Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Priya_Biju)
    Congrats! They responded very early!
    Yeah they did Did you apply for biomed as your fifth choice too? which uni?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itsmagic)
    Errrrm it's not a lovely job - definitely not something you'd want to be doing for the rest of your life anyway, but I think it's a really good way of maturing and getting valuable experience! I've worked there just over two months and I've learned SO much.
    At our nursing home, a HCA's job includes just about everything I'm afraid (sans cooking and most of cleaning). So we get residents washed, dressed, assist them with going to the toilet or changing incontinence pads, assist with shaves, make their beds (change sheets if necessary), give baths and showers, help serve meals, assist with feeds, entertain residents, make loads of drinks for residents, sometimes take observations (e.g. after a fall), do lots of paperwork etc etc etc
    The work is endless haha!
    I worked as an ITU HCA for 9 months and did none of that :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joannywhite)
    Yeah they did Did you apply for biomed as your fifth choice too? which uni?
    I applied to biomed only last year as i only got predicted AAB. This year after achieving AAA i finally got to apply to med ! yay.
    Fifth choice is MPharm at UCL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FlavaFavourFruit)
    I worked as an ITU HCA for 9 months and did none of that :lol:
    What do you do at a ICU hca?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Richyp22)
    What do you do at a ICU hca?
    Roll patients, stock drugs, order mattresses and medical equipment, watch cool doctors procedures :teeth:

That's it it doesn't look much but it was 12 hour shifts and 80% of the time I would be busy doing something but sometimes got a bit bored!

It would have been nice to do obs etc but ICU is special and the nurses are specially trained for it because there's ventilators and all sorts of machines.

ReputationRep:
    Congrats! They responded very early!
    Thanks... yeah, I've noticed it takes about 2/3 weeks before the reply. Good luck with your applications!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuziieB)
    Ooh really? What's the percentage of people who are allowed to transfer?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah, around 15 currently, but my friend who's there said they're changing it so in the future it'll be 50+ as the scheme has been working well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiMan)
    Got a Biomedical offer from Sheffield.!! WOHOOO!!
    Hey, congratulations on getting an offer!!
    Do you mind saying when you sent your application off? I put Sheffiled down as my fifth choice and I didn't know they started giving out offers so early, I think another person on this thread also has an offer from Sheffield

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadamePuddifoot)
    I put down Midwifery as my fifth choice - still a career in healthcare but otherwise very different

Nice. I put accounting & finance down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itsmagic)
    Errrrm it's not a lovely job - definitely not something you'd want to be doing for the rest of your life anyway, but I think it's a really good way of maturing and getting valuable experience! I've worked there just over two months and I've learned SO much.
    At our nursing home, a HCA's job includes just about everything I'm afraid (sans cooking and most of cleaning). So we get residents washed, dressed, assist them with going to the toilet or changing incontinence pads, assist with shaves, make their beds (change sheets if necessary), give baths and showers, help serve meals, assist with feeds, entertain residents, make loads of drinks for residents, sometimes take observations (e.g. after a fall), do lots of paperwork etc etc etc
    The work is endless haha!
    It's pretty much the same. But it can be on a lower scale for me depending on which ward I work on! Haven't you just fallen in love with some of the patients/residents? I actually love my job and it's quite enjoyable! Do you have to do 12.5 hour shifts too?

ReputationRep:
    I found this about the NHS if anyone wants to read

http://www.nhshistory.net/a_guide_to_the_nhs.htm

ReputationRep:
    I applied to biomed only last year as i only got predicted AAB. This year after achieving AAA i finally got to apply to med ! yay.
    Fifth choice is MPharm at UCL
    same, MPharm at UCL is my fifth choice too. but hopefully we will get into medicine.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a HCA on a surgical ward but the past 2 weeks I got upgraded to ICU as they really needed a HCA and I love it ! Only 4 patients to look after and as there all on machines the obs are so much easier - Also get to spend much more time 1to 1 with the patients so really got to know them Feel like I have learnt more in these past 2 weeks than in the full 2 months as a HCA. Learnt how to do GM's, aspirate NG tubes, get catheter/cannula/venepuncture trays ready for the doctors ( in return they let me watch ) , do ECGs and Bladder scans , take out cannulas and catheters and carry out stoma care ! Soo much more than just how to care for a patients personal needs on the normal ward ! Really got on with all the nurses on the ward too they seemed really keen to teach me stuff and not just treat me like a ward slave Also another positive of ITU is there's always doctors about so lots of opportunities to learn and see cool medical stuff so basically if any of you guys get a choice on which ward go for ITU or a high dependency ward, wish I could move permanently Back to normal ward tomrow for the usual 14 patient commode runs !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bumble333)
    I'm a HCA on a surgical ward but the past 2 weeks I got upgraded to ICU as they really needed a HCA and I love it ! Only 4 patients to look after and as there all on machines the obs are so much easier - Also get to spend much more time 1to 1 with the patients so really got to know them Feel like I have learnt more in these past 2 weeks than in the full 2 months as a HCA. Learnt how to do GM's, aspirate NG tubes, get catheter/cannula/venepuncture trays ready for the doctors ( in return they let me watch ) , do ECGs and Bladder scans , take out cannulas and catheters and carry out stoma care ! Soo much more than just how to care for a patients personal needs on the normal ward ! Really got on with all the nurses on the ward too they seemed really keen to teach me stuff and not just treat me like a ward slave Also another positive of ITU is there's always doctors about so lots of opportunities to learn and see cool medical stuff so basically if any of you guys get a choice on which ward go for ITU or a high dependency ward, wish I could move permanently Back to normal ward tomrow for the usual 14 patient commode runs !
    That's sounds great! Fantastic experience

My MLA job is starting to seem insufficient lol. I'm still gonna look for a HCA job on the side

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ashly6)
    same, MPharm at UCL is my fifth choice too. but hopefully we will get into medicine.
    Have you guys submitted a suplementary personal statement?

ReputationRep:
    Guys I have only received confirmation emails from one of my universities, three of my universities (Manchester, Liverpool and keele) have not sent me confirmation emails. Is this something to worry about? Have other people not received confirmation emails?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aa05)
    Hey, congratulations on getting an offer!!
    Do you mind saying when you sent your application off? I put Sheffiled down as my fifth choice and I didn't know they started giving out offers so early, I think another person on this thread also has an offer from Sheffield
    Hi and thank you. I sent mine off on the 12th this month. And yeah before me I know people who had the same offer early and it turns out on average takes about 2/3 weeks based on when people are sending and receiving offers!
    But nothing on track atm, I had a post sent to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrAli786)
    Have you guys submitted a suplementary personal statement?
    No, but if they ask for it (hopefully not), I will have to write another one :O waa!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ashly6)
    Where else have u applied?

ReputationRep:
    It's pretty much the same. But it can be on a lower scale for me depending on which ward I work on! Haven't you just fallen in love with some of the patients/residents? I actually love my job and it's quite enjoyable! Do you have to do 12.5 hour shifts too?
    Oh right! I'm the same place every day obviously haha just different residents sometimes!
    Yeah sometimes I work mainly in a dementia unit so most of the residents forget who we are multiple times every day and it's kinda sad! I've developed friendships with some residents in the residential unit though
    My shifts are 12 hours (8am-8pm)! Never heard of 12.5 hour shifts before?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.