you do...:confused:) but the way I see it for you it's a win win situation. If you do badly, be thankful this was not your cycle of application so you can learn from your mistakes and have a clean slate next year. If you get a great score then this should give you confidence that you have great potential to do even better next year so go in there 300% positive and see what you get with whatever revision you can squeeze between now and the 3rd.
    Cheers mate, you're a star you'll make a great Doctor Im sure

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ameelia22)
    :drool:

The 3rd... Just one more day of dedicated preparation :yawn:

Ooh, 690! :drool:

Do you reckon Newcastle's cut off this year will be more than 690? Surely it gets to a point where it's just taking the piss...
    Lol last years was 695 It may go down, who knows?
    If we had the stats for the UKCAT after the 4th we would have an idea. But I don't even know when they release that

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca-Sarah)
    If you're not applying this year, why sit it at all? You can't carry your score over to next year. There are plenty of practice methods that don't involve paying to sit the test.
    I know that there are plenty of practice methods however Ill be using them next year when it actually counts & theres nothing like experiencing the test for real.

ReputationRep:
    Also would you advice applying to Kings with A - Maths A - Biology A - Physics B in Chemistry 5A* 5As @GCSE and 685 UKCAT score?

This is for a friend who initially targetted going to oxford but is now thinking of applying to kings and imperial but still awaits the BMAT

Also would you advice applying to Kings with A - Maths A - Biology A - Physics B in Chemistry 5A* 5As @GCSE and 685 UKCAT score?

This is for a friend who initially targetted going to oxford but is now thinking of applying to kings and imperial but still awaits the BMAT
    It's pretty risky, I would avoid Kings with those stats because their selection sliding scale GCSEs/UKCAT is a bit shady, plus I knew a few applicants last year who got rejected pre-interview who had applied to KCL med school...these were their stats from what I can remember: A) 5A* 3As - UKCAT 695, B) 7A*s 2As - UKCAT 680 and 5A*s 4As - UKCAT 705. There are much safer options with those stats (which are more than enough for medicine)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mubashir9995)
    hi guys, when filling out your UCAS forms, did you put in modular grades for each subject or just one overall grade?
    im just putting in overall grade, that's what I did with finished GCSEs last year so I think it'll be fine for completed A-levels
    Might be worth asking a teacher or someone tho if you're applying through school

ReputationRep:
    Your story goes well with your name ITS MAGIC! lol

Amazing improvement, well done!

and thank you
    Haha true! Thank you! Post how it goes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ameelia22)
    I can't cope with these amazing scores, someone get me a dagger and push me onto it, I don't even have the energy to commit suicide at this rate

(THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH BEING A LITTLE BIT DRAMATIC)
    Of course there's nothing wrong with drama, it helps us get by!
    I was thinking exactly the same thing before my exam, was so depressed looking at TSR scores!
    But please don't let it affect you on Test Day - the best things you can do are; prepare as much as you can until then (with breaks), get 8 hrs sleep the night before, eat a substantial breakfast, read a few articles beforehand to warm yourself up for VR (Kaplan tip!) and go in to EACH section with a positive attitude!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tdx)
    medify's really good for ukcat, a lot cheaper than kaplan and they say they're releasing a similar course for BMAT that is 'coming soon' I imagine it will be just as good as the ukcat one
    Thanks, and is the course actually done over the internet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itsmagic)
    Haha true! Thank you! Post how it goes?
    I shall!

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

So just wanted to know if I realistically have any chances of getting into medical school this year.
    GCSE's: 4 A*'s and 6 A's.
    A levels achieved: AAB (Maths, Biology and B in Chem but am predicted an A when I re sit)
    As level: A (Religious studies)
    UKCAT: VR 500 QR 600 AR 610 DA 700 Band 2 Average: 602.5
    Applying for Medicine at: Liverpool, lancaster, bsms and exeter

Work experience: Hospital, eye ward, GP, primary school, residential home, charity shop.
    Other involvements: Lots of fundraising, head of charities at college, helped out lots at school and college, first aid course, job at kumon (tutoring company).
    Extra curricular activities: fundraising, reading novels, sports (badminton and swimming)

Any feedback will be great

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amara Naz)
    Hi guys,

So just wanted to know if I realistically have any chances of getting into medical school this year.
    GCSE's: 4 A*'s and 6 A's.
    A levels achieved: AAB (Maths, Biology and B in Chem but am predicted an A when I re sit)
    As level: A (Religious studies)
    UKCAT: VR 500 QR 600 AR 610 DA 700 Band 2 Average: 602.5
    Applying for Medicine at: Liverpool, lancaster, bsms and exeter

Work experience: Hospital, eye ward, GP, primary school, residential home, charity shop.
    Other involvements: Lots of fundraising, head of charities at college, helped out lots at school and college, first aid course, job at kumon (tutoring company).
    Extra curricular activities: fundraising, reading novels, sports (badminton and swimming)

Any feedback will be great
    We have the same GCSE's :ahee:

Your first 3 choices are good, but Exeter have a UKCAT overall cut off of 625+ from last year. I would suggest UEA? I'm sure UEA consider resits..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itsmagic)
    Of course there's nothing wrong with drama, it helps us get by!
    I was thinking exactly the same thing before my exam, was so depressed looking at TSR scores!
    But please don't let it affect you on Test Day - the best things you can do are; prepare as much as you can until then (with breaks), get 8 hrs sleep the night before, eat a substantial breakfast, read a few articles beforehand to warm yourself up for VR (Kaplan tip!) and go in to EACH section with a positive attitude!
    The TSR test scores are such a joy kill.
    That's the plan haha, thanks for the tips!

Lol last years was 695 It may go down, who knows?
    If we had the stats for the UKCAT after the 4th we would have an idea. But I don't even know when they release that

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Like end of October isn't it?

WHY NEWCASTLE WHY

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.