Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ameelia22)
    Now most, (may be not all) offers have come through, what have the rest of you guys got planned for the rest of the gap year?

Also, besides buying a few things for our university rooms, making sure our accomodation and student finance is sorted, is there anything else we need to think about prep-wise?

EDIT: When is the deadline for student finance...?
    I'm backpacking around Europe for 6 weeks and leaving on April 19th so need to get my student finance done before then! But I'm still waiting for replies from 2 medschools...
    What are your plans?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itsmagic)
    I'm backpacking around Europe for 6 weeks and leaving on April 19th so need to get my student finance done before then! But I'm still waiting for replies from 2 medschools...
    What are your plans?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You can appky before you firn your offer i am nearly 100% sure

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hl7495)
    You can appky before you firn your offer i am nearly 100% sure

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm 101% sure. You can certainly apply before firming an offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frogs r everywhere)
    There is no concrete official deadline for Student finance (a friend of mine got offer from KCL in June last year and applied successfully), however they do advise you to apply for it by the end of May, so that your loans/grants will arrive by the time fresher's weeks starts.

Not really. I am hoping to go abroad so that'll be exciting! Reading lists maybe? I'm still working as a HCA, so that consumes a lot of my "relaxing" time.

(Original post by itsmagic)
    What are your plans?
    Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh ta very much. I'm still working as a HCA too but I can't decide when is the right time to stop. I'm kinda thinking it may be wouldn't be such a bad idea if I did work throughout summer because it's what, 3/4 days a week max and the money could be super handy? On the other hand, if they stick me on 3 nights / week - i'd resign asap lol I want to go abroad too, but I'm sort of purposefully not making any plans (that's what I tell myself anyway, it's actually pure laziness) and sort of just want to get 2k together, spend 1k on flights wherever, and 1k on staying there for as long as possible (like a month?) but haven't really thought of any of this through properly. It's more of a: it's-a-gap-yah-I-better-damn-well-go-someplace-new mainly because I've never really been abroad if you discount a school trip to Italy.

Can I have some thoughts on some casual blackmail please?
    I'm thinking of saying to my line manager, that as long as she keeps me on day shifts, I'll stay as long as I can / majority of summer. If she puts me on more than 1 week of nights / month, I'll resign by the end of May. Is this out of line?

ReputationRep:
    Oh ta very much. I'm still working as a HCA too but I can't decide when is the right time to stop. I'm kinda thinking it may be wouldn't be such a bad idea if I did work throughout summer because it's what, 3/4 days a week max and the money could be super handy? On the other hand, if they stick me on 3 nights / week - i'd resign asap lol I want to go abroad too, but I'm sort of purposefully not making any plans (that's what I tell myself anyway, it's actually pure laziness) and sort of just want to get 2k together, spend 1k on flights wherever, and 1k on staying there for as long as possible (like a month?) but haven't really thought of any of this through properly. It's more of a: it's-a-gap-yah-I-better-damn-well-go-someplace-new mainly because I've never really been abroad if you discount a school trip to Italy.

I'm thinking of saying to my line manager, that as long as she keeps me on day shifts, I'll stay as long as I can / majority of summer. If she puts me on more than 1 week of nights / month, I'll resign by the end of May. Is this out of line?
    if youre out of line you will be fired - then thats decision made. go for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frogs r everywhere)
    I'm 101% sure. You can certainly apply before firming an offer.
    Oh right okay sorry i misunderstood i thought you were saying about the wait because you wanted it sending off before you travel and you were worried incase they didnt get back and you couldnt apply my bad apologies!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

You're obviously struggling with nights, so why not tell her that? You're being honest in that you can't really handle them well, so being on days you feel you can work much better and more efficiently.
    Are you bank or part time/full time?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PocketMerlin)
    You're obviously struggling with nights, so why not tell her that? You're being honest in that you can't really handle them well, so being on days you feel you can work much better and more efficiently.
    Are you bank or part time/full time?
    I've told them that, but obviously 'it's all part of the job' and everyone has to do them.

Full-time.

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone here working as a porter?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey abybody know how you apply to be on bank? Thaaanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Nhs jobs or vacancies listed on hospital website. Or contact hr directly and ask for application

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robrob9595)
    Is anyone here working as a porter?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I am.

ReputationRep:
    I've told them that, but obviously 'it's all part of the job' and everyone has to do them.

Full-time.
    Ah, I see. The only problem with saying 'if you don't take me off nights then I'll leave ASAP' is that she could easily just fire you on the spot. She may also choose not to give you a reference for any further jobs you may wish to get part-time, or may give a really awful one. If she doesn't fire you, she could just make things really bad for you whilst you're still there.

It's really tricky, because obviously you don't want to be a nurse/HCA for life so there's no motivation to pull ridiculous amounts of night shifts, but if you're worried about income for the time being then there is no better option. Have you considered getting another job if they continue to put you on nights?

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm doing this now. If you are working as an NA at the moment then it is easy. If you have just left your post then, in my trust at least, you have a six week window where you can apply to go onto the bank without having to reapply for a new post. I am joining today as a matter of fact at 1300 - there are a TONNE of forms to fill out.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hugby1)
    I'm doing this now. If you are working as an NA at the moment then it is easy. If you have just left your post then, in my trust at least, you have a six week window where you can apply to go onto the bank without having to reapply for a new post. I am joining today as a matter of fact at 1300 - there are a TONNE of forms to fill out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Good luck! I have volunteered for over a yesr and after doing 50 hrs we can apply to go on bank in my trust i must have around 100 so i was wondering how you apply its a useful option to have whilst at uni!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PocketMerlin)
    I am.
    Nice, I'm thinking of applying for a porter post. Do they have like a zero hours contract available or is it all full time? Just thinking of coming back for work in the holidays etc thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    YES!! ... gap-year paid off, finally got an offer!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tdx)
    YES!! ... gap-year paid off, finally got an offer!!!!
    Congrats!!
    What uni?

ReputationRep:
    It was all worth it! I got an offer from Manchester today!!!

ReputationRep:
    How I ABHOR night shifts. (Especially if I'm assigned to an aggressive patient(s) ). This is my third one in a week. I might join the bank as well.

In a more positive light, congratulations SusieShire and tdx! :party:

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.