Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FutureSurgeon)
    Hello guys! Congratulations to everyone who has received an offer! Hard luck to those who weren't so lucky, I'm sure you'll get 'em next time!

I'm a first time applicant for 2014 entry but at the moment it's looking like I'm going to have to take a gap year and apply as a re applicant for 2015 entry!

I'd like to seek some advice from you guys about this! Which universities are the best for re applicants? Did you apply to any of the universities you were rejected from? And also, I hope you don't mind sharing with me exactly what you did during your gap year? This would be very helpful to me!

Thanks a million (in advance) 😜
    If you are a reapplicant with the grades without resit anywhere! However exeter i think some reapplicants had a few issues with not because they were reapplicanta but in relation to predicted grades etc those with achieved aaa were just rejected because year 13s were predictes a*a*a* i dont know what happened but it may be worth looking into. Nottingham dont let you reapply if you were rejected AFTER interview but that is all i know of i applied to two i got pre interview rejections from last year and got an offer from one of them and an interview (still not heard yet) off one i didnt apply to last year. All unis i know of welcone gap year students and just apply to your strengths and dont worry make your gap year about you and not medicine (that is hard i know) save a bit of your money and youll have far less worries when looking at accomodation etc. I worl part time in retail and then use the rest of the week to volunteer on the ward in hospital so its a nice balance

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scottasaurus)
    Yeah from Glasgow, still waiting for Aberdeen

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Congratulations! And thanks for the advice 👍

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations! And thanks for the advice ������
    Thanks and no problem at all!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hl7495)
    If you are a reapplicant with the grades without resit anywhere! However exeter i think some reapplicants had a few issues with not because they were reapplicanta but in relation to predicted grades etc those with achieved aaa were just rejected because year 13s were predictes a*a*a* i dont know what happened but it may be worth looking into. Nottingham dont let you reapply if you were rejected AFTER interview but that is all i know of i applied to two i got pre interview rejections from last year and got an offer from one of them and an interview (still not heard yet) off one i didnt apply to last year. All unis i know of welcone gap year students and just apply to your strengths and dont worry make your gap year about you and not medicine (that is hard i know) save a bit of your money and youll have far less worries when looking at accomodation etc. I worl part time in retail and then use the rest of the week to volunteer on the ward in hospital so its a nice balance

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Alright thank you so very much for the advice! You said you volunteered in a hospital ward, what exactly were you doing? And how did you obtain the placement?

ReputationRep:
    Alright thank you so very much for the advice! You said you volunteered in a hospital ward, what exactly were you doing? And how did you obtain the placement?
    I applied through voluntary services department of the hospital its really easy to get into people even volunteer for dofe and things not just medical applicants. I helped make beds and wash pts etc and took things to pharnacy and take pts up to theatre some sho's have let me do the ward round with them and if you asled i think you could worm your way in to have a sneeky peak in theatre but i was 17 when is started unfortunately... its what you make od it really you could sit around all day making tea but patients are very willing for you to learn and are so inspiring to talk to!!

ReputationRep:
    x
    hey, it sucks receiving rejections so im sorry for that, but wait to hear back from all unis first and it's worth calling universities on results day to see if they'll reconsider you.

In terms of gap year I started working as a healthcare assistant in a nursing home around exam time, travelled in the summer, worked on ukcat and than my application quite a bit around September/October, worked/ prepped on interviews around christmas, now I've got an offer still working but I've arranged different bits of travel/ volunteering which will be a nice break!

any questions or ought post on here i'm sure lots of people will be happy to help!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by richtea5)
    hey, it sucks receiving rejections so im sorry for that, but wait to hear back from all unis first and it's worth calling universities on results day to see if they'll reconsider you.

In terms of gap year I started working as a healthcare assistant in a nursing home around exam time, travelled in the summer, worked on ukcat and than my application quite a bit around September/October, worked/ prepped on interviews around christmas, now I've got an offer still working but I've arranged different bits of travel/ volunteering which will be a nice break!

any questions or ought post on here i'm sure lots of people will be happy to help!!
    Yes thats definitely worth it i know mamy people who got in on results day

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I applied through voluntary services department of the hospital its really easy to get into people even volunteer for dofe and things not just medical applicants. I helped make beds and wash pts etc and took things to pharnacy and take pts up to theatre some sho's have let me do the ward round with them and if you asled i think you could worm your way in to have a sneeky peak in theatre but i was 17 when is started unfortunately... its what you make od it really you could sit around all day making tea but patients are very willing for you to learn and are so inspiring to talk to!!
    Thank you so much! I'll definitely look into that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by richtea5)

Yes thats definitely worth it i know mamy people who got in on results day

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you for the kind words. And are you sure about the results day thing? I find it really hard to believe that a medical school can be so undersubscribed that they'd have to call up someone they've rejected! Especially given all the competition! If I am to call the medical schools, should I just call the one that only rejected me AFTER interview or shall I call them all?

Also, may I ask what you guys got in your UKCAT the first time round as well as the second time round? Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for the kind words. And are you sure about the results day thing? I find it really hard to believe that a medical school can be so undersubscribed that they'd have to call up someone they've rejected! Especially given all the competition! If I am to call the medical schools, should I just call the one that only rejected me AFTER interview or shall I call them all?

Also, may I ask what you guys got in your UKCAT the first time round as well as the second time round? Thanks!
    Yes i am sure i know two people at sheffield on was rejected pre interview! Worth a try you might get lucky I think most already have a waiting list before results day so they will know if they are going to make you an offer or not so its a bit different to easier courses where you can kind of ring up anywhere.

620 first 710 band 1 second
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Well, personally I think you've got nothing to lose by giving it a shot on results day - try it in the morning and celebrate for results in the afternoon. Don't get bummed out if nothing comes of it at the very least you'll be getting back into the application mind set, it does happen i've known people who've been reconsidered and gotten an offer after results day.

I just phoned were i had been rejected and a couple others. possibly places you'd applied would be best but there's no way of knowing - i think it's to do people missing the grades/ accepting other offers.

my ukcat went from 680 average to 702.5 band 1

ReputationRep:
    Yes I agree, definitely call unis at least the ones you were unsuccessful at as you may be on a reserve list etc.
    ukcat went from 620 to 790 Band 2

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I called up the medschools that rejected me last year on results day, didn't get me anywhere but it's worth a shot! It does happen for a few cases, you have nothing to lose by calling them
    My UKCAT last year was 630, this year it was 790 band 2

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I was so close from getting into Bristol last year after they rejected me. I phoned them up, and they said they will call me back as there were potential places to offer on Results day. They called me back as promised yet commenced with the words "Good morning. Unfortunately we ...." ARGH. So definitely call back. You have nothing to lose.

My UKCAT went from 607.5 to 702.5. (not as impressive as the scores above however :lol:)

ReputationRep:
    hello, this thread is so long that im just going to ask!! im a bit worried that i won't get an offer this year because my two interviews didn't go particularly well! i was just wondering if anyone got in this year with a grades or if an a* or two was a necessity?

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I haven't posted here because I'm not really a re-applicant in the traditional UCAS sense. I'm Irish and didn't get into any Irish medical schools last year. Anyway, I decided to take a gap year and apply to UCAS and the UK medical schools. Gap years aren't really a done thing where I'm from so many people told me I was crazy but as I sit here typing this, I have an offer from St Andrews. Still waiting on GKT, Belfast. Rejected from Edinburgh.

Just wanted to say, you re-applicants seem so focused and prepared for medicine. At least relative to the Irish prospective medics and to some people in the threads I've been stalking.

Wow, okay, that was really tangential.

TL; DR, HI. I'm an Irish re-applicant. I've got an offer and am f***king thrilled!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CarysE)
    hello, this thread is so long that im just going to ask!! im a bit worried that i won't get an offer this year because my two interviews didn't go particularly well! i was just wondering if anyone got in this year with a grades or if an a* or two was a necessity?
    I've got an offer and I have 3As no A*. Only a handful require A*s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CarysE)
    A* is definitely not a requirement... only Oxford, Cambridge, Bham and possibly Exeter(???) ask for the A* grade. I have an offer and I got AAAB (the B was in Spanish though :/)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KerryMan)
    Hey guys, I haven't posted here because I'm not really a re-applicant in the traditional UCAS sense. I'm Irish and didn't get into any Irish medical schools last year. Anyway, I decided to take a gap year and apply to UCAS and the UK medical schools. Gap years aren't really a done thing where I'm from so many people told me I was crazy but as I sit here typing this, I have an offer from St Andrews. Still waiting on GKT, Belfast. Rejected from Edinburgh.

Just wanted to say, you re-applicants seem so focused and prepared for medicine. At least relative to the Irish prospective medics and to some people in the threads I've been stalking.

Wow, okay, that was really tangential.

TL; DR, HI. I'm an Irish re-applicant. I've got an offer and am f***king thrilled!
    Congrats on the offer

It's a pretty good feeling getting an offer!

ReputationRep:
    Yes i am sure i know two people at sheffield on was rejected pre interview! Worth a try you might get lucky I think most already have a waiting list before results day so they will know if they are going to make you an offer or not so its a bit different to easier courses where you can kind of ring up anywhere.

620 first 710 band 1 second
    Posted from TSR Mobile

Alright thanks! I'll definitely call them up then, just in case!

Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.