Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    2 Interviews done and just leeds to hear from now
    Everything is going much better than previous years ;P

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone

I'm thinking if doing biomed as a 5th option.. but a course that allows me to transfer into medicine. St George's biomed course allows you to transfer to 3rd medicine after 2 years of the course. Anyone have any insight/advice? I don't want to waste my last choice! I know Newcastle and Sheffield have transfer opportunities too.. It's just that as a back up, I still want to study something that covers anatomy/physiology etc..

How's interview prep going? I was told that confidence is the key to interviews, but it is VERY nerve-racking to have like, 4 people looking at you whilst your answering their question! Nerve-racking but exciting though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shaimaa95)
    Hey everyone

I'm thinking if doing biomed as a 5th option.. but a course that allows me to transfer into medicine. St George's biomed course allows you to transfer to 3rd medicine after 2 years of the course. Anyone have any insight/advice? I don't want to waste my last choice! I know Newcastle and Sheffield have transfer opportunities too.. It's just that as a back up, I still want to study something that covers anatomy/physiology etc..

How's interview prep going? I was told that confidence is the key to interviews, but it is VERY nerve-racking to have like, 4 people looking at you whilst your answering their question! Nerve-racking but exciting though
    Having been through the process, I have a couple of pieces of advice...
    • The fifth option is your fallback if you don't make your grades and thus cannot reapply for medicine (NB, a handful of med schools do consider resitters - see wiki article on resits). However, if you do make your grades but don't get any medicine offers, it becomes a tough choice. If you find you've only got an offer to do biomed, would you turn them down and reapply for medicine? If you do reapply, would you choose the same biomed course as the fifth option, and would you expect them to make an offer, given that you'd turned them down once?
    • Someone in my school told me that competition for at least one biomed course was fiercer than for medicine! I think he was referring to Cardiff, but you'd have to check because I have not verified it for myself. However, it would make sense that the competition for places on a biomed course would increase in line with the chances of moving from that course into medicine. The point here is that you should ask about the competition ratios (applications : offers) when short-listing.
    • I've heard that some med schools make unsolicited offers of biomed to medic applicants who they've rejected. I believe that Sheffield does this, but I'd advise you to check as again it's not something I've verified for myself. However, if true, you may decide not to apply to (eg) Sheffield for Medicine and Biomed, as you could apply for medicine only and still end up with a Biomed offer without using your 5th choice.

Sorry that this is mostly rumour/speculation and light on facts. Regarding interviews, I only had 2 interviewers in each of mine, but that didn't make it less nerve-racking. Good luck with your application!

Edit: I just realised that this is posted in the re-applicant thread, so some of it may not be relevant to you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pastaferian)
    Having been through the process, I have a couple of pieces of advice...
    • The fifth option is your fallback if you don't make your grades and thus cannot reapply for medicine (NB, a handful of med schools do consider resitters - see wiki article on resits). However, if you do make your grades but don't get any medicine offers, it becomes a tough choice. If you find you've only got an offer to do biomed, would you turn them down and reapply for medicine? If you do reapply, would you choose the same biomed course as the fifth option, and would you expect them to make an offer, given that you'd turned them down once?
    • Someone in my school told me that competition for at least one biomed course was fiercer than for medicine! I think he was referring to Cardiff, but you'd have to check because I have not verified it for myself. However, it would make sense that the competition for places on a biomed course would increase in line with the chances of moving from that course into medicine. The point here is that you should ask about the competition ratios (applications : offers) when short-listing.
    • I've heard that some med schools make unsolicited offers of biomed to medic applicants who they've rejected. I believe that Sheffield does this, but I'd advise you to check as again it's not something I've verified for myself. However, if true, you may decide not to apply to (eg) Sheffield for Medicine and Biomed, as you could apply for medicine only and still end up with a Biomed offer without using your 5th choice.

Sorry that this is mostly rumour/speculation and light on facts. Regarding interviews, I only had 2 interviewers in each of mine, but that didn't make it less nerve-racking. Good luck with your application!

Edit: I just realised that this is posted in the re-applicant thread, so some of it may not be relevant to you
    Thanks for the advice! I see what you mean when a uni offers a biomed place to a medical place. I'm just trying to think of the best 5th option.. thank goodness I have the grades but the places there are for biomed is so little!

I know right, no matter what it is a nerve-racking experience! Where have you had interviews at may I ask? Mine are both next month!

ReputationRep:
    How accommodating are uni's with giving interviews according to your available dates? I'm going travelling at the start of march :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hugby1)
    How accommodating are uni's with giving interviews according to your available dates? I'm going travelling at the start of march :/
    This will depend on the university. Some clearly state that they do not re-schedule interviews, whilst others may be rather flexible. Where did you apply?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frogs r everywhere)
    This will depend on the university. Some clearly state that they do not re-schedule interviews, whilst others may be rather flexible. Where did you apply?
    Leeds (interview in January), King's (have good stats - will interview in the early new year probs), and Bristol (my 1st choice lol - interview predominantly in March )

ReputationRep:
    Leeds (interview in January), King's (have good stats - will interview in the early new year probs), and Bristol (my 1st choice lol - interview predominantly in March )
    For Bristol Medical school, they usually tend to give you a list of dates which you can choose through the portal, to book and attend a date in which you are available. However, there is a possibility of an interview offer during the March cycle, you may thus want to e-mail them in the new year (or before) regarding your availability. (I advise you to sound humble and implement an apologetic tone whilst writing the e-mail.)

ReputationRep:
    My interview invitations said there was no guarantee that I'd be offered an alternative date if I was unable to attend. If a med school is interviewing students in a random order, you could tell them your availability dates and they may choose to interview you sooner. However, if they are interviewing in order of ranking score, it would be unlikely (IMO) that they'd move you up the list. Personally, I'd keep the travel plans on hold until I had an offer.

ReputationRep:
    Who else is working as a HCA/auxiliary nurse in a hospital? Need a chit chat

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ameelia22)
    'Sup doc, pm me...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pastaferian)
    My interview invitations said there was no guarantee that I'd be offered an alternative date if I was unable to attend. If a med school is interviewing students in a random order, you could tell them your availability dates and they may choose to interview you sooner. However, if they are interviewing in order of ranking score, it would be unlikely (IMO) that they'd move you up the list. Personally, I'd keep the travel plans on hold until I had an offer.
    Have an offer, it just sucks bristol is my first choice. Booked traces already! Eek. Don't think ill mind toooo much though - there's always Asia to cheer me up

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frogs r everywhere)
    For Bristol Medical school, they usually tend to give you a list of dates which you can choose through the portal, to book and attend a date in which you are available. However, there is a possibility of an interview offer during the March cycle, you may thus want to e-mail them in the new year (or before) regarding your availability. (I advise you to sound humble and implement an apologetic tone whilst writing the e-mail.)
    Ja, have emailed them, will call if I don't get a reply by Wednesday midday, want to catch them before chrimbo.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I am, I don't mind having a chit chat :yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by babychocolate)
    I am, I don't mind having a chit chat :yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    When are you going to finish your job?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the university. I would always email them and ask as Southampton stated in their interview email that they would not be able to change interview dates, but I emailed them saying I had an interview elsewhere on their interview day and they changed it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Me not in a hospital though- in the dementia unit of a nursing home

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    When are you going to finish your job?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Originally I was going to quit in march, but I actually quite enjoy my job so I'm now thinking July/August.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    me?? not sure how much more i can take though so close to quitting

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty much done, îm not going to lie, it's hard, hard work, and I'm looking forward to finishing... I have handed in my notice finishing at the end of jan (6 months)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.