Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hugby1)
    **** my life. Gap year proper begins with me forgetting the PIN to ALL of my cards - am now sitting in Mumbai airport in 30 oC at 2 o'clock in the morning, on my own, surrounded by mozzies, waiting for a delayed flight to HK.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Wow

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by He2)
    Ooh that sounds fun! 😄 I'm taking a gap year after being rejected this year. I'm really unsure about gap years as I don't know of anyone who's reapplied before. Do you think it would be okay to get a retail job, but do a lot of regular volunteering instead of HCA posts as I am struggling to find vacancies?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah i did and got an offer pm me if you want anything

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tanb)
    I would honestly say do it...can you imagine doing another degree that youre not passionate about??! that sounds like a good plan if you cant get a HCA post. at my interviews i met a ridiculous amount of reapplicants who were all amazed that i had managed to get a HCA job and they were all doing retail and still had decent applications to get them to interview stage. did you have interviews this year??
    Yeah that was what I was thinking ☺️ Okay great that's reassuring, thanks! Yup I had one at Dundee and one at Aberdeen... Just waiting on feedback to see what I can improve on!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FutureSurgeon)
    Hey guys, I'm not sure if this is a weird request to make or not but I'd really appreciate it if some of you could PM me your personal statements!

Of course I have no intention of copying you as that would be stupid since they run plagiarism checks on every personal statement to make sure it's original. And even if the plagiarism checks did not exist, copying someone else's personal statement is not something a good doctor / future doctor should be doing.

The reason why I've asked for your personal statements is just so that I can have something to draw inspiration from. I'm interested to see how you spoke about your respective gap years and how you were able to make it sound so interesting to the admissions tutors that they had no choice but to offer you an interview and then eventually an offer. I'd really appreciate anyone who can help.

Thanks in advance!
    There is a wiki section dedicated personal stamens which should help you .........

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tanb)
    woooh second offer today! definetly take a gap year and reapply guys!! now i have to choose between liverpool and bristol...any advice?
    Im in same position and i picked liverpool as i'm about nightlight and medic socials which liverpool is notorious for. If you want a boring social life and solid teaching pick bristol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Are people interested in my travels? I can continue to post updates if you like - now in HK on a bus having just paid with my new 'octopus' card (amazing choice of word) reading posters which are everywhere showing students our age: 'work in silence, let success do the talking' - these posters are EVERYWHERE, talk about pressure lol. Oo sexy Asian on the left...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If people want updates I can make a thread? Maybssss?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hypothetically, would you rather do medicine in a city you really don't want to live in at a uni you're not interested in, or biomed with a masters at the uni you've wanted to go to for years in a city you know and love?

Any opinions would be appreciated

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by He2)
    Ooh that sounds fun! 😄 I'm taking a gap year after being rejected this year. I'm really unsure about gap years as I don't know of anyone who's reapplied before. Do you think it would be okay to get a retail job, but do a lot of regular volunteering instead of HCA posts as I am struggling to find vacancies?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I worked in a garden centre then for Royal Mail and now for direct line and just volunteered for a charity helping children and the elderly cause I couldn't get a healthcare job and I still got an offer

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philippamalko)
    Hypothetically, would you rather do medicine in a city you really don't want to live in at a uni you're not interested in, or biomed with a masters at the uni you've wanted to go to for years in a city you know and love?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It depends what you want in life. Do you really want to be a doctor? If so, then go for medicine ...you may not like the uni or city but I'm sure you'll change your mind when you get there ...what uni is this out of interest?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Richyp22)
    Im in same position and i picked liverpool as i'm about nightlight and medic socials which liverpool is notorious for. If you want a boring social life and solid teaching pick bristol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeahhh that's what i was thinking but everyone rates bristol nightlife though it's significantly more expensive. Aren't you worried about Liverpool new course...we haven't really been that informed yet?

(Original post by Miel Purple)
    It depends what you want in life. Do you really want to be a doctor? If so, then go for medicine ...you may not like the uni or city but I'm sure you'll change your mind when you get there ...what uni is this out of interest?
    Leicester, I didn't click with it at all any of the times that I went and I've known lots of people that went there and it's just not appealing to me. The only reason I applied was because a girl in my year at school got in the first time round with AAB when i got A*AAA and was rejected from all my choices so my head of year told me to and it was just a back up.

I guess I've just had my heart set on Newcastle for years now and it seems so much more appealing in comparison

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toppy)
    I'm happy to try to answer questions by the way!

I'm going to Southampton in September after the gap year I'm taking this year.

I had 4 rejections last year and also managed to **** up my A Levels by getting A*AB (these are the most irritating grades to get. Over-performing in one and losing out on the other don't cancel each other out apart from at Keele.) So I was a reapplicant AND a resitter. I resat my B in the January session and put it up to an A - meeting my conditional offer.

So far during my gap year I've volunteered at a care home and I now work as a HCA at a local outpatients department.
    Hi, i am considering applying to medicine first time this year, although im not certain i will be predicted AAA so what is the best plan? gap year? i dont really want them to take a look at my application and laugh in my face..

ReputationRep:
    Leicester, I didn't click with it at all any of the times that I went and I've known lots of people that went there and it's just not appealing to me. The only reason I applied was because a girl in my year at school got in the first time round with AAB when i got A*AAA and was rejected from all my choices so my head of year told me to and it was just a back up.

I guess I've just had my heart set on Newcastle for years now and it seems so much more appealing in comparison

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hi, i am considering applying to medicine first time this year, although im not certain i will be predicted AAA so what is the best plan? gap year? i dont really want them to take a look at my application and laugh in my face..

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I could have written that first paragraph about kings too!

I'm assuming you have one offer then....well it's up to you. You took a gap year to get into medicine, would be a shame to throw it away and do something different.

I would still go with Leicester. I've never been there, but I'm sure you'll make great friends there and click with some people. Then there's clubs and socs, loads of stuff to get involved.

(Original post by Miel Purple)
    I could have written that first paragraph about kings too!

I'm assuming you have one offer then....well it's up to you. You took a gap year to get into medicine, would be a shame to throw it away and do something different.

I would still go with Leicester. I've never been there, but I'm sure you'll make great friends there and click with some people. Then there's clubs and socs, loads of stuff to get involved.
    I didn't have a choice other than to take a gap year really, unfortunately I was rejected from my fifth choice and also from my sixth choice that I picked on UCAS extra last year. I guess with a total of nine rejections in the bag I should be rejoicing at the fact I got a medicine offer at all.

Thank you for your input its definitely something to think about

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tanb)
    Yeahhh that's what i was thinking but everyone rates bristol nightlife though it's significantly more expensive. Aren't you worried about Liverpool new course...we haven't really been that informed yet?
    You could do a lot worse than bristol tbf in terms of good nightlife and medic social calendar. I guess your concerns are valid, but these people are professionals so their not going to mess it up. But if your unsure where you want to go, i'd definitely wait for the new course review for Liverpool which will be out soon. Where are you swaying too?

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by Jess_Hills)
    I'm not really sure what the best option is if you're not going to be predicted AAA to be honest, though it would only be worth taking a gap year if you knew that you could actually achieve the grades

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hypothetically speaking, it would be foolish to turn down a Medicine offer in favour of a Biomed one based on city preference. If you actually want to be a doctor, that is.

Push yourself out of your comfort zone. You might like it.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.