The Student Room Group

2014 Medicine Re-Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PG593
So glad I didn't apply there, seems like madness :eek:

Ikr! I didn't put my AS grades and my UKCAT would probably be in 5th decile :lol:
Original post by babychocolate
I just found out that I'm working Christmas day, boxing day, new year's eve and new years day. One of the perks of being an hca :hmmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thats disgustingly unfair, I don't care if your new or not. At my hospital most people have to work atleast one of those days, but to work all four your ward manager is ****ing on you just because your new.
Reply 3182
Original post by Richyp22
Thats disgustingly unfair, I don't care if your new or not. At my hospital most people have to work atleast one of those days, but to work all four your ward manager is ****ing on you just because your new.

Seconded. Fight your corner. New NA speaking (as of August), people tried to take advantage of me earlier in the year, then I started doing people favours and swapping shifts (and bing a good NA lol) and it all stopped. I have Christmas add New Year's Day off. Oh and for the record, its standard rate + either a third or two thirds (one or the other) for public holidays.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I agree with those saying you should try to negotiate at least one of those days off.

When I was working as an HCA last year, I was initially put down for Christmas day, boxing day, New Year's Eve and New Year's Day. It was mentioned that we were expected to work at least three of those days, but I argued that working 4 including Christmas day was unfair.
In the end, I negotiated it so that I would still work on Christmas Day and Boxing Day, but I got both New Year's Eve and New Year's Day off.

I got paid double time for Christmas Day and 'time and a half' for Boxing Day.
Original post by babychocolate
I just found out that I'm working Christmas day, boxing day, new year's eve and new years day. One of the perks of being an hca :hmmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's awful, at our nursing home, we're not really expected to work more than two of those (and no-one really works both Christmas and New Years Day - on my floor, at least)! Ask to negotiate?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3185
Reading all these posts about HCA work over Christmas in the NHS makes me so glad I'm a HCA in a private hospital! I suppose though when we're doctors (I'm not saying 'if', must be optimistic!!) we'll be working christmas day
Original post by jemimii
Reading all these posts about HCA work over Christmas in the NHS makes me so glad I'm a HCA in a private hospital! I suppose though when we're doctors (I'm not saying 'if', must be optimistic!!) we'll be working christmas day

Ha! Yeah this is true but I've got plans to get around this:colone:
Reply 3187
Original post by FlavaFavourFruit
Ha! Yeah this is true but I've got plans to get around this:colone:

Please share with us! haha :smile:
Original post by jemimii
Please share with us! haha :smile:

1) pull a sickie 2 days before Xmas
2) book holiday in advance!!! (I'm talking months)
3) bribery
4) depending on the weather, it's snowing real bad and roads are unsafe and public transport not working..bull.

:biggrin:
Original post by Richyp22
x

Original post by TattyBoJangles
x

I have no clue what my work policy is but I may have to speak to my manager about it because I thought that it was unfair but I wasn't sure if this was the norm. Luckly my new manager starts next week and hopefully he takss pity on me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3190
1) pull a sickie 2 days before Xmas
2) book holiday in advance!!! (I'm talking months)
3) bribery
4) depending on the weather, it's snowing real bad and roads are unsafe and public transport not working..bull.

:biggrin:

Very clever! Best not to mention that in interviews though :wink:
Original post by jemimii
Very clever! Best not to mention that in interviews though :wink:

I've learnt my lesson from last time, don't mention it! :unimpressed:
Reply 3192
:K:
I've learnt my lesson from last time, don't mention it! :unimpressed:

Hahaha! As ingenious a plan as it is, I can't imagine they were best pleased?? :K:
Original post by jemimii
:K:

Hahaha! As ingenious a plan as it is, I can't imagine they were best pleased?? :K:

Hahahaha I was only kidding, I wouldn't dream of saying that in an interview :rofl:
Reply 3194
Hahahaha I was only kidding, I wouldn't dream of saying that in an interview :rofl:

I did guess! Haha if you did, you'd be my hero :banana2:
Original post by jemimii
I did guess! Haha if you did, you'd be my hero :banana2:

:awesome:
Reply 3196
:awesome:

I just really wanted to use that smiley haha. Stress of Leeds website has made me cray
Original post by jemimii
I just really wanted to use that smiley haha. Stress of Leeds website has made me cray

Oh gosh, you applied there :redface: did you put in your AS?
What's your rank...if you could get on it :tongue:
Reply 3198
Hi guys just wanted to know how you got HCA jobs, tried to apply for those jobs on the nhs website with no success.
Reply 3199
Original post by vgautam
Hi guys just wanted to know how you got HCA jobs, tried to apply for those jobs on the nhs website with no success.

I found my HCA job by typing in 'Healthcare assistant and the area I live in'. Mine was off Nuffield health's website but I found it on either reed or indeed I think :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending