Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca-Sarah)
    The fact that they are only scoring academics (A2) and UKCAT is made pretty clear on the website. That suggested cut off is picked out of mid air and I suggest you ignore it.
    Ok thanks, so Aberdeen? I will tell him and see. He was saying that the average interview score in dundee was 641 as he rang them and asked

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,
    having a last minute panic about sending off ucas application.
    I have AAAb at alevels and 5A* 4A 3Distinction.
    UKCAT :460,670,800,870.Band 2. (avg.700)

Applying to Kings, Sheffield, Nottingham and Leicester.
    What do you guys think about my choices. I am really worried about 460 in VR. Do you think any of my uni look at individual section,
    Thank you in advance.

ReputationRep:
    Having trouble deciding on my final choice, need some advice!
    my gcses are poor for medic standard: 1.5A* 5A 2B 1C, however I have the A*/As in the sciences, maths and English
    A-levels: A*AAa
    UKCAT: 797.5 band 2
    Work/Work experience: 3 hours a week in a hospital, 2 days a week at a special needs school (plus 4 hours a week as a science technician there), 1 week in physiotherapy, 1 day in ENT surgery, 2 jobs as a waiter

im so far applying to HYMS, Southampton and Exeter, where else do I stand a strong chance? Basically what unis don't care about gcses but love the ukcat and work experience?
    thanks!

(Original post by mcollin1)
    Having trouble deciding on my final choice, need some advice!
    my gcses are poor for medic standard: 1.5A* 5A 2B 1C, however I have the A*/As in the sciences, maths and English
    A-levels: A*AAa
    UKCAT: 797.5 band 2
    Work/Work experience: 3 hours a week in a hospital, 2 days a week at a special needs school (plus 4 hours a week as a science technician there), 1 week in physiotherapy, 1 day in ENT surgery, 2 jobs as a waiter

im so far applying to HYMS, Southampton and Exeter, where else do I stand a strong chance? Basically what unis don't care about gcses but love the ukcat and work experience?
    thanks!
    I'd definitely pick Newcastle mate, definitely would get you an interview there!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shaimaa95)
    Oh. Can you tell me about your insights? I'm so stuck!
    I got rejected post interview last year. They have to reject SO many people so your PS had to be amazing for you to be considered. You really have to stand out!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Priya_Biju)
    Hey guys,

What do you guys think about my choices. I am really worried about 460 in VR. Do you think any of my uni look at individual section,
    Thank you in advance.
    I wouldn't apply to kings, you would need more A*s at gcse tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PG593)
    I'd definitely pick Newcastle mate, definitely would get you an interview there!
    I applied last year and got a post-interview rejection, I heard somewhere that you can't re apply if you were rejected post interview?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mcollin1)
    I applied last year and got a post-interview rejection, I heard somewhere that you can't re apply if you were rejected post interview?
    Some have a policy! You should ask them

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

Thank you in advance.
    Nottingham have a subtest cut of score an I'm not sure your VR score would meet it. I didn't apply there either because i got 490 on VR lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FlavaFavourFruit)
    I wouldn't apply to kings, you would need more A*s at gcse tbh.
    For GCSE, I went to a comprehensive school and I got the highest in my school. However for my A levels I went to a grammar school.
    Would they look at where I did my GCSE. I have mentioned this in my PS.

ReputationRep:
    I thought Nottingham scores individual sections, I never knew they have a cut off for each sub sections. Do they?

ReputationRep:
    For GCSE, I went to a comprehensive school and I got the highest in my school. However for my A levels I went to a grammar school.
    Would they look at where I did my GCSE. I have mentioned this in my PS.
    I don't think kcl will bother about what school you go to...unless you have extenuating circumstances.
    I know many people who went t comprehensive schools and did brilliantly academically.

Also you really shouldn't be mentioning that in your PS. : S a no go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr.Ugs)
    Nottingham have a subtest cut of score an I'm not sure your VR score would meet it. I didn't apply there either because i got 490 on VR lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I thought Nottingham scores individual sections, I never knew they have a cut off for each sub sections. Do they?

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah sorry! I just checked it an it did say scored! I thought it would be the same as Plymouth but it's not! I'm so sorry for my confusion lol

I would still not meet their GCSE requirements lol so still not applying there.

Kings is a risky one for you though so consider it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah sorry! I just checked it an it did say scored! I thought it would be the same as Plymouth but it's not! I'm so sorry for my confusion lol

I would still not meet their GCSE requirements lol so still not applying there.

Kings is a risky one for you though so consider it

Posted from TSR Mobile
    phew ! lol, I had a mini panic attack there. lol. Thanks for clarifying it thou.
    I know, Kings is a bigggg risk. But I feel that I should take the risk anyways or else I will regret not applying. I always wanted to go and study medicine at Kings. Well, I like all my choices but you know... Would love to study in London.
    A risk worth taking

ReputationRep:
    I know many people who went t comprehensive schools and did brilliantly academically.
    I know many people at comprehensive school do exceptionally well academically. But I got the highest my school have ever seen (kind of gives u an idea of the quality of teaching at my school). I had to self teach GCSE Maths to myself as I had supply teacher for the whole of year 10 and half of year 11. Was the only person who got A* in it too. :/
    #Dagenham

Oh well, gonna give Kings a try.

ReputationRep:
    I know many people at comprehensive school do exceptionally well academically. But I got the highest my school have ever seen (kind of gives u an idea of the quality of teaching at my school). I had to self teach GCSE Maths to myself as I had supply teacher for the whole of year 10 and half of year 11. Was the only person who got A* in it too. :/
    #Dagenham

Well done! Perhaps you can include it in your reference if you really want to.

Sure, give kcl a try, it's your application

ReputationRep:
    phew ! lol, I had a mini panic attack there. lol. Thanks for clarifying it thou.
    I know, Kings is a bigggg risk. But I feel that I should take the risk anyways or else I will regret not applying. I always wanted to go and study medicine at Kings. Well, I like all my choices but you know... Would love to study in London.
    A risk worth taking
    Im in the same situation! I have three choices where my application stands fairly strong and one risky one that I really like! (Durham- with a UKCAT of 707.5 people are saying its really risky because its likely to increase from last years 695!!)

Well I hope you get in

ReputationRep:
    I don't think kcl will bother about what school you go to...unless you have extenuating circumstances.
    #Dagenham

Going to a comprehensive school can be mitigating circumstance (an example I can give is my own, I went to a sixth form that was the WORST in Manchester and has the lowest pass rate. ALL my friends walked out with Es and Us which really shows that going to a certain school can effect your performance) For this reason, my application was flagged for Keele medical school as well as Manchester last year. So you would be at a slight advantage.

I would suggest you check on the gov website to see where your school stands and have a look at what universities consider as extenuating circumstances and the contextual flagging criteria.

ReputationRep:
    LOL no chance and thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Lol I also thought you were a boy

I also researched UGS when I saw your name and I thought you had the name Dr. UGS to stand for

Urmston Grammar School

a sixth form based in Manchester lol

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.