Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bumble333)
    I'm 17 and had my interveiw today, don't worry you can be a care assistant as long as you are over 16 Hope it goes well, it's seriously not as scary as I thought !
    What sort of things do they ask? Did you have to do a test of any sort? Good Luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doctor123)
    hey thanks! Its on the 1st of may
    But im not sure if they will discriminate me because of my age! lol I am still 17

hopefully it wont be difficult
    Hey I've had 2 test interview things so far:

1 of the tests I did was maybe Year 7 maths/numeracy at best
    and the other was ks2 Maths/numeracy at best so really nothing to worry about!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ameelia22)

I hope so! And did you receive a further rinterview??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kimsiclez)
    What sort of things do they ask? Did you have to do a test of any sort? Good Luck!
    Firstly I had to do 3 tests the first was a multiple choice questionnaire about situations and how you would respond. It was really easy though one of the questions was would you be happy to clean up vomit and of course you tick the box saying of course the next was a maths one when you had 5 minites to fill in as many fluid charts as possible and add up a total fluid balence which was like KS2 maths then I had to do a page writing about patient confidentiality and equality and diversity which was quite hard but luckily I had prepared for a question like that !

Then I had an interview with a panel including the ward matron, nurse and a HCA and they just asked question for about 20 mins. There was a few scenarios like what would you say to an old man embarrassed about wetting himself, how would you feel about doing last offices on a patient of yours , what would you do if an angry relative confronted you etc then there was a few general ones like : why do you want this job , why should we hire you , your strengths and weaknesses ( think about this one before apparently it's common ) , what makes a good team player etc They were all really nice and made me feel at ease and so just smile alot and enjoy it ! I got the job and on the phone the nurse said they don't normally like hiring people my age due to lack of experience but they were really impressed with my positive attitude and enthusiasm that they thought it would be good to bring some energy to the team so smiling really does make a difference

Sorry for the essay, hope it helps !! Good Luck

EDIT : I don't know why this got a neg I thought I was being helpful :/

ReputationRep:
    Did you get the job? I hope u did/do!
    I got the job !!! They rung me today was so happy I choked up a bit on the phone aha, the nurse sounded suprised to get such a positive reaction to being offered a HCA job .I think it was just so nice to get done positive news from an application after this ucas year, but hopefully this is a positive sign for ucas 2014 !!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    I got the job !!! They rung me today was so happy I choked up a bit on the phone aha, the nurse sounded suprised to get such a positive reaction to being offered a HCA job .I think it was just so nice to get done positive news from an application after this ucas year, but hopefully this is a positive sign for ucas 2014 !!
    you had a heck of a harder interview than I did last year! Mine was just a simple interview! But well done! Getting my results and then the HCA job was the start of good things for my UCAS this year. So hopefully it'll be the same with you! Looking forward to it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nandos94)
    you had a heck of a harder interview than I did last year! Mine was just a simple interview! But well done! Getting my results and then the HCA job was the start of good things for my UCAS this year. So hopefully it'll be the same with you! Looking forward to it?
    Wow I thought everyone had to do tests Thankyou so much I'm hoping good results follow and then fingers crossed for UCAS !! Yes I'm really excited about it ! I volunteer at the same hospital but on a different ward and loved it, I had some great conversations with patients and there relatives and I'm really looking forward to seeing patients everyday come August and hopefully feel the same satisfaction. All the staff are lovely too and luckily one of the HCA from my volunteer ward has been moved to general surgery the ward I'm starting on so I will have a friend to pester with loads of questions !! Where are you heading off to come September ? Are you enjoying being a HCA ?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    x
    I did tests, but they were much simpler. It depends on which Hospital I guess. That sounds good though, as much as experienced HCAs are helpful, I let my ward manager im applying for medicine, and got talking to the F1's, try and watch as many procedures as you can. I found that to be the most helpful! I've finished being a HCA now, I think it's the fact I had offers made it less appealing as I wanted to get on with the travelling of my gap year. So I only worked as a HCA for 5 months and did ALOT of things though. Just ask alot of questions, and keep at it and you'll enjoy it. I'm off to Edinburgh come september, can't wait!

ReputationRep:
    Welldone! How soon after the interview did you get it? And is the numerical test anything like the UKCAT lol?

ReputationRep:
    Can I also ask who you were competing with?
    Do they check you meet their qualifications requirements before they let you be interviewed??

ReputationRep:

The person spec says you need an NVQ in healthcare! I dont have that! But could "or equivalent" be A levels??
    What if they dont interview me because I dont have that?

ReputationRep:
    Reapplying. So when do you think is the best time to apply for HCA's. I'm planning on doing it after exams (mid-June). Would that leaving it too late?

ReputationRep:
    The person spec says you need an NVQ in healthcare! I dont have that! But could "or equivalent" be A levels??
    I made the mistake of thinking I was underqualified for almost all jobs, without an NVQ, but even with GCSE's you far exceed the requirements. Just illustrate that you've got loads of care experience from your volunteering etc as well.

(Original post by frogs r everywhere)
    Reapplying. So when do you think is the best time to apply for HCA's. I'm planning on doing it after exams (mid-June). Would that leaving it too late?
    Depends when you want to start. Things tend to take 6-8 weeks to really get sorted and find yourself on the job.

ReputationRep:
    Depends when you want to start. Things tend to take 6-8 weeks to really get sorted and find yourself on the job.
    Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    I made the mistake of thinking I was underqualified for almost all jobs, without an NVQ, but even with GCSE's you far exceed the requirements. Just illustrate that you've got loads of care experience from your volunteering etc as well.

Thanks

So when will you be starting if you get the job? Do they mind if we tell them we wont be able to work until mid-june?

ReputationRep:
    x
    PRSOM Although why anyone would neg you for that post is entirely beyond me! Thanks so much for the information though, that's super helpful!! And congrats on getting the job!!!! That's just fabulous! Although seeing as the interview went as well as it did I'm not surprised! Is it a full time or part time post?? When will you start?

I just got an interview invite for the 1st of May! So fingers crossed that will result in a similar response! Seeing this has given me hope

Sometimes is says 'Willingness to work towards this' as well so it shouldn't be too much of a problem unless they've specified they want that qualification. Is this for a job you've been invited to interview or one you've just sent off the application for? If it's interview then you should really be okay I would think else they haven't done a good job reading your application if they want you to have that qualification! :curious:

(Original post by frogs r everywhere)
    Hi there! I think most are applying around now. Paperwork can apparently take up to a few months and the starting date is usually a couple of months away anyway so it's likely that for applications sent now we may not start til July/August and I think it would be nice to write about any experience we get on our UCAS for next year. I think if it was left to June it may be a bit late to start before UCAS but I really don't know, sorry. I guess we're all just being presumptuous! I would rather start earlier than later though because I know if I don't keep myself busy for the first few months then I'll most likely just laze around for the rest of the year aha!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kimsiclez)
    PRSOM

Sometimes is says 'Willingness to work towards this' as well so it shouldn't be too much of a problem unless they've specified they want that qualification. Is this for a job you've been invited to interview or one you've just sent off the application for? If it's interview then you should really be okay I would think else they haven't done a good job reading your application if they want you to have that qualification! :curious:

Welldone on getting the interview!

And this is for an interview I have next month lol. I ticked the box that said NVQ in Health and Social Care or equivlent. I assumed the "equivlent" would be my A levels?? so i am not sure if they would allow them!

lol Best of luck with yours, when is it?

ReputationRep:
    Hey! Found something that might be useful for those with interviews!

http://www.rcn.org.uk/development/he...ions/?a=343165

ReputationRep:

And this is for an interview I have next month lol. I ticked the box that said NVQ in Health and Social Care or equivlent. I assumed the "equivlent" would be my A levels?? so i am not sure if they would allow them!

Oh okay! Could well be so see how it goes! Mine's on the 1st of May.

ReputationRep:

You got 1 months notice for your interview ?

I got a phone call today saying I got an interview for a hca post and that I should come in on Monday next week - I am not prepared at all and I have mock exams next week... I don't k ow what to do

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.