The Student Room Group

2014 Medicine Re-Applicants

Scroll to see replies

I thought Nottingham scores individual sections, I never knew they have a cut off for each sub sections. Do they?
Original post by Priya_Biju
For GCSE, I went to a comprehensive school and I got the highest in my school. However for my A levels I went to a grammar school.
Would they look at where I did my GCSE. I have mentioned this in my PS.

I don't think kcl will bother about what school you go to...unless you have extenuating circumstances.
I know many people who went t comprehensive schools and did brilliantly academically.

Also you really shouldn't be mentioning that in your PS. : S a no go.
Original post by Dr.Ugs
Nottingham have a subtest cut of score an I'm not sure your VR score would meet it. I didn't apply there either because i got 490 on VR lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

I thought Nottingham scores individual sections, I never knew they have a cut off for each sub sections. Do they?
Reply 2383

Oh yeah sorry! I just checked it an it did say scored! I thought it would be the same as Plymouth but it's not! I'm so sorry for my confusion lol

I would still not meet their GCSE requirements lol so still not applying there.

Kings is a risky one for you though so consider it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dr.Ugs
Oh yeah sorry! I just checked it an it did say scored! I thought it would be the same as Plymouth but it's not! I'm so sorry for my confusion lol

I would still not meet their GCSE requirements lol so still not applying there.

Kings is a risky one for you though so consider it

Posted from TSR Mobile

:smile::smile: phew ! lol, I had a mini panic attack there. lol. Thanks for clarifying it thou.
I know, Kings is a bigggg risk. But I feel that I should take the risk anyways or else I will regret not applying. I always wanted to go and study medicine at Kings. Well, I like all my choices but you know... Would love to study in London.
A risk worth taking :tongue:
Original post by FlavaFavourFruit

I know many people who went t comprehensive schools and did brilliantly academically.

I know many people at comprehensive school do exceptionally well academically. But I got the highest my school have ever seen (kind of gives u an idea of the quality of teaching at my school). I had to self teach GCSE Maths to myself as I had supply teacher for the whole of year 10 and half of year 11. :s-smilie: Was the only person who got A* in it too. :/
#Dagenham :redface:

Oh well, gonna give Kings a try.
I know many people at comprehensive school do exceptionally well academically. But I got the highest my school have ever seen (kind of gives u an idea of the quality of teaching at my school). I had to self teach GCSE Maths to myself as I had supply teacher for the whole of year 10 and half of year 11. :s-smilie: Was the only person who got A* in it too. :/

Well done! Perhaps you can include it in your reference if you really want to.

Sure, give kcl a try, it's your application :biggrin:
Reply 2387
:smile::smile: phew ! lol, I had a mini panic attack there. lol. Thanks for clarifying it thou.
I know, Kings is a bigggg risk. But I feel that I should take the risk anyways or else I will regret not applying. I always wanted to go and study medicine at Kings. Well, I like all my choices but you know... Would love to study in London.
A risk worth taking :tongue:

Im in the same situation! I have three choices where my application stands fairly strong and one risky one that I really like! (Durham- with a UKCAT of 707.5 people are saying its really risky :frown: because its likely to increase from last years 695!!)

Well I hope you get in :smile:
Reply 2388
Original post by FlavaFavourFruit
I don't think kcl will bother about what school you go to...unless you have extenuating circumstances.

Going to a comprehensive school can be mitigating circumstance (an example I can give is my own, I went to a sixth form that was the WORST in Manchester and has the lowest pass rate. ALL my friends walked out with Es and Us which really shows that going to a certain school can effect your performance) For this reason, my application was flagged for Keele medical school as well as Manchester last year. So you would be at a slight advantage.

I would suggest you check on the gov website to see where your school stands and have a look at what universities consider as extenuating circumstances and the contextual flagging criteria.
Reply 2389
Original post by Dr.Ugs
LOL :colondollar: no chance :tongue: and thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol I also thought you were a boy

I also researched UGS when I saw your name and I thought you had the name Dr. UGS to stand for

Urmston Grammar School

a sixth form based in Manchester lol
Reply 2390
Original post by AhmedDavid
Lol I also thought you were a boy

I also researched UGS when I saw your name and I thought you had the name Dr. UGS to stand for

Urmston Grammar School

a sixth form based in Manchester lol

You just made me LOL :ahee:

Thats actually a really clever way to make sense of my name! Taking into account im from Manchester! Nice one :biggrin: Although I never went to UGS :tongue:
To be honest I thought it was a reference to Ugg Boots....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2392
Original post by A.Systole
To be honest I thought it was a reference to Ugg Boots....

Posted from TSR Mobile

second person to think that :smile: I dont even own a set of those:colondollar:
Reply 2393
Original post by Dr.Ugs
Going to a comprehensive school can be mitigating circumstance (an example I can give is my own, I went to a sixth form that was the WORST in Manchester and has the lowest pass rate. ALL my friends walked out with Es and Us which really shows that going to a certain school can effect your performance) For this reason, my application was flagged for Keele medical school as well as Manchester last year. So you would be at a slight advantage.

I would suggest you check on the gov website to see where your school stands and have a look at what universities consider as extenuating circumstances and the contextual flagging criteria.

Keele flag students who went to poor performing schools? source?
Reply 2394
Original post by MX123
Keele flag students who went to poor performing schools? source?

I have spoken to the admissions tutors on numerous occasions last year because I attended quite a few of the medical events held there :smile:

Here is a document that outlines how they flag. My application was definitely flagged last year as I asked them it after I sent it off.

http://www.keele.ac.uk/health/schoolsandcollegeliaison/WP%20Strategy%20final.pdf

If you look at Page 9 you will find the reference.

I think they have adopted some of the strategies from Manchester Medical school as they initiated Keele Med school! :biggrin:

Hope that helps
Reply 2395
Original post by Dr.Ugs
I have spoken to the admissions tutors on numerous occasions last year because I attended quite a few of the medical events held there :smile:

Here is a document that outlines how they flag. My application was definitely flagged last year as I asked them it after I sent it off.

http://www.keele.ac.uk/health/schoolsandcollegeliaison/WP%20Strategy%20final.pdf

If you look at Page 9 you will find the reference.

I think they have adopted some of the strategies from Manchester Medical school as they initiated Keele Med school! :biggrin:

Hope that helps

Thanks!

That's great, I'll phone tomorrow to confirm if I have a flag

Are you reapplying there?
Reply 2396
Can someone link me to where I can find out if my school is a poor performing school - Thanks
Reply 2397
Original post by MX123
Thanks!

That's great, I'll phone tomorrow to confirm if I have a flag

Are you reapplying there?

Thats good! Keele is an amazing med school. Still my favorite!

And I cant reapply as I was rejected post interview :frown: They have a policy regarding reapplicants
Reply 2398
Original post by AhmedDavid
Can someone link me to where I can find out if my school is a poor performing school - Thanks

http://www.education.gov.uk/schools/performance/
To keep you all motivated and as a bit of a shameless self-promotional plug, I've a freshers blog if anyone fancies a read :tongue:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2464272

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending