Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr.Ugs)
    I have had five NHS interviews, 2*HCA, decontamination assistant, phlebotomist and MLA and I can assure you that the questions are straight forward. ALL will ask what you know about the job and so you need to fully understand the job description. I would also not recommend you mention medicine because they don't wanna go through the expensive recruitment process a year later again lol. They also ask you "tell me a little about yourself". For skills, make sure you keep referring to your a levels and how they required a great deal of IT and accuracy emphasise "patient safety" that seems to impress them

Posted from TSR Mobile
    How in the world...?

Well done! How did you get so many interviews? If only medicine was that easy, eh? How many of them were successful if you don't mind me asking? Wouldn't you need experience to be a phlebotomist?

Thanks, its for a ward receptionist so a great deal of admin is involved and also greeting patients so its right up my street really. I'll just really need to work on my confidence and read all around the job description. I'm really happy because its in a teaching hospital so I'll be able to see some of my friends who got offers last year again!!

Would I need to know about any current affairs regarding the NHS or anything? They mentioned it on their website :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuziieB)
    Ok...it seems no one has done interviews as a ward receptionist before. Has anyone had any interviews as anything in the NHS? I really need some advice

I've tried researching it on google but its only vague advice tbh. Do I mention that my main aim is medicine? Or just to be involved in healthcare? How long might the interview be??

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Make sure yo also sell your communication skills, understanding that you will be literally front line to patients, relatives, bank staff and allied health professionals who are not familiar with the ward/dept.

You will most likely be responsible for answering the phones, locating and requesting patient's notes as well as managing online clerking, allocating bed spaces online (at request of managers) and discharging people online. My Trust uses an online method, but it may be different for you,

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You are right! But if I end up going to hull York I will be commuting so really it's all dependent on which uni I go to

Thanks for that! I didn't think of those issues. Perhaps it's a good idea to get the tests over and done with and once a car is actually needed I get one

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ah, right - then it would be sensible if you're commuting! I'd imagine they would have some provision in place for those who need a car to get there!

By the way it's a Toyota Yaris (; brilliant little cars. And I'm not just saying that because I have one..

ReputationRep:
    How in the world...?

Well done! How did you get so many interviews? If only medicine was that easy, eh? How many of them were successful if you don't mind me asking? Wouldn't you need experience to be a phlebotomist?

Thanks, its for a ward receptionist so a great deal of admin is involved and also greeting patients so its right up my street really. I'll just really need to work on my confidence and read all around the job description. I'm really happy because its in a teaching hospital so I'll be able to see some of my friends who got offers last year again!!

Would I need to know about any current affairs regarding the NHS or anything? They mentioned it on their website :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Don't worry you don't need to know about current affairs trust me it's really basic. And I applied for the jobs all in one go so I ended up getting these near the same time. I only actually secured the MLA job because the others wanted more experience my additional information matched the person spec so I would assume they check listed it and I ticked their boxes! And I made the mistake of telling them I wanna do medicine for phlebotomy interview and they said this job isn't something you would suit lol so defo don't mention that!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craigh)
    Make sure yo also sell your communication skills, understanding that you will be literally front line to patients, relatives, bank staff and allied health professionals who are not familiar with the ward/dept.

You will most likely be responsible for answering the phones, locating and requesting patient's notes as well as managing online clerking, allocating bed spaces online (at request of managers) and discharging people online. My Trust uses an online method, but it may be different for you,

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry you don't need to know about current affairs trust me it's really basic. And I applied for the jobs all in one go so I ended up getting these near the same time. I only actually secured the MLA job because the others wanted more experience my additional information matched the person spec so I would assume they check listed it and I ticked their boxes! And I made the mistake of telling them I wanna do medicine for phlebotomy interview and they said this job isn't something you would suit lol so defo don't mention that!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh wow, I used the same info for my additional information but only heard back from this one. At least its something, I really, really would like this job. It's literally perfect because its part time and I still have the opportunity to volunteer at my local nursery which I love doing!

Thanks for the info anyway and well done on getting the MLA job.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Oh wow, I used the same info for my additional information but only heard back from this one. At least its something, I really, really would like this job. It's literally perfect because its part time and I still have the opportunity to volunteer at my local nursery which I love doing!

Thanks for the info anyway and well done on getting the MLA job.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's great! Let us know how the interview goes best of luck!!!!! And thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I have had five NHS interviews, 2*HCA, decontamination assistant, phlebotomist and MLA and I can assure you that the questions are straight forward. ALL will ask what you know about the job and so you need to fully understand the job description. I would also not recommend you mention medicine because they don't wanna go through the expensive recruitment process a year later again lol. They also ask you "tell me a little about yourself". For skills, make sure you keep referring to your a levels and how they required a great deal of IT and accuracy emphasise "patient safety" that seems to impress them

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Wow I admire your determination! 5 NHS interviews, you must have been tired of them by the 5th! That alone shows a great commitment to medicine, I would say!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SusieShire)
    Wow I admire your determination! 5 NHS interviews, you must have been tired of them by the 5th! That alone shows a great commitment to medicine, I would say!
    Thanks! I want this more than anything (yes that may sound cheesy but it's true ) hopefully our hard work will pay off!!!
    I gave up hope by the 4th because their rejection reasons were the same and for the MLA job I got into a different department lol and when describing my "assumed" roles at interview they were looking at me like "wtf?" Turns out I read the wrong job description! I think they gave me the job because of my A level grades coz they said they were "very impressed" lol so make sure you flex those As!!

For medicine you only get 4 shots (IF your lucky) so hopefully I won't have to go for my fifth!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! I want this more than anything (yes that may sound cheesy but it's true ) hopefully our hard work will pay off!!!
    I gave up hope by the 4th because their rejection reasons were the same and for the MLA job I got into a different department lol and when describing my "assumed" roles at interview they were looking at me like "wtf?" Turns out I read the wrong job description! I think they gave me the job because of my A level grades coz they said they were "very impressed" lol so make sure you flex those As!!

For medicine you only get 4 shots (IF your lucky) so hopefully I won't have to go for my fifth!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You've got a Newcastle Biomed offer too right? I've been looking at the course and their transfer options and even as a 5th choice I think it would be an amazing opportunity. Of course we're hoping to get onto a medicine course, but Newcastle is looking like pretty attractive backup!

ReputationRep:
    You've got a Newcastle Biomed offer too right? I've been looking at the course and their transfer options and even as a 5th choice I think it would be an amazing opportunity. Of course we're hoping to get onto a medicine course, but Newcastle is looking like pretty attractive backup!
    Yeah that's why I chose to apply I don't think I will be taking another gap year if I don't get in so I will defo be going newcastle if I don't get a place. Have you not put a fifth one yet? It won't do harm to

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that's why I chose to apply I don't think I will be taking another gap year if I don't get in so I will defo be going newcastle if I don't get a place. Have you not put a fifth one yet? It won't do harm to

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I've already got an offer from Newcastle

ReputationRep:
    Ok...it seems no one has done interviews as a ward receptionist before. Has anyone had any interviews as anything in the NHS? I really need some advice

I've tried researching it on google but its only vague advice tbh. Do I mention that my main aim is medicine? Or just to be involved in healthcare? How long might the interview be??

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I've had interview for a Theatre Porter, a HCA and I have another one tomorrow for a Pharmacy Porter. In the two I've had I was honest, saying I have applied for medicine but that it is very competitive so I could be working for a couple of years. The TP one was a fixed term contract and when I rang for feedback they said the reason I didn't get it was that there were other candidates who had already done portering, but they were really nice and encouraging. Interview was literally 10 minutes.

And the HCA was permanent and an assessment centre (6hrs long!!) so it wasn't appropriate to say I was applying for medicine until the one-to-one at the end when they said I was successful and asked which ward I wanted to work on. At that point they obviously couldn't retract the offer and actually went out of their way to put me on a ward they thought would be interesting for me, said I would make a better doctor after having worked as a HCA, and made a joke about me getting so high in the literacy and numeracy tests (I'll be an apprentice band 3) being reassuring to them about future doctors!!!

It's tricky to decide whether to mention medicine or not… in both my interview I was actually asked directly "what next after this job? Is this what you want to do for the rest of your life?" and I am rubbish at lying! A consultant friend said I should be completely honest as they would guess by my grades and will be annoyed later. But my advice, if asked directly, would be to say medicine is your ultimate goal but it could take a couple of years and in the mean time you are eager to start working in healthcare asap. Good luck!!

ReputationRep:
    I've already got an offer from Newcastle
    Oh sorry! I thought you were the other Susie

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Oh sorry! I thought you were the other Susie

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Haha, don't worry, easy mistake to make! I think she's Suzie with a Z and I'm Susie with an S

ReputationRep:
    See if your not asked about 'reapplying' in interviews if your lucky enough to get one, should you mention that not getting in first time has made your more determined to get in this year etc? Or is it better to not mention in at all?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chi-)
    See if your not asked about 'reapplying' in interviews if your lucky enough to get one, should you mention that not getting in first time has made your more determined to get in this year etc? Or is it better to not mention in at all?
    Basis of my personal statement so If not I'm stuffed....

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    made it back from Canada! time to start worrying about UCAS and life in general

ReputationRep:
    So I got offered a Theatre Support Worker job yesterday over the phone. (Yay!) I have an apprenticeship due to start at a care home that I'm going to turn down now but would like to have received written confirmation of my NHS job before I do that! Does anybody know how long it takes them to send you an email or contract in the post? Also how long from job offer to start date? I'm desperate to start and it sounds like they're really short staffed!
    If they haven't sent it yet, you could ask about visiting their offices and signing the paperwork

(Original post by raveen789)
    made it back from Canada! time to start worrying about UCAS and life in general
    Welcome back to the waiting game

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.