Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frogs r everywhere)
    I actually laughed out loud. I could completely relate to this. :lol:

I had a similar incident when a patient pulled a urinary catheter out of his genital area when I was working in SSU. Blood started streaming down his genitals, and he screamed vociferously. I could only imagine the pain he was under.

I met the same patient a week later, he was under his bed sheet. I asked him if he was ok, and he responded "Yes, I am just rubbing it in, it makes me tingle". I wasn't entirely sure what he meant, but when a nurse and I changed his bed sheet, the wet patches and the awkward noises he was making before, made it rather clear.
    How old lol?

ReputationRep:

I had a similar incident when a patient pulled a urinary catheter out of his genital area when I was working in SSU. Blood started streaming down his genitals, and he screamed vociferously. I could only imagine the pain he was under.

I met the same patient a week later, he was under his bed sheet. I asked him if he was ok, and he responded "Yes, I am just rubbing it in, it makes me tingle". I wasn't entirely sure what he meant, but when a nurse and I changed his bed sheet, the wet patches and the awkward noises he was making before, made it rather clear.
    Ouchhhhhhh :pain:

Hahaha that patient will certaintly be remembered :rofl: of all places to do it in!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hugby1)
    How old lol?
    64 year old dementia patient!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ameelia22)
    It was literally the maddest thing...!

I hope so. The thing is my body clock finally adjusted by the 3rd night, but then trying to adjust it back again is absolute hell. Praying the nights get better after xmas. I'm convinced at some point I want to push myself to do like 8 nights or something. Just to say HYFR that's right I effin did it (to borrow a line from a drake song)...

Assuming you're back home for xmas? How was the "break-up" from Uni?
    Oooh, you have a blog? What'sthe URL? Med school blogs/ med blogs get me through sleepless nights :')

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Wow you guys have great stories!!
    There was this guy with dementia who was having skin surgery on his nose once and he suddenly says. Stop stop! Don't touch me. i want another surgeon. So we get his wife to try and calm him down and he starts telling her the doctor was punching him and that he needs to get checked out and she should call the police because he's been abused.... Not sure how she managed to calm him down enough to let the doctor finish :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ashamoh)
    Wow you guys have great stories!!
    There was this guy with dementia who was having skin surgery on his nose once and he suddenly says. Stop stop! Don't touch me. i want another surgeon. So we get his wife to try and calm him down and he starts telling her the doctor was punching him and that he needs to get checked out and she should call the police because he's been abused.... Not sure how she managed to calm him down enough to let the doctor finish :P
    LOL. Was he referred to psych?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CharlieTH)
    Oooh, you have a blog? What'sthe URL? Med school blogs/ med blogs get me through sleepless nights :')

Posted from TSR Mobile
    www.medicmumblejumble.blogspot.c om

ReputationRep:
    Thank youuuuu

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FlavaFavourFruit)
    LOL. Was he referred to psych?
    no lol! he was sent home for his wife to look after. but the next day he ends up in A&E cause he kept picking at his wound and it started bleeding a lot
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FlavaFavourFruit)
    Haha these stories are hilarious...well in ICU, most of the patients are sedated so not much patient interaction/patient stories to tell but one time in a night shift, this patient was so agitated, angry and confused, he would only talk to males....I was the only male staff on the unit, so I had to spend a lot of time trying to keep him calm etc..

Roughly around 02:30, he pulled out his vascath(thankfully the nurse was there to stop the bleed) and there was so much blood everywhere, patient was alright though and he got a stern telling off :rofl:

Doctor wasn't happy about it and had to insert another vascath(they are quite tricky to insert)

These stories made me :lol: Reminds me of some of mine. I've also had a patient pull out a urinary catheter (so much blood!). I've patients try to escape (thankfully wasn't working on the night a patient did escape and nobody noticed until his wife called to say he'd arrived home in a taxi). I've had to help pull a male patient off of a female patient's husband (who tried to defend his wife when said patient burst into the room and went for her).

One of the most awkward moments was with a patient who was demanding that a female nurse put cream on his genitals. Obviously from that point only males helped wash him. Then one day when I was washing his groin area I'm pretty sure I noticed some... erm... stirring :erm:

ReputationRep:
    :teehee:

I am glad I no longer work in a care home, but some of your stories are hilarious. We didn't have too many, but we did have..

- One lady who liked to strip naked and hide in the living room at night, before making a dash for the kitchen when she thought nobody was watching. Often found her naked in the pantry scoffing custard creams.

- One lady who hallucinated about snakes in her bed a lot, but she didn't seem to mind. She also used to talk to them. Apparently once one started 'back chatting' and she got quite distressed at the cheeky snake so I had to pretend to catch the snake (a towel in a laundry bag) to which she said "Ooh, well done you. That cheeky sod. I let him sleep in here, all lovely and warm, and that's how he repays me."
    She was also a rather large lady and also sometimes hallucinated about sleeping on her husband. You'd regularly catch her looking under her duvet talking to him and making sure he wasn't too warm.

- A man who regularly tried to escape. We did a relatively good job of stopping that, but we once found him half out of his window. The only reason he hadn't got out was because his catheter bag was stuck under his chair and it was, ahem, pulling.

We also had an amusing evening that was rather scary at the time. The police knocked on the door and told us that they had received a phonecall about there being a man on the roof of the home. We alarmed all the doors and gathered in the kitchen whilst they went to investigate.
    5 minutes later they came down and just said, "Sorry. Misunderstanding." and left.
    Turns out our live-in manager, a fairly skinny woman with short hair, had been on her balcony having a cigarette and someone in one of the surrounding houses had thought she was a prospective burglar :lol:

ReputationRep:

(Original post by ashamoh)
    no lol! he was sent home for his wife to look after. but the next day he ends up in A&E cause he kept picking at his wound and it started bleeding a lot

(Original post by manupalace)
    These stories made me :lol: Reminds me of some of mine. I've also had a patient pull out a urinary catheter (so much blood!). I've patients try to escape (thankfully wasn't working on the night a patient did escape and nobody noticed until his wife called to say he'd arrived home in a taxi). I've had to help pull a male patient off of a female patient's husband (who tried to defend his wife when said patient burst into the room and went for her).

One of the most awkward moments was with a patient who was demanding that a female nurse put cream on his genitals. Obviously from that point only males helped wash him. Then one day when I was washing his groin area I'm pretty sure I noticed some... erm... stirring :erm:
    So were all you guys trained nurses/ carers then, or were you just doing like work as a student? Like were you formally trained before you could do this sorta thing?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CharlieTH)
    So were all you guys trained nurses/ carers then, or were you just doing like work as a student? Like were you formally trained before you could do this sorta thing?
    I was a HCA (healthcare assistant) in a hospital. I learned by doing as they say. I was well supervise at first though, didn't do anything on my own for at least 2 weeks.

ReputationRep:

Looooooooooool!!! Best thing about working in care is that you meet so many wonderful strange people.
    (Original post by TattyBoJangles)
    :teehee:

I am glad I no longer work in a care home, but some of your stories are hilarious. We didn't have too many, but we did have..

- One lady who liked to strip naked and hide in the living room at night, before making a dash for the kitchen when she thought nobody was watching. Often found her naked in the pantry scoffing custard creams.

- One lady who hallucinated about snakes in her bed a lot, but she didn't seem to mind. She also used to talk to them. Apparently once one started 'back chatting' and she got quite distressed at the cheeky snake so I had to pretend to catch the snake (a towel in a laundry bag) to which she said "Ooh, well done you. That cheeky sod. I let him sleep in here, all lovely and warm, and that's how he repays me."
    She was also a rather large lady and also sometimes hallucinated about sleeping on her husband. You'd regularly catch her looking under her duvet talking to him and making sure he wasn't too warm.

- A man who regularly tried to escape. We did a relatively good job of stopping that, but we once found him half out of his window. The only reason he hadn't got out was because his catheter bag was stuck under his chair and it was, ahem, pulling.

We also had an amusing evening that was rather scary at the time. The police knocked on the door and told us that they had received a phonecall about there being a man on the roof of the home. We alarmed all the doors and gathered in the kitchen whilst they went to investigate.
    5 minutes later they came down and just said, "Sorry. Misunderstanding." and left.
    Turns out our live-in manager, a fairly skinny woman with short hair, had been on her balcony having a cigarette and someone in one of the surrounding houses had thought she was a prospective burglar :lol:
    Blimey, never knew stuff like that happened in a care home :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Had an interview at Leicester on the 16th December, after which I went home thinking that I could relax over Christmas as university admissions teams aren't in over the Christmas holidays... and then I received an invitation invite from Nottingham on the 19th, and one from King's College London 9 days later on 28th. Pretty great Christmas gift. After 4 pre-interview rejections last year, this feels incredible.

ReputationRep:
    Congrats on the job. I've worked in a hospital pharmacy (but not as a pharmacy assistant). Feel free to PM anytime if you need advice.
    Thanks Manu I just filled out my CRB and health check, guess I have to wait a bit till they come back! Hows Imperial and medicine?

EDIT: how come you did not do your pharmacy pre-reg man? better than working as a HCA?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by raveen789)
    Thanks Manu I just filled out my CRB and health check, guess I have to wait a bit till they come back! Hows Imperial and medicine?

EDIT: how come you did not do your pharmacy pre-reg man? better than working as a HCA?
    No problem. Yeah you may have to wait a bit for that (and maybe occupational health stuff too).

I did do my pre-reg (that's what I meant when I said I'd worked in a hospital pharmacy ), I worked as a HCA during my post-school gap year and then in the holidays during my degree.

I wouldn't say pre-reg was miles better than being a HCA but the pay definitely was (but maybe I'm looking back on my time as a HCA with rose-tinted specs). I'm glad I did my pre-reg though, it means I'm able to locum as a pharmacist and make some much needed extra cash.

Imperial is great, coming to the end of Christmas holidays now (worked a lot though (study and job) so don't feel rested or refreshed at all). Term 1 was intense as expected and term 2 is apparently more intense which is a scary thought!

ReputationRep:
    No problem. Yeah you may have to wait a bit for that (and maybe occupational health stuff too).

I did do my pre-reg (that's what I meant when I said I'd worked in a hospital pharmacy ), I worked as a HCA during my post-school gap year and then in the holidays during my degree.

I wouldn't say pre-reg was miles better than being a HCA but the pay definitely was (but maybe I'm looking back on my time as a HCA with rose-tinted specs). I'm glad I did my pre-reg though, it means I'm able to locum as a pharmacist and make some much needed extra cash.

Imperial is great, coming to the end of Christmas holidays now (worked a lot though (study and job) so don't feel rested or refreshed at all). Term 1 was intense as expected and term 2 is apparently more intense which is a scary thought!
    Yeah putting years one and two into one year I imagine is not easy!! I bet its quite science in depth as well since it's Imperial Well hopefully summer will be a bit of relaxation

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

Hope everyone's application is great.

I need a bit of advice.

I want to study Medicine in European Countries like France, Italy,etc,etc. Does anyone know where I can apply and find info about these unis and courses.

I have done my A-Levels and go AAA in the usual subjects. Also, I dont mean to sound picky but are there uni's with low fees .

Any help will be appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by woztar)
    Hello,

Hope everyone's application is great.

I need a bit of advice.

I want to study Medicine in European Countries like France, Italy,etc,etc. Does anyone know where I can apply and find info about these unis and courses.

I have done my A-Levels and go AAA in the usual subjects. Also, I dont mean to sound picky but are there uni's with low fees .

Any help will be appreciated.
    Try this colossal thread for information on studying medicine in Italy. There's also snippets of conversation about studying medicine in other European countries on there too, follow their conversation and links for more info.

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.