The Student Room Group

2014 Medicine Re-Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3440
Original post by frogs r everywhere
This will depend on the university. Some clearly state that they do not re-schedule interviews, whilst others may be rather flexible. Where did you apply?

Leeds (interview in January), King's (have good stats - will interview in the early new year probs), and Bristol (my 1st choice lol - interview predominantly in March :colondollar:)
Original post by Hugby1
Leeds (interview in January), King's (have good stats - will interview in the early new year probs), and Bristol (my 1st choice lol - interview predominantly in March :colondollar:)

For Bristol Medical school, they usually tend to give you a list of dates which you can choose through the portal, to book and attend a date in which you are available. However, there is a possibility of an interview offer during the March cycle, you may thus want to e-mail them in the new year (or before) regarding your availability. (I advise you to sound humble and implement an apologetic tone whilst writing the e-mail.)
Original post by Hugby1
How accommodating are uni's with giving interviews according to your available dates? I'm going travelling at the start of march :/

My interview invitations said there was no guarantee that I'd be offered an alternative date if I was unable to attend. If a med school is interviewing students in a random order, you could tell them your availability dates and they may choose to interview you sooner. However, if they are interviewing in order of ranking score, it would be unlikely (IMO) that they'd move you up the list. Personally, I'd keep the travel plans on hold until I had an offer.
Who else is working as a HCA/auxiliary nurse in a hospital? Need a chit chat :redface:
Reply 3444
Original post by ameelia22
Who else is working as a HCA/auxiliary nurse in a hospital? Need a chit chat :redface:

'Sup doc, pm me...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3445
Original post by Pastaferian
My interview invitations said there was no guarantee that I'd be offered an alternative date if I was unable to attend. If a med school is interviewing students in a random order, you could tell them your availability dates and they may choose to interview you sooner. However, if they are interviewing in order of ranking score, it would be unlikely (IMO) that they'd move you up the list. Personally, I'd keep the travel plans on hold until I had an offer.

Have an offer, it just sucks bristol is my first choice. Booked traces already! Eek. Don't think ill mind toooo much though - there's always Asia to cheer me up :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3446
Original post by frogs r everywhere
For Bristol Medical school, they usually tend to give you a list of dates which you can choose through the portal, to book and attend a date in which you are available. However, there is a possibility of an interview offer during the March cycle, you may thus want to e-mail them in the new year (or before) regarding your availability. (I advise you to sound humble and implement an apologetic tone whilst writing the e-mail.)

Ja, have emailed them, will call if I don't get a reply by Wednesday midday, want to catch them before chrimbo.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am, I don't mind having a chit chat :yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3448
Original post by babychocolate

Posted from TSR Mobile

When are you going to finish your job?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hugby1
How accommodating are uni's with giving interviews according to your available dates? I'm going travelling at the start of march :/

Depends on the university. I would always email them and ask as Southampton stated in their interview email that they would not be able to change interview dates, but I emailed them saying I had an interview elsewhere on their interview day and they changed it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Me :smile: not in a hospital though- in the dementia unit of a nursing home

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hugby1
When are you going to finish your job?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Originally I was going to quit in march, but I actually quite enjoy my job so I'm now thinking July/August.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3452

me?? not sure how much more i can take though so close to quitting
Reply 3453
I'm pretty much done, îm not going to lie, it's hard, hard work, and I'm looking forward to finishing... I have handed in my notice :smile: finishing at the end of jan (6 months)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hugby1
I'm pretty much done, îm not going to lie, it's hard, hard work, and I'm looking forward to finishing... I have handed in my notice :smile: finishing at the end of jan (6 months)

Posted from TSR Mobile

After two horrible 12 hour shifts yesterday and today (and another tomorrow!), I can understand why you're quitting!
It's so hard, I've been there 4 months and I'm planning to hand in my notice in March, 1 month before backpacking round Europe!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by babychocolate

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ace - PMing you now.

Original post by ashamoh
me?? not sure how much more i can take though so close to quitting

Talk to me sister!

Original post by itsmagic
Me :smile: not in a hospital though- in the dementia unit of a nursing home

Posted from TSR Mobile

That sounds extremely challenging. More so than a hospital in some ways. My issue focuses more so on hospital stuff though, so will avoid nagging you haha!
After two horrible 12 hour shifts yesterday and today (and another tomorrow!), I can understand why you're quitting!
It's so hard, I've been there 4 months and I'm planning to hand in my notice in March, 1 month before backpacking round Europe!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Who're (that is definitely an apostrophe) you backpacking with? I am tempted to follow you everywhere because I think I need to follow someone rather than do a classic "YOLO - let's just see where we end up," stunt that apparently I like to pull most weekends i have off work, because judging by recent experiences, the result is less than pretty.
Reply 3457

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, it's actually quite horrible work lol. I'm going to Japan and living like a, relatively speaking, king as a holiday. Then we fly to Beijing and backpack south through China to Hong Kong doing all the touristy stoof. Then fly to Bangkok and do that whole classic gap year thing: Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam. Then finally home... Phew

Posted from TSR Mobile
Who're (that is definitely an apostrophe) you backpacking with? I am tempted to follow you everywhere because I think I need to follow someone rather than do a classic "YOLO - let's just see where we end up," stunt that apparently I like to pull most weekends i have off work, because judging by recent experiences, the result is less than pretty.

I'm backpacking with 2 of my best friends who're both on gap years too :biggrin: haha why not?! Come along for the ride :wink: :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)

I'm 'YOLOing' it. :smile: All my friends (except one who's going to India) and teenage relatives are either all at university or live abroad unfortunately. Hence, they wouldn't really have the time and effort to travel :frown: I therefore decided to go solo. I may meet some backpackers along the way. :awesome:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending