Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jess_Hills)
    Hi, i am considering applying to medicine first time this year, although im not certain i will be predicted AAA so what is the best plan? gap year? i dont really want them to take a look at my application and laugh in my face..
    Make sure you get predicted AAA or don't bother applying.

AAA is the most important thing you can do. A gap year will also make you a stronger applicant, they won't laugh in your face!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jess_Hills)
    Hi, i am considering applying to medicine first time this year, although im not certain i will be predicted AAA so what is the best plan? gap year? i dont really want them to take a look at my application and laugh in my face..
    Teachers can be persuaded you do everything in your power to be predicted aaa!! I personally wouls still apply you have absolutely nothing to loose the experience first time is invaluable if yiu do end up getting an offer then bonus but if not then you know what its all about next year

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi there

I'm very grateful to hold offers for medicine but I need some help...

UEA medicine 5 year course or Kings( KCL) foundation medicine 6 year course

I'm leaning towards UEA medical school but which one do I pick ?

The only positive thing I can think of Kings is the course structure-traditional (not pbl) and the hospitals are the best in the country,...

I don't like the look of PBL at UEA but I'm hoping I can adjust! Also I like UEA campus, student satisfaction is much higher, would rather go to London as I've never been there(parents keep saying kings is better coz of prestige ) and also I prefer a smaller year group than a large one, >300 at kings and UEA have patient contact in first year.

i want to choose UEA but everyone (family, friends) are telling me to choose kings.

Don't want to make the wrong choice...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Richyp22)
    You could do a lot worse than bristol tbf in terms of good nightlife and medic social calendar. I guess your concerns are valid, but these people are professionals so their not going to mess it up. But if your unsure where you want to go, i'd definitely wait for the new course review for Liverpool which will be out soon. Where are you swaying too?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think I'm swaying towards Bristol but I do need to look at Liverpools curriculum and student life to make an informed decision. But I'm working in a hospital at the moment and all the doctors usually recommend Bristol as it's got a good rep etc. also I need to hear back from cardiff. Have you already firmed Liverpool??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tanb)
    I think I'm swaying towards Bristol but I do need to look at Liverpools curriculum and student life to make an informed decision. But I'm working in a hospital at the moment and all the doctors usually recommend Bristol as it's got a good rep etc. also I need to hear back from cardiff. Have you already firmed Liverpool??
    I think liverpool do finals at end of fourth yr so fifth is basically as an f1 which means they make good junior doctors it could be something you want to look into (ultinately it doesnt matter everybody wilk graduate as conpetent junior doctors but its just sonething i thought of ti split the two )

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tanb)
    All the doctors in my hospital told me too firm bristol over any of my other choices too. It's no doubt the teaching will be more comprehensive at bristol than Cardiff or Liverpool. But in the long run how good a doctor you'll be because of where you went may differ but the margins will be small. It depends what you want out of uni, if your sole priority is the medicine teaching pick bristol. And yes I've firmed Liverpool as i like the city, nightlife. Student life ect best there.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tanb)
    I got an offer from Bristol but chose Sheffield. I would really advise you to visit them if you haven't already done so (or just go by the feeling you had when you went for the interview). I wasn't too fond of Bristol's atmosphere and the distance between the uni and accommodation. However, a lot of medical students and applicants alike absolutely love it. It really is down to the individual. A university's overall reputation is rather irrelevant.

(Original post by OnionRing)
    Hi there

I'm very grateful to hold offers for medicine but I need some help...

UEA medicine 5 year course or Kings( KCL) foundation medicine 6 year course

I'm leaning towards UEA medical school but which one do I pick ?

The only positive thing I can think of Kings is the course structure-traditional (not pbl) and the hospitals are the best in the country,...

I don't like the look of PBL at UEA but I'm hoping I can adjust! Also I like UEA campus, student satisfaction is much higher, would rather go outside London (parents keep saying kings is better coz of prestige ) and also I prefer a smaller year group than a large one, >300 at kings and UEA have patient contact in first year.

i want to choose UEA but everyone (family, friends) are telling me to choose kings.

Don't want to make the wrong choice...
    With all due respect to your folks and friends, this is your life not theirs. Go to the medical school that you'll be most happy at, as this is likely to improve your university experience and education received/performance as a medical student. Prestige means tiddly squat when you're applying for junior posts, it is all about the individual, how good you are in your year, an STJ exam, additional degrees and publications etc.

Don't base your decision on a university's reputation alone. For medicine, it's all about the course and what you prefer. After all you're going to be there for 5 years or more, personal satisfaction > others' opinions. UEA and Kings are both great, so go with your heart

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PG593)
    With all due respect to your folks and friends, this is your life not theirs. Go to the medical school that you'll be most happy at, as this is likely to improve your university experience and education received/performance as a medical student. Prestige means tiddly squat when you're applying for junior posts, it is all about the individual, how good you are in your year, an STJ exam, additional degrees and publications etc.

Don't base your decision on a university's reputation alone. For medicine, it's all about the course and what you prefer. After all you're going to be there for 5 years or more, personal satisfaction > others' opinions. UEA and Kings are both great, so go with your heart
    Thank you very much for your detailed response

I seriously feel I will have a better university experience at UEA( I'll miss London but I want to move lol)
    I hope PBL suits me!

Thanks again. I would have firmed UEA ages ago but I really don't want to be on bad terms with parents

(Original post by OnionRing)
    Thank you very much for your detailed response

I seriously feel I will have a better university experience at UEA( I'll miss London but I want to move lol)
    I hope PBL suits me!

Thanks again. I would have firmed UEA ages ago but I really don't want to be on bad terms with parents
    Best of luck and congrats on your offers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PG593)
    Best of luck and congrats on your offers
    Thank you, you too!
    I saw your "best week of my life" post

ReputationRep:
    Another 4 rejections. Looks like I'll need to apply for the third time next year this is soul destroying

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robrob9595)
    Another 4 rejections. Looks like I'll need to apply for the third time next year this is soul destroying

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What happened? Pre interview or post interview?

If you can improve a part of your application, I would reapply again.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone still get a bit nervous when they receive an email and you have to check?

I've received all my decisions but still get nervous to check mail

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nandos94)
    Hey, I ended up apply for an NHS job as a HCA last year. See like you I hadn't considered it would actually be quite THAT tough to find one, and I only started looking for one come post-results day. According to your question, some of them have essential/desirable tables in the person specification. It's worth looking at these but these aren't always gospel. Just make sure you've got them largely ticked off, and even those that way they require an NVQ, just go for it. Obviously just be wise about them, but most band 2 jobs should be okay.

What I was told, once I got my job, is that the main way to be a good candidate is to complete the form on the NHS jobs website fully, and also write a killer accompanying statement/personal statement/covering letter. Apparently that's what got me my job, well the interview, which is a huge amount of the work done.

I guess the main pointers I'd give is:
    • Start looking early, use NHS jobs, google and whatever else, but make sure you have enough time to enjoy your summer too. I've only worked 5 months, and I've found that is more than enough to learn ALOT, and make a decent amount of money.
    • Write a decent covering letter/statement with your application and fill out the whole form on NHS jobs.
    • Be prepared to do what is required :P It's not all easy come easy go, there is quite a few things which you've got to make sure you're comfortable with. Even so, you do learn alot, despite the fact you do the job you're doing.

Anything else just ask!
    Hi u inspire me to make the most of my gap year. I really want to learn a lot this year and get a lot of experience. What I am planning to do is one of those gap year projects abroad, but I will have to earn my own money for that. So I want to get a job in the NHS. I didnt even know that was possible at out age!!! Do I just go on the NHS website? and what kind of jobs can you do without a degree? and do u think the pay will be enough to fund a gap year project? thank you, any help will be appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lorobolorolo)
    Hi u inspire me to make the most of my gap year. I really want to learn a lot this year and get a lot of experience. What I am planning to do is one of those gap year projects abroad, but I will have to earn my own money for that. So I want to get a job in the NHS. I didnt even know that was possible at out age!!! Do I just go on the NHS website? and what kind of jobs can you do without a degree? and do u think the pay will be enough to fund a gap year project? thank you, any help will be appreciated.
    This is the website you apply through: http://www.jobs.nhs.uk/
    You will have to register and apply to a variety of posts which may include: porters, healthcare assistants, phlebotomists and all other jobs that do not require a high academic skill. You usually get interviewed to demonstrate that you know what the job entails. You will however need to be over 18 and have C grades at GCSE Maths and English. The pay is reasonable but this really depends on which trust you are working with and the timing of the shift. (night shifts tend to pay more) It ranges between £6-£13 an hour. I would presume that this will allow you to fund a project during the year if you so wish. Good luck! I'm working as a HCA in Accident and Emergency Taking a year out was definitely the right thing for me. You will feel so much more confident once you commence your university studies. You will love it if you make the most of your time.

(Original post by Miel Purple)

This.

That would show real commitment that first time applicants can't really show. However, if this was my decision, I wouldn't re-re-apply and pursue a degree in biomedical science (which is medicine-related). It really is a personal decision to make.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miel Purple)

3 post interview, 1 was hull York who really messed up their process, but I don't know what went wrong, the interview for keele felt like it went really well, and Newcastle felt good but there were some bad parts as it was my first interview :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frogs r everywhere)
    This is the website you apply through: http://www.jobs.nhs.uk/
    You will have to register and apply to a variety of posts which may include: porters, healthcare assistants, phlebotomists and all other jobs that do not require a high academic skill. You usually get interviewed to demonstrate that you know what the job entails. You will however need to be over 18 and have C grades at GCSE Maths and English. The pay is reasonable but this really depends on which trust you are working with and the timing of the shift. (night shifts tend to pay more) It ranges between £6-£13 an hour. I would presume that this will allow you to fund a project during the year if you so wish. Good luck! I'm working as a HCA in Accident and Emergency Taking a year out was definitely the right thing for me. You will feel so much more confident once you commence your university studies. You will love it if you make the most of your time.

This.

That would show real commitment that first time applicants can't really show. However, if this was my decision, I wouldn't re-re-apply and pursue a degree in biomedical science (which is medicine-related). It really is a personal decision to make.
    I can't think of another career I'd happily pursue

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    3rd offer...can't believe it aha. Now I've got to decide between Liverpool, Cardiff and Bristol! Guys if you haven't got in first time PLEASE take a gap year aha

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robrob9595)
    3 post interview, 1 was hull York who really messed up their process, but I don't know what went wrong, the interview for keele felt like it went really well, and Newcastle felt good but there were some bad parts as it was my first interview :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ok well yeah I heard HYMS messed their application up, complete shambles.

Tbh some bad parts at that Newcastle interview could have been the difference between an offer and a rejection...sometimes you're lucky, other times you're not.

For keele, I obviously don't know the questions they asked you but I would review that interview again and compare your answers with model best answers so you can see where you went wrong.

If you improve your interview (your written application is probably good enough) then you will get an offer.

Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.