Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PG593)
    Yes I agree, I'm curious what they'll be like down the line but for the moment they do sound a bit dodgy.

Well hun this is the month we've been waiting for, fingers crossed :cool:
    Haha, it's exciting isn't it, it's almost like Judgement Day, but real.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by callummj6747)
    Remember it costs the NHS £50k a year per student through medical school, the £9k a year (or £3.5k I will pay (welsh) or nothing (fu Scotland)) is nothing compared to what it should cost, private unis have to charge this because they are not subbed by the gov, if the GMC have approved the course then it's legal and they have to admit to a strict policy laid out by the gmc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That is true, but the £35,000 charge per year for tuition alone won't be attracting any talented working class/middle class kids. I just question the type of doctors who may graduate from these places due to the applicant pool being smaller. If the GMC have approved it, then the course may be good, but as people have said, we'll have to wait and see what comes out of it I guess.
    So jealous of your £3,500 tuition fees though (and your KCL offer).

(Original post by PocketMerlin)
    Haha, it's exciting isn't it, it's almost like Judgement Day, but real.
    I know! My blood pressure has sky-rocketed the past few days hehe Had a GP appointment and it was 140/90 :O

Slightly off topic here but has anyone been following the Oscar Pistorius case lately?

If so, what are your thoughts on it, do you think this intruder was real or do you think he shot his girlfriend in a moment of madness or do you have perhaps another theory?

I could never be a defence lawyer, it's horrible to see them trying to intimidate witnesses in court, it's like seeing a malicious theatrical performance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PG593)
    I know! My blood pressure has sky-rocketed the past few days hehe Had a GP appointment and it was 140/90 :O

Slightly off topic here but has anyone been following the Oscar Pistorius case lately?

If so, what are your thoughts on it, do you think this intruder was real or do you think he shot his girlfriend in a moment of madness or do you have perhaps another theory?

I could never be a defence lawyer, it's horrible to see them trying to intimidate witnesses in court, it's like seeing a malicious theatrical performance.
    His beaviour in the parlympics towards other people blades was quite childish so i can imagine his temper is quite unpredictable and when hes shown on tv he seems to have no remorse and a bit d out of it... has anyone else noticed?

I dont think he intentionally killed her otherwise he wouldve been clever his story seems dodgy though i cant get my head round him beeing in the bathroom if it was an intruder surely his priority wouldve been to see if she was safe if he woke up and she wasnt next to him? I get very confused haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by hl7495)
    His beaviour in the parlympics towards other people blades was quite childish so i can imagine his temper is quite unpredictable and when hes shown on tv he seems to have no remorse and a bit d out of it... has anyone else noticed?

I dont think he intentionally killed her otherwise he wouldve been clever his story seems dodgy though i cant get my head round him beeing in the bathroom if it was an intruder surely his priority wouldve been to see if she was safe if he woke up and she wasnt next to him? I get very confused haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah, each part of his story is so suspicious, I'd be shocked if the jury did not find him guilty especially when the witnesses are so firm in their accounts of that night.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hl7495)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I agree especially with your point in the last paragraph, it's absolutely unintelligent to shoot at a door assuming that an intruder is inside when your girlfriend also happens to be missing from your side, because obviously it could be either.
    You also have the fact that he said that he wasn't wearing his prosthetics when he went to 'attack the intruder' in the bathroom, and yet apparently the bullet trajectory indicated that it would have been shot downwards, from a certain height (i.e, he must have been wearing his prosthetics).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PG593)
    Yeah, each part of his story is so suspicious, I'd be shocked if the jury did not find him guilty especially when the witnesses are so firm in their accounts of that night.
    No jury...it's a judge based verdict! That's why he will walk....

Posted from TSR Mobile

No jury...it's a judge based verdict! That's why he will walk....

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh my bad. Ugh that's even worse then...but how can he walk if he says he shot her by accident thinking she was a burglar. Surely if not for murder, at the very least he should still be charged for manslaughter.

ReputationRep:
    They haven't released the bullet trajectory yet?!? Anyway I think he killed her when he was high or drunk or whatever or just angry and has now panicked and created this bull**** story. He spoke out too early about 'what happened' and must be kicking himself because his story is so improbable - I bet his lawyers are really irritated with him lol. It wouldn't have been premeditated - he would have done it more cleverly - just a moment of madness and he's trying to save his skin.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PG593)
    Oh my bad. Ugh that's even worse then...but how can he walk if he says he shot her by accident thinking she was a burglar. Surely if not for murder, at the very least he should still be charged for manslaughter.
    That's the thing. They've charged him for murder, if not guilty he walks on those charges (he's been charged for various gun offences as well!). He can't go for manslaughter....

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by Hugby1)
    They haven't released the bullet trajectory yet?!? Anyway I think he killed her when he was high or drunk or whatever or just angry and has now panicked and created this bull**** story. He spoke out too early about 'what happened' and must be kicking himself because his story is so improbable - I bet his lawyers are really irritated with him lol. It wouldn't have been premeditated - he would have done it more cleverly - just a moment of madness and he's trying to save his skin.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm thinking the same thing

That's the thing. They've charged him for murder, if not guilty he walks on those charges (he's been charged for various gun offences as well!). He can't go for manslaughter....

Posted from TSR Mobile
    This is why I hate the judicial systems sometimes, so much red tape and not enough action.

Well that may be, but given the strength of the prosecution that's a pretty big 'If'...

ReputationRep:
    Okay away from the Pistorius case..
    I have an interview as for an assistant clinical physiologist post- what do I have to prepare for really? The biggest question also is do/should I mention about applying to medicine this year and if I am asked and since the job type is permanent does that mean I would not get it?
    Ta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chi-)
    I have an interview as for an assistant clinical physiologist post- what do I have to prepare for really? The biggest question also is do/should I mention about applying to medicine this year and if I am asked and since the job type is permanent does that mean I would not get it?
    Ta
    Just say you're leaving your options as open as possible

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hugby1)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Not the 100% accurate one, but the height at which the shots would have had to come from was apparently higher than if he had his prosthetics on, that is what I was getting at.
    It's been mentioned before that he's extreme, and he doesn't seem to care about being careful with loaded weapons, so your theory of this just being down to absolute idiocy is probably correct. I believe he vomited in court when they were discussing the autopsy, and he's shown a lot of remorse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chi-)
    Ta
    I was asked (for another NHS interview) why I wanted the job when my grades were so high, so I did mention being on a gap year, but I was vague about my plans. You could say that you are exploring career options related to healthcare, because employers like to see someone with personal motivations for a job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ameelia22)
    Just say you're leaving your options as open as possible
    Or, perhaps, as open as the Pistorius case??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PocketMerlin)
    I was asked (for another NHS interview) why I wanted the job when my grades were so high, so I did mention being on a gap year, but I was vague about my plans. You could say that you are exploring career options related to healthcare, because employers like to see someone with personal motivations for a job.
    alright thanks, yeah im assuming they will ask me that. Did you end up getting the job then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chi-)
    alright thanks, yeah im assuming they will ask me that. Did you end up getting the job then?
    Yep, I did.

ReputationRep:
    Now most, (may be not all) offers have come through, what have the rest of you guys got planned for the rest of the gap year?

Also, besides buying a few things for our university rooms, making sure our accomodation and student finance is sorted, is there anything else we need to think about prep-wise?

EDIT: When is the deadline for student finance...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ameelia22)
    Now most, (may be not all) offers have come through, what have the rest of you guys got planned for the rest of the gap year?

Also, besides buying a few things for our university rooms, making sure our accomodation and student finance is sorted, is there anything else we need to think about prep-wise?

EDIT: When is the deadline for student finance...?
    There is no concrete official deadline for Student finance (a friend of mine got offer from KCL in June last year and applied successfully), however they do advise you to apply for it by the end of May, so that your loans/grants will arrive by the time fresher's weeks starts.

Not really. I am hoping to go abroad so that'll be exciting! Reading lists maybe? I'm still working as a HCA, so that consumes a lot of my "relaxing" time.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.