The Student Room Group

2014 Medicine Re-Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hugby1
Guysss, really need some help on interpreting my results - they're so unbalanced!! (Does that matter?!?!?)

VR: 670

QR: 720

AR: 650

DA: 870

AVERAGE: 727.5

SJT: Band 1

Which medical schools use the UKCAT average, and which look at particular modules? If this has already been answered please point me in the right direction. All help is much appreciated, please reply on the thread or private message would be great.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Your ukcat isn't that unbalanced, mine ranged from 510-900. Nottingham put weighings on each ukcat category but no one knows how its done. Other universities have cut off for each section but to be honest you've proberbly exceeded them so you could apply to almost anywhere.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi all, I am a re-appling for medical school hoping for some interviews this time as last year my ukcat was 580 and AS's were ABC (what was I thinking)

Currently I have:
A levels: AAA in Bio Chem and Maths with A at AS in History
4A*'s and 6 A's at GCSE
UKCAT score of 705 (although I got 460 in VR haha) SJT Band 3
Work experience of a week in a hospital, coaching a special needs rugby team, care assistant job in a care home and I'm off to volunteer in a hospital in Africa for 3 months in May.

I am hoping to apply to Newcastle, Glasgow, Dundee and UEA/Sheffield/Hull-York. Do you think these choices are a good or bad idea? And if any uni's look at each sub test on the ukcat separately? Thanks! :smile:
Original post by MadamePuddifoot
Hey I just sent my UCAS form off and for some reason I was under the impression that there would be somewhere where I would be able to declare that I've previously applied through UCAS but there wasn't. Did I just make that up? Am I supposed to notify UCAS in any way? Sorry if this has been asked before :colondollar:

Does anyone know? :smile:
Original post by Amara Naz
Cool :biggrin:
I would apply for UEA but they ask for an A* in Chemistry if I resit it which is impossible for me :P
So i guess i'll just apply to exeter and be prepared for a rejection as I have no other choice

im in pretty much exactly the same situation as you, applying to the same uni's and resitting chem, i got 685 but i still think its too low for exeter, so im thinking about resitting biology to get predicted an a* so i can apply to UEA so ill have a realistic chance of an interview
Reply 2104
Hi, I know there might have already been discussion about it, but I'm really worried because my personal statement is really similar to my one last year. Will I get penalised for not having changed it much?
Original post by Oliviaa4
Hi, I know there might have already been discussion about it, but I'm really worried because my personal statement is really similar to my one last year. Will I get penalised for not having changed it much?

Same here!
Lmao PS help service is temporarily closed :rofl:

When something is free, we all gotta grab it! :mmm:
Reply 2107
Yo guyz, when I went to Exeter I was really out off by the fact the medical school was kinda out of the way of the rest of the campus. Oh and you're stuck out there with the sports science jocks. Anyone else get this feeling?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi guys, new member here :smile:

I'm thinking of applying to med school, and wanted to get any feedback about my chances of getting in. Here's my stats:

Achieved A levels: A*A*BB in Maths, Bio, Chem & Further Maths respectively
As level: A in French
IGCSE's: 8A*s, an A and B
UKCAT: Average = 770, Band 2. Total = 3080

UCAS tarriff: 610 (extra A level + music qualification)
Applying for Medicine at: Keele, Bart's, King's, St. George's (?)

Work experience: Hospital, neuro rehab centre, primary school, day care centre, cancer care centre.
Extra curricular activities: Music (post Gd 8 piano), form assistant for junior school, badminton

Thanks for your help!
Original post by Hugby1
Yo guyz, when I went to Exeter I was really out off by the fact the medical school was kinda out of the way of the rest of the campus. Oh and you're stuck out there with the sports science jocks. Anyone else get this feeling?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've never been to Exeter, I'm just in love with the idea of it lol.

Has everyone been to the universities they're applying to?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've put down 4 medicine and 1 biomed at Buckingham but it says I've exceeded my 4 medicine choices! I called ucas and they told me to use a different browser, still hasn't worked! ImageUploadedByStudent Room1380727737.392653.jpg
Reply 2111
Original post by SuziieB

Posted from TSR Mobile

I ain't been to all Uni's i'm applying to. It's a bit annoying but couldn't go to all of em. Its not going to matter though plenty of other places to get info
Original post by SuziieB

Posted from TSR Mobile

I haven't been to any due to my ridiculous work hours and lack of money. I just looking at reviews and hoping for the best.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Don't wanna appear stupid but is there street view for Exeter? Forgive my misconceptions but when I went to Devon, it seemed like mostly fields and sheep.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2114
Original post by kevin braniff
:smile:

that's quite similar to what i'm thinking, I got 702.5 and I'm atm going to apply Newcastle (quite risky I guess but it's based on number who apply and quite a few last year applied hence the increase), Glasgow and hull york as well (you know 700+ scores are guaranteed interviews so if youre on the fence about the fourth place than HY could be a good shout). They dont really look at individual scores I don't think except i'm not at all sure how these places are suing SJ except that newcastle isn't.
Reply 2115
Ok guys. I HAVE been to Exeter med school, formerly peninsula, and I can say I was NOT impressed. The med campus is very much separate from the Exeter uni campus which sucked big time. However I not sure how this plays out in real life, but for open day it really put me off, deal breaker actually. However, the actual campus was lovely, if a little far from the city centre, and I can reliably say it has the best tree:student ratio in the UK. (Fun fact)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone know any universities that do not accept Re applicants, more specifically re applying to the same university?
Reply 2117
Original post by richtea5
that's quite similar to what i'm thinking, I got 702.5 and I'm atm going to apply Newcastle (quite risky I guess but it's based on number who apply and quite a few last year applied hence the increase), Glasgow and hull york as well (you know 700+ scores are guaranteed interviews so if youre on the fence about the fourth place than HY could be a good shout). They dont really look at individual scores I don't think except i'm not at all sure how these places are suing SJ except that newcastle isn't.

Called Newcastle. Last year cut off = 695. The lovely lady also said it's gone up every year without fair... Heads up buddy, that's all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2118
Original post by Hugby1
Called Newcastle. Last year cut off = 695. The lovely lady also said it's gone up every year without fair... Heads up buddy, that's all.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, I realise it's close to the line and is a risk. It's true it's gone up every year but last years increase was crazy (30 points-ish) because there was a significant increase in applicants- could be same again with more applicants pushing up the cut off but no way of knowing.
It's a shame because it is my ideal place in terms of the course but I think i'll look whether there are other safer options as well.
where are you planning on applying? :smile:
Original post by Hugby1
Ok guys. I HAVE been to Exeter med school, formerly peninsula, and I can say I was NOT impressed. The med campus is very much separate from the Exeter uni campus which sucked big time. However I not sure how this plays out in real life, but for open day it really put me off, deal breaker actually. However, the actual campus was lovely, if a little far from the city centre, and I can reliably say it has the best tree:student ratio in the UK. (Fun fact)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really? How far was it from the rest of the uni? Are med students then isolated from everyone else?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending