Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

(Original post by Dr.Ugs)
    Got an offer!!!! Yay! ...for biomed at newcastle (like suzie, I didn't receive an email either and was randomly checking my track and found it)

Anyone else heard back from their fifth choice?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Congrats!! Little confidence boost for you there And yes, I teach a class completely solo, they just chucked me in at the deep end, so it was really intimidating first day with 12 pairs of eyes staring at you and I was like : 'Good morning everyone, I'm Mr. Georgiou, I'm going to be teaching you about Covalent Bonds today, does anyone know what a covalent bond is?' :eek: I sometimes feel like wtf...I was in 6th form not so long ago and now I'm like the nasty chemistry teacher everyone *****es about at lunchtime Everyone in the staff room is like 50+ haha, on my first day they thought I was a student retaking GCSE for like the 5th time #awkward A pair of shoes a month isn't bad (what's the price tag though hehe?), do you think you're going to save for a car?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SusieShire)
    So I got offered a Theatre Support Worker job yesterday over the phone. (Yay!) I have an apprenticeship due to start at a care home that I'm going to turn down now but would like to have received written confirmation of my NHS job before I do that! Does anybody know how long it takes them to send you an email or contract in the post? Also how long from job offer to start date? I'm desperate to start and it sounds like they're really short staffed!
    Hey congrats! I was emailed on the day I got the phone call, but I think they wanted me to start as soon as possible so that sped things up a bit. Otherwise it would generally take about a week I think? Depends on whether they choose to email or post the paperwork. All the recruitment stuff is done online where I work so even the CRB was processed in 3 days. The only thing that delayed the employment offer to wait for was references as they asked for these in the summer holidays and one of my teachers had gone away But even then, they sent me a provisional offer and then a confirmed offer once all the paperwork had been sorted.

From job offer to start date it took me 4 weeks. I'm so excited for you! Do you know how many people they were recruiting? I started on my own, which isn't bad but it would have been nice to have another newbie haha!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PG593)
    Congrats!! Little confidence boost for you there And yes, I teach a class completely solo, they just chucked me in at the deep end, so it was really intimidating first day with 12 pairs of eyes staring at you and I was like : 'Good morning everyone, I'm Mr. Georgiou, I'm going to be teaching you about Covalent Bonds today, does anyone know what a covalent bond is?' :eek: I sometimes feel like wtf...I was in 6th form not so long ago and now I'm like the nasty chemistry teacher everyone *****es about at lunchtime Everyone in the staff room is like 50+ haha, on my first day they thought I was a student retaking GCSE for like the 5th time #awkward A pair of shoes a month isn't bad (what's the price tag though hehe?), do you think you're going to save for a car?
    Wow that's quite mean of them! But still, that's impressive: a teacher at your age. Now you know how your chemistry teacher felt. She would be so proud of you :') lol. Hah! Did you make any friends yet? And I'm in the same situation, the other MLAs are as old as or older than my father and I am the youngest in the department! They make weird old people jokes I don't understand so I just sit there and laugh respectfully :mmm: don't worry I'm sure we will get used to it (hopefully) at least it will help us become more mature

Well the price tag is £55 (or more if I fall in love with some shoes lol).
    I haven't done my theory yet! You reminded me lol. And you are right, a car is really important to have especially for uni. So I will probably consider that (unless I study at home in Manchester lol) what about you? What kind of car you hoping for?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kimsiclez)
    Hey congrats! I was emailed on the day I got the phone call, but I think they wanted me to start as soon as possible so that sped things up a bit. Otherwise it would generally take about a week I think? Depends on whether they choose to email or post the paperwork. All the recruitment stuff is done online where I work so even the CRB was processed in 3 days. The only thing that delayed the employment offer to wait for was references as they asked for these in the summer holidays and one of my teachers had gone away But even then, they sent me a provisional offer and then a confirmed offer once all the paperwork had been sorted.

From job offer to start date it took me 4 weeks. I'm so excited for you! Do you know how many people they were recruiting? I started on my own, which isn't bad but it would have been nice to have another newbie haha!
    congratulations to you!! What's your role? How are the staff? How are you finding the workload?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    And you are right, a car is really important to have especially for uni. So I will probably consider that (unless I study at home in Manchester lol) what about you? What kind of car you hoping for?
    For clinical years a car is maybe useful. Unis don't tend to provide parking for students unless you're disabled, and halls don't tend to offer a lot of parking space either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kimsiclez)

I think they were recruiting at least 10 people, they're about to start opening up the theatres at the weekends which they weren't doing before. I'm going to Canada at the end of this week for 10 days so hopefully they'll do most of the recruitment stuff online for me. Do you think I should ring up my apprenticeship organiser to turn it down now then? I was just reluctant to in case something went wrong and my other job was withdrawn. I've heard horror stories about NHS HR

ReputationRep:
    Wow that's great!!! Well done! What will you be doing?

Don't worry you have the job now it's the occupational health clearance and your references. Your start date is dependent on these two. Your employer will probably email you soon asking for some references and depending on how long it takes for them to reply your start date will be confirmed. For me, I started 4 weeks after my phone call offer.

Again, congratulations! Seems like a great opportunity!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I should turn down my apprenticeship offer then? I guess I still can't really believe I got the job! The youngest person at the interview after me was like 30! The job involves collecting patients and prepping them for surgery, weighing, measuring etc. Cleaning and prepping the theatre, counting needles and swabs, that kind of thing. I'm really excited

ReputationRep:
    . And you are right, a car is really important to have especially for uni. So I will probably consider that (unless I study at home in Manchester lol) what about you? What kind of car you hoping for?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I agree with Becca-Sarah in that a car isn't really needed. I've taken mine as I'm in an LDR and it makes things a bit easier, but my car insurance is cheap (just under £500 as I have 2 years no claims) and it's a small car so a full tank only costs me £45-odd.
    We have ample parking here and permits are free, but at other unis - particularly ones in cities - there may be restrictions on parking eg only disabled students can get one, only staff can park in the car parks near the med school etc.
    At my boyfriend's uni, parking is £5/night on weekdays or it's £300-odd for an annual weekday permit that can only be used in certain car parks!
    It's worth looking into that before you decide to invest in one!

ReputationRep:
    Just got an interview as a ward receptionist!!@@!!!

Has anyone else been interviewed for a similar post before?? How was it? I've never actually done anything like this before, this is my very first job interview! Any advice would be so greatly appreciated

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow that's quite mean of them! But still, that's impressive: a teacher at your age. Now you know how your chemistry teacher felt. She would be so proud of you :') lol. Hah! Did you make any friends yet? And I'm in the same situation, the other MLAs are as old as or older than my father and I am the youngest in the department! They make weird old people jokes I don't understand so I just sit there and laugh respectfully :mmm: don't worry I'm sure we will get used to it (hopefully) at least it will help us become more mature

Well the price tag is £55 (or more if I fall in love with some shoes lol).
    I haven't done my theory yet! You reminded me lol. And you are right, a car is really important to have especially for uni. So I will probably consider that (unless I study at home in Manchester lol) what about you? What kind of car you hoping for?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    She would probably cringe if she saw me Lmao, I do the exact same, time to practice all your best fake laughs Their humour is from another era but they're all sweethearts deep down. Phew...was expecting like £300 per pair. I'm taking my theory soon, mainly doing it because it is about time tbf, not sure on the car, dreading the insurance. I don't blame people now for going for a 2nd hand 1980s model I really wanted to get a Mazda RX - 8 but as a first car that is a bit 'silly' (quote from mum). How dare she insult it , it is forbidden, sort of makes me want it more now. What about you to go with your fancy heels?

ReputationRep:
    Received a call from Southampton saying someone had dropped out and offering me the place this year!
    Decided against it as catching up on the 4+ weeks of work would have been hell, but it's boosted my confidence!

On a different note- does anyone know when the Unis will get the UKCATs?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mcollin1)
    Received a call from Southampton saying someone had dropped out and offering me the place this year!
    Decided against it as catching up on the 4+ weeks of work would have been hell, but it's boosted my confidence!

4th november

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

wow. you are one hardcore guy rejecting medical school like that. Should've taken it and saved yourself a year..a little struggle at the start maybe but think of the long term, you got in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiMan)
    wow. you are one hardcore guy rejecting medical school like that. Should've taken it and saved yourself a year..a little struggle at the start maybe but think of the long term, you got in.
    i had to think about it for ages, but in the long run I don't think it would have worked out. no halls, last minute student finance, dropping 5 jobs and 2 voluntary placements with little notice, it just won't work out!

The way I see it, being shortlisted last year means my statement must have been better than I thought, and I feel I've improved it loads this year! So yeah I guess i feel more confident, but at the same time I'm worrying I've made the wrong choice, and if i don't get in again this year I'll be so pissed at myself! But it's a risk I'm hoping will pay off in the long run....

ReputationRep:
    i had to think about it for ages, but in the long run I don't think it would have worked out. no halls, last minute student finance, dropping 5 jobs and 2 voluntary placements with little notice, it just won't work out!

The way I see it, being shortlisted last year means my statement must have been better than I thought, and I feel I've improved it loads this year! So yeah I guess i feel more confident, but at the same time I'm worrying I've made the wrong choice, and if i don't get in again this year I'll be so pissed at myself! But it's a risk I'm hoping will pay off in the long run....
    I would have dropped everything and ran to bloody Southampton bare foot :\

Wow you really are strong to do that!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TattyBoJangles)
    I agree with Becca-Sarah in that a car isn't really needed. I've taken mine as I'm in an LDR and it makes things a bit easier, but my car insurance is cheap (just under £500 as I have 2 years no claims) and it's a small car so a full tank only costs me £45-odd.
    We have ample parking here and permits are free, but at other unis - particularly ones in cities - there may be restrictions on parking eg only disabled students can get one, only staff can park in the car parks near the med school etc.
    At my boyfriend's uni, parking is £5/night on weekdays or it's £300-odd for an annual weekday permit that can only be used in certain car parks!
    It's worth looking into that before you decide to invest in one!
    You are right! But if I end up going to hull York I will be commuting so really it's all dependent on which uni I go to

Thanks for that! I didn't think of those issues. Perhaps it's a good idea to get the tests over and done with and once a car is actually needed I get one

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PG593)
    She would probably cringe if she saw me Lmao, I do the exact same, time to practice all your best fake laughs Their humour is from another era but they're all sweethearts deep down. Phew...was expecting like £300 per pair. I'm taking my theory soon, mainly doing it because it is about time tbf, not sure on the car, dreading the insurance. I don't blame people now for going for a 2nd hand 1980s model I really wanted to get a Mazda RX - 8 but as a first car that is a bit 'silly' (quote from mum). How dare she insult it , it is forbidden, sort of makes me want it more now. What about you to go with your fancy heels?
    Lol you didn't like her? My chem teacher absolutely hated me. I don't bring my folder and she makes me stand outside for half the lesson :\ she also predicted me a C and predicted others (who in the end achieved anything under a C)above C's- we had a mutual hate relationship lol but I won and topped my class in Chem )

The amount of fake laughs I have to do in a day... They talk about random people from cave times and I'm like......:\ and I have to put up with classical fm lol. Hopefully we will get use to it!

I see, nice choice! But I geuss you gotta start from the bottom with a banger . I want, preferably, a Lamborghini... (In my dreams) But will probably be getting a Honda Yaris lol not a bad car!!!

You considering commuting for any of your unis? I'm probably gonna do that for HYMS if I get in lol. It's an hours drive to York and 1.5 hours to hull from Manchester so I will either be driving or train-ing lol. I really hope I don't have to move away now! I love Manchester [/]cry[/s](and the bank of father and the purse of mother [/]mmm[/s]

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ok...it seems no one has done interviews as a ward receptionist before. Has anyone had any interviews as anything in the NHS? I really need some advice

I've tried researching it on google but its only vague advice tbh. Do I mention that my main aim is medicine? Or just to be involved in healthcare? How long might the interview be??

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Well what's important is that you made a well informed decision. And you do have a lot of points. But yh, only so you application should nevertheless be better than before so if anything your chances may somewhat be higher.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuziieB)
    Ok...it seems no one has done interviews as a ward receptionist before. Has anyone had any interviews as anything in the NHS? I really need some advice

I've tried researching it on google but its only vague advice tbh. Do I mention that my main aim is medicine? Or just to be involved in healthcare? How long might the interview be??

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I have had five NHS interviews, 2*HCA, decontamination assistant, phlebotomist and MLA and I can assure you that the questions are straight forward. ALL will ask what you know about the job and so you need to fully understand the job description. I would also not recommend you mention medicine because they don't wanna go through the expensive recruitment process a year later again lol. They also ask you "tell me a little about yourself". For skills, make sure you keep referring to your a levels and how they required a great deal of IT and accuracy emphasise "patient safety" that seems to impress them

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.