Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

(Original post by itsmagic)
    So..I have been deciding over universities for quite some time now and I've narrowed it down to three! But I can't for the life of me choose the fourth one!
    It's between Exeter, BSMS, St George's and Sheffield!
    Got 9 A*s at GCSE (and a distinction* in this music BTEC I did) and my achieved A2 grades are AAAB (As in bio, chem and maths, B in Spanish).
    My UKCAT is 790, band 2 SJT.
    Obviously I know it depends on my personal statement (and possibly reference) too but, from these stats, which one would you think I'd have a better chance at?
    Hope everyone's application is going well

(note: I'm not being lazy, I've read over website info, admissions policies and forums to death and I still can't come to a reasonable decision!)
    With those stats, I'd go for St. George's, you'd get an interview there I'm sure. Sheffield is also another great choice but SGUL would fit your stats perfectly!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PG593)
    With those stats, I'd go for St. George's, you'd get an interview there I'm sure. Sheffield is also another great choice but SGUL would fit your stats perfectly!
    Thank you! I'll have another look at them
    Where are you applying?

ReputationRep:
    I've just sent my UCAS off to my referee. St George's, King's, Dundee, Manchester and Newcastle (Biomed) are my final choices in case anybody's interested. I'm still worried about my personal statement but there's nothing more to be done now, so it's off!

ReputationRep:
    I am having trouble choosing my fourth choice and I was hoping you guys had some suggestions, so far I have; Leeds, Liverpool and Sheffield. My stats are:
    GSCE's: 3A*'s, 5A's and 2B's
    Alevels: AAAbb
    UKCAT: 698
    I think my personal statement is relatively strong as i have done a month volunteering in a gambian hospital, have 10 weeks volunteering and I been volunteering at a care home for a year and I am also a national swimmer (i have also mentioned over stuff to make me sound like a well rounded person)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SusieShire)
    I've just sent my UCAS off to my referee. St George's, King's, Dundee, Manchester and Newcastle (Biomed) are my final choices in case anybody's interested. I'm still worried about my personal statement but there's nothing more to be done now, so it's off!
    :drool: = your choices

AND GOOD FOR YOU FOR GOING SCOTTISH WITH DUNDEE

I would have really liked to be able to apply there but am I the only one that thinks scottish medical schools prefer scottish applicants? Perhaps just a myth though...

Good luck!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ameelia22)

I would have really liked to be able to apply there but am I the only one that thinks scottish medical schools prefer scottish applicants? Perhaps just a myth though...

Good luck!!
    Thanks, I think they allocate places for Scottish students so there's less places for "Rest of UK" students than English medical schools would have. Maybe I should drop hints at the interview that I'm half Scottish. Loads of my family lives in Scotland.

ReputationRep:
    hEY gUYS,
    Anyone willing to help me out a little,
    My stats
    GCSE: 5A* 7A
    A2: AAAb
    UKCAT: 460,670,800,870 (avg. 700 ) Band 2
    Considering applying to : Kings, Queens, BMS and HYMS and imperial for Life Science as insurance
    I really wanted to apply to St Georges but as I got below 500 in VR I cant !!

What do you guys think... any luck? Are my choices appropriate?
    Have 2 days before I have to submit as Iam doing it through school.
    Help pls.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ameelia22)

Good luck!!
    'tis a miff.

Well, they allocate different numbers to 'Scottish', 'RUK' and 'International'.

Here (St A), there's something like 1/3rd split between the groups (we did a survey thing using clickers in our first week).
    I think Dundee only have something like 28 places for RUK, but if I got an offer, no reason why others shouldn't

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SusieShire)
    Thanks, I think they allocate places for Scottish students so there's less places for "Rest of UK" students than English medical schools would have. Maybe I should drop hints at the interview that I'm half Scottish. Loads of my family lives in Scotland.
    The number of places is pretty proportional to the number of applicants though. As an English student you have your pick of Scot/Eng/Welsh/NI schools, Scottish students are pretty limited by funding so tend to stay in Scotland.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FlavaFavourFruit)
    That wiki needs updating
    It's now gonna be full MMI, no group! It's on their website
    Thanks for the heads-up - I've amended my earlier post. However, the info I posted seems consistent with what I found on their website just now, on page 3 of this possibly out-of-date PDF. The fact that the document was produced in Nov 2012 suggests it could be out-of-date, but the fact that it is still linked from their website suggests the opposite. Can you give a link to the place you found your info, so I can update the wiki? - if they've got out-of-date info on their website, I'll alert them.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys how do I put resits on ucas form. Got achieved a levels of A*A*BB so resitting Chem and maths in my gap year. Thanks in advance for the help.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1357)
    why would you need extenuating circumstances to apply to Cardiff?

Because im a resit applicant and they only acceot resit applicants with exentusting circumstances if im right

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kashc94)
    Hey guys how do I put resits on ucas form. Got achieved a levels of A*A*BB so resitting Chem and maths in my gap year. Thanks in advance for the help.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    put them in once as with the grades achieved and then again but with pending grades )

ReputationRep:
    Hey can anyone help me? My A levels are A*AA (Bio,chem and maths respectively) and an additional A at AS level (Irish). So in my UCAS application should I only put in that one AS (Irish) or should I list all four AS results I got at the time (AAAB in bio,chem,irish and maths respectively). Its just I repeated a few of my maths modules to get my Maths up to an A at a level. Hope this makes sense! lol

ReputationRep:
    Hello there, I am an overseas student. Wishing to do medicine degree here. I have done access to medicine course with distinctions in all modules. I had applied twice in the last two years but could not get any place even I had two interviews at Liverpool and Cardiff medical schools. My ukcat score was 480 and 510 respectively.

This is my third try and this time my score is 587. Highest is 810 in DA with lowest 400 in VR. Any advice where should I apply? Thanks in advance

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tdx)
    put them in once as with the grades achieved and then again but with pending grades )
    Do I need to add the exam centre again and then add the subjects as pending? And is there anywhere on the ucas form where u can show that u applied the previous year so u can use most of ur old personal statement? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kashc94)
    Do I need to add the exam centre again and then add the subjects as pending? And is there anywhere on the ucas form where u can show that u applied the previous year so u can use most of ur old personal statement? Thanks
    No, you do not need to enter the centre again, just add another a-level under the same centre I'm not sure about showing you applied previously, however I'm also unsure how that would enable you to 'make the most of your old personal statement'? what are you getting at here? .. you are perfectly entitled to use your old statement again! also if you apply to the same uni again, they will almost certainly know you applied last year and other uni's will be able to guess pretty accurately if you have previously applied for medicine or not!

ReputationRep:
    Hi! Just completed my UKCAT this morning - Pretty bittersweet score tbh :ashamed2:
    VR 540
    QR 540
    AR 770
    DA 810
    SJ Band 1
    Average: 665
    Wasn't really expecting above 650 if i'm honest, with the lack of preparation (also has some issues at home).
    Achieved a levels grades: AAA in Bio, Chem, Maths and A in AS Economics, B in AS Critical Thinking.
    GCSE's: 5A*'s, 3A's, 1B.

Other: 1 week GP Surgery, 2 weeks hospital placement, was coaching rep, Student Health Ambassador at & Head of Events on the Student Executive board in college, worked in retail store part time, currently a volunteer as West Midlands Fire Station, I plan on working for most my Gap year. Also attended a Medicine career event at Keele Uni in year 12.

I'm supposed to pick my choices by tomorrow, and send to college.
    Honestly guys, what prospects do I have for medicine, at which unis? I'm seeing too much conflicting information, getting more and more confused :confused::confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXxAthenaxXx)
    Hi! Just completed my UKCAT this morning - Pretty bittersweet score tbh :ashamed2:
    VR 540
    QR 540
    AR 770
    DA 810
    SJ Band 1
    Average: 665
    Wasn't really expecting above 650 if i'm honest, with the lack of preparation (also has some issues at home).
    Achieved a levels grades: AAA in Bio, Chem, Maths and A in AS Economics, B in AS Critical Thinking.
    GCSE's: 5A*'s, 3A's, 1B.

Other: 1 week GP Surgery, 2 weeks hospital placement, was coaching rep, Student Health Ambassador at & Head of Events on the Student Executive board in college, worked in retail store part time, currently a volunteer as West Midlands Fire Station, I plan on working for most my Gap year. Also attended a Medicine career event at Keele Uni in year 12.

I'm supposed to pick my choices by tomorrow, and send to college.
    Honestly guys, what prospects do I have for medicine, at which unis? I'm seeing too much conflicting information, getting more and more confused :confused::confused:
    That's a good score which will be suffiecient for you to gain a place studying medicine (so long as you perform well in your ps, reference and interview). I'd say you stand a good chance at Exeter, UEA, BSMS and Plymouth among others! Give this a look through: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...your_Strengths

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone help? reeeally tied between Bristol and Liverpool and not sure which uni I'd have a better chance of an interview at.

stats:
    9A*s 2As at GCSE
    A*A*A achieved A2s in biology psychology and chemistry
    UKCAT average 593 band 1 SJ
    apparantly quite a strong PS as I'm working full time in an acute stroke ward as a physio assistant for my gap year.
    other 3 choices are Cardiff, Brighton and Lancastar.

Any advice?!

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.