Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

(Original post by App14)
    Hi,
    just joining tsr as a re sit applicant for medicine. I just missed out on my place (AAB) and am only 2 marks off the A in chemistry. I have applied to lancastar though and was reading they want you to change your ps a lot. I haven't, just changed/added in as spending gap year as pharmacy dispensing assistant and that I am re sitting. I have also applied to Liverpool for medicine after being rejected last year after interview. My other options are for pharmacy.
    Just wondering if anyone had any feedback/ thoughts on the strength of my application for this year for medicine. Not feeling very positive. Also after rejection after interview last year was wondering how to improve on interview technique etc.
    thank you.
    Well Lancaster as far as I'm aware are concerned on your GCSEs and PS, as long as you are predicted that A in your Chemistry you should stand a chance as any other to those medical schools, just try and remember what the interview was like last year, if you got any feedback after, get as many people to interview you so you feel more secure. Perhaps enrol on an interview course to get a good blend of question experience. Best of luck

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys I was just wondering,

With 1A* 5As 5Bs & 2Cs at GCSE

Aswell as having a distinction in BTEC Spanish, ICT, & Art

UKCAT Score 700

Having achieved AAAAAB at AS-Level, predited A*AA in Chem, Maths, Bio, Physics, Gen Studies, FMaths

Previously achieving CCADE at first sitting Chem, Maths, Gen Studies, FMaths, Physics

Do you think I will stand a chance at any of the resit applicant Med schools as I have applied to some already but I am now worried that with my poor GCSE grades it might be difficult to get into any

Also which resit applicant med school would you say is a no go area with my profile

Thanks in advance

(Original post by AhmedDavid)
    Hey guys I was just wondering,

With 1A* 5As 5Bs & 2Cs at GCSE

Aswell as having a distinction in BTEC Spanish, ICT, & Art

UKCAT Score 700

Having achieved AAAAAB at AS-Level, predited A*AA in Chem, Maths, Bio, Physics, Gen Studies, FMaths

Previously achieving CCCDE at first sitting Chem, Maths, Gen Studies, FMaths, Physics

Do you think I will stand a chance at any of the resit applicant Med schools as I have applied to some already but I am now worried that with my poor GCSE grades it might be difficult to get into any

Also which resit applicant med school would you say is a no go area with my profile

Thanks in advance
    I'm confused...I thought you were applying next year (I remember you posting if you should sit the UKCAT or not despite your poor AS grades). If you have already applied for 2014 entry, which medical schools have you applied to? There are only a few who consider resit applicants unless you have extenuating circumstances. Out of the ones off the top of my head places like Lancaster and Liverpool do allow re-sitters but place emphasis on GCSEs/PS even though you have good predicted A level grades. It's obviously too late now to make changes to your profile but if you're talking about next year's cycle then go with places like Exeter who use UKCAT/A levels more so but check each policy diligently, many do change year on year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PG593)
    I'm confused...I thought you were applying next year (I remember you posting if you should sit the UKCAT or not despite your poor AS grades). If you have already applied for 2014 entry, which medical schools have you applied to? There are only a few who consider resit applicants unless you have extenuating circumstances. Out of the ones off the top of my head places like Lancaster and Liverpool do allow re-sitters but place emphasis on GCSEs/PS even though you have good predicted A level grades. It's obviously too late now to make changes to your profile but if you're talking about next year's cycle then go with places like Exeter who use UKCAT/A levels more so but check each policy diligently, many do change year on year.
    You're right to be confused, this poster has asked the same question so many times on TSR I think he will just keep going until he gets an answer he likes. Plus I think the UKCAT and AS grades are projected next year not achieved.

ReputationRep:
    Please don't waste your time replying to this - here is what Ahmed David posted back in September:

Hello Guys,

I just wanted to ask you lot for some advice as I am about to start college very soon and need to make a decision. I have never worked hard for exams in my life but this time I seem to have been caught out. I recently recieved my AS - level results and scored in my opinion very shocking results. At GCSE I went to a pretty rubbish school and never paid attention myself. (I wasnt exactly an exemplary people) however with not much effort I always managed to do pretty well. I achieved

1A* 5As 5Bs 2Cs 2 Distinctions & 1 Merit

I am honestly saying I didnt revise much for my GCSE exams except from the odd revision which I at the time thought was extensive for maths (I did about 1 hour 2 days to the exam each day).

Coming into A-Level I was willing to do better & I listened in class however in the jan exams came out with the folllowing:

Chem - B
    Maths - C
    Physics - U
    FMaths - E
    General Studies - U

Yet again only revised for most of these a week to the exam and some of them a day before. I didnt meet my teacher when I didnt understand certain things

Dissapointed in June I worked hard although with less than 2 months to learn Unit 2s which had never seen before & to resit all of jan exams. I attained

Chem - C
    Maths - C
    Physics - E
    FMaths - D (150)
    Gen studies - A

I have hopes to do medicine as I made my decision on entry to college to do medicine from petroleum engineering or medicine. I know that if I start revising and working hard now and carry on to A2 resiting some AS exams I could improve however the possibilities of failing are daunting.

I'm not sure whether to resit the year with this new found mentality of doing well or to carry on to next year and try and attain the best I can aswell as applying to some get into med courses which allow BBC etc If I carry on to A2 I plan on dropping physics and fmaths taking on AS & A2 Biology.

I was trying not to make this long as I really do need your help and would appreciate all replies and advice on what to do if they were in those situations themselves

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    ^ :rofl:

(Original post by HCubed)
    You're right to be confused, this poster has asked the same question so many times on TSR I think he will just keep going until he gets an answer he likes. Plus I think the UKCAT and AS grades are projected next year not achieved.
    Thanks, I thought something was a bit fishy :fisheye:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PG593)

OK thanks and yeah I am the one that got bad AS grades but took the UKCAT, ended up getting 720Avg, however I was saying this for next year but phrased it as it was for this year not to confuse people and said I've applied to avoid the question "You do know the deadline is past".

Ive spoken to my head of year and I recently sat a mock test for all the unit1s in this subjects and scored pretty high 90s in all of them and I was basically wondering which of the resit medical schools will be best to apply to if achieve those grades at AS and were predicted those grades for A2 with a ukcat score of 700...

I wanted to know before hand to see whether it will be advisable to resit some of my GCSEs or whether it will be just enough to get me some interviews next year.

Thank you very much for your reply though but I hope I've cleared up the situation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HCubed)
    I'm not trying to get an answer I like, what I posted back in September was due to the fact that I wasn't sure whether I should resit the year with those grades or carry it on to A2 and pick up AS & A2 Biology aswell. I was advised to resit the year which I did. However having recently been looking at the requirements of the medical schools that allow resits I was slightly worried that my GCSE grade would affect my application. & to cut out any dumb questions from people I phrased the sentence as I had already applied putting myself in the scenario for next year to see what would have been deemed plausible.

It is two completely different situations so I do not admire your comment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AhmedDavid)
    x
    Hey bro, if you want proper advice instead of opinions (as some may call them) you should check out the websites and email the unis. Don't fight on here, remember we are peaceful people lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr.Ugs)
    Hey bro, if you want proper advice instead of opinions (as some may call them) you should check out the websites and email the unis. Don't fight on here, remember we are peaceful people lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
    True say I will do, I think thats best

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone else on a second gap year?
    No idea how I will get back into revision mode if I do get into uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ashamoh)
    I'm on a second gap year too! First gap year worked as a HCA, second gap year, working as a grocery online shopper at sainsburys.

I miss revision
    UKCAT doesn't count

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FlavaFavourFruit)
    I'm on a second gap year too! First gap year worked as a HCA, second gap year, working as a grocery online shopper at sainsburys.

I miss revision
    UKCAT doesn't count
    On my first gap year I did nothing until about November when I finally started as a HCA which i'm still working as fun fun fun!

I kinda liked revising your ass off for exams then finding out you passed etc etc

ReputationRep:
    On my first gap year I did nothing until about November when I finally started as a HCA which i'm still working as fun fun fun!

I kinda liked revising your ass off for exams then finding out you passed etc etc
    Good you're enjoying hca, I can still work bank shifts if I want but tbh I hate the job :/ but the money is good but it just didn't motivate me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FlavaFavourFruit)
    Good you're enjoying hca, I can still work bank shifts if I want but tbh I hate the job :/ but the money is good but it just didn't motivate me
    50% of the time I hate it. Some of the HCA/nurses are so rude/b*tchy etc etc.
    But I love being in surgery and this one doctor let's me scrub in and assist sometimes which is just

ReputationRep:
    50% of the time I hate it. Some of the HCA/nurses are so rude/b*tchy etc etc.
    But I love being in surgery and this one doctor let's me scrub in and assist sometimes which is just
    I had a few nurses who thought they were too good/experienced to do the gritty work :rolleyes: but the HCAs were lovely and made a good team!

I'm not a fan of surgery but that must have been awesome! :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    I'm on second gap year glad I'm not alone last year I didn't do much which I regret but trying my best to be active this year but that's proving harder than I thought

ReputationRep:
    W00t, absolutely failed mock interview. Guess it's time for me to sharpen up!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    UKCAT is now at our Uni's. D Day has arrived.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.