Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr.Ugs)
    Hey guys! Just posting for anyone interested in becoming a Medical Laboratory Assistant

It was my first day today and I am currently working for the operations department for clinical sciences. The job is NOTHING like it says on the JD and I hardly have to do any lab work . Today was a sort of induction so I had to read 10 files for different policies and procedures which took me ages I think it may be different if your an MLA in a different department but for my job I have to deal with a lot of stickers (sticking stickers on test tubes and patients' blood test requests and then scanning them using APEX and then simply transferring them to the table behind me lol)

Today was pretty boring as I couldnt do very much and was mostly shadowing other MLAs. I think the best part of the job is my security badge because I feel like 007 when swiping my card to open doors and stuff :cool:

All of my colleagues are graduates for biomedical sciences and work as MLAs so I feel rather unqualified and younger than the rest (some very old people in there lol) I also managed to call my manager "miss" and when she was giving me a tour I pushed 'pull' doors which was embarrassing

Anyone applying for this post, feel free to PM me. I'm happy to help you out with applying/interview
    Depends where you work. Being an MLA in my lab would be pure hell (thankfully I was a trainee healthcare scientist rather than MLA). Others it can be much more rewarding, and you get to do more basic testing. Especially haematology, which is where I assume you're working?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJK91)
    Depends where you work. Being an MLA in my lab would be pure hell (thankfully I was a trainee healthcare scientist rather than MLA). Others it can be much more rewarding, and you get to do more basic testing. Especially haematology, which is where I assume you're working?
    Nice so what do you currently do? Yep I'm working for heamatology and biochemistry

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    hey this has already probably been asked but do we put ukcat scores on ucas form?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flowerpower1410)
    hey this has already probably been asked but do we put ukcat scores on ucas form?
    You can, but it's not necessary - they will only act on the info they get from Pearson Vue via UCAS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flowerpower1410)
    Can do, don't have to.

Have you not sent yours off yet?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CasualSoul)
    No, unfortunately , I am not a legend at alllol

For the subjects you have completed to A2 you do not need to enter the AS. You only need to enter the AS if you have NOT taken it to A2.

One of the helpers here confirmed it:

"If you've not yet taken your A2s, you need to list your AS grades. If you have taken your A2s, your ASs don't exist as a separate qualification because you've used those modules as part of your overall A level, so you only need to list the one you didn't take to A2."

However, if you were referring to me posting the link and not the above then thanks lol
    haha after I thanked you I saw the post which you are referring to, and though "well, looks like even legends can be wrong" lol, but thanks anyway

ReputationRep:
    I have an interview for a Theatre Support Worker job on Thursday. There'll be a group interview/task and then a one-to-one interview. Can anybody please give me some advice? What are NHS interviews like for this kind of role? I really, really, really, really, really want this job. Also would you advise avoiding any mention of going to university?

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone else had response from any of their choices yet, because on my application it says my place at St. George's for Medicine has been confirmed. Which is strange because its quite early for a decision without an interview, and really weird because the date of the message is the 12th and my school didn't send my application with the reference attached till the 14th.

I hope it's not that UCAS just messed up, but i definitely don't want to think i've definitely got a place if it isn't the case.

Any opinions/thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AAA_)
    Has anyone else had response from any of their choices yet, because on my application it says my place at St. George's for Medicine has been confirmed. Which is strange because its quite early for a decision without an interview, and really weird because the date of the message is the 12th and my school didn't send my application with the reference attached till the 14th.

I hope it's not that UCAS just messed up, but i definitely don't want to think i've definitely got a place if it isn't the case.

Any opinions/thoughts?
    Wow, that's weird. What exactly did they state on your track? Sorry to be the bearer if bad news but there's probably a 99% chance they've made a mistake as its much too early for any medical school to make a decision!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AAA_)

Any opinions/thoughts?
    Probably a mistake, perhaps they meant your "application" is confirmed?

ReputationRep:
    Just got an unconditional offer from Newcastle for Biomedical Sciences. I'm officially going to uni next year!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SusieShire)
    Just got an unconditional offer from Newcastle for Biomedical Sciences. I'm officially going to uni next year!
    OMG, bet you died and came back to life when you saw something had changed on your UCAS e-mail!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ameelia22)
    OMG, bet you died and came back to life when you saw something had changed on your UCAS e-mail!
    Actually I haven't even received an email yet! I just randomly decided to check track, fully expecting nothing to have changed and my heart stopped when I saw "You have received decisions from 1 out of 5 choices." at the top of the page!

ReputationRep:
    Actually I haven't even received an email yet! I just randomly decided to check track, fully expecting nothing to have changed and my heart stopped when I saw "You have received decisions from 1 out of 5 choices." at the top of the page!
    Wow well done! When did you send your application? I want to know approximate how long do the biomed course take to make their decision.

ReputationRep:
    It's starting to feel so much more real now that the confirmations are coming through! Don't know whether it's more exciting or scary!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiMan)
    Wow well done! When did you send your application? I want to know approximate how long do the biomed course take to make their decision.
    My application was sent on the 8th.

ReputationRep:
    im a hopeful med applicant 2015!
    only if i get my 3as and my as chem to an A tho lol
    got average gcses (4.5a*,6a,2b)
    but got ABCC in bio, maths, history and chem at AS
    and predicted AAB for maths,bio and history at A2
    taking a gap yr (hopefully) doing a lot of work experience and getting a job, doing a ukcat/bmat and hopefully applying to:
    Imperial, QMUL, Kings, St Georges/Newcastle ...

ReputationRep:
    My application was sent on the 8th.
    Ohh okay! Thanks and all the best!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Congrats (but hopefully you won't need to accept it)

ReputationRep:
    I have an interview for a Theatre Support Worker job on Thursday. There'll be a group interview/task and then a one-to-one interview. Can anybody please give me some advice? What are NHS interviews like for this kind of role? I really, really, really, really, really want this job. Also would you advise avoiding any mention of going to university?

Long post here so I'll just spoiler it:

Spoiler:
    Show

I just started work as a TSW. Make sure you know about the basic job role (ie. helping trained staff/practitioners with equipment, getting theatres ready for surgery, collecting patients pre-op etc). The interview I had was only one-to-one (well, actually four-to-one but hopefully it won't be as horrific for you! ). I think in general as long as you have a good idea of what you're expected to do and are prepared to learn loads and show your enthusiasm then you should be fine.

I personally didn't mention anything about my future plans for medicine, just that I was 'considering a career in healthcare' and 'wanted this to for some baseline experience' or something like that. There are in fact a lot of chances to progress in this role, such as doing 2 years of Operating Department practitioner training which takes you straight from Band 2 to Band 5 so maybe mention that you realise there are opportunities for progress if you wanted to take them? (Makes you seem like you've read up about the post more than anything else but it's entirely up to you!). I don't think it would be too much of a hindrance for you to mention uni but then if it comes down to someone who would be there permanently and someone who would potentially be around for just a few months then they may go for the former just because there would be less hassle of going through the process of finding someone else in a shorter time period. Idk, again, it's up to you but that's just my opinion.

Also just make sure you have responses planned for things like 'Can you give an example of when you have shown x, y, z' because I found this quote difficult to formulate on the spot haha

Any other questions let me know! Hope it goes well for you tomorrow!

Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.