Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robrob9595)
    GCSE 3A* 6A
    A levels A*AAb
    Ukcat 797.5
    done enough work experience and volunteered in hospital and care home for 1 year each and now also worked in a care home for a year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Surely you got interviews? If so, work on your interview technique!! Perhaps go on a course. I think it's a rip off but they are good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miel Purple)
    Surely you got interviews? If so, work on your interview technique!! Perhaps go on a course. I think it's a rip off but they are good.
    That's the plan, it's doing the ukcat again that annoys me most, as well as waiting another year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    Currently in my final year of studying biomedical science inthe UK, and always was drawn to the career of medicine since I had developedinterest in science itself.
    Recently I applied in UK for medical schools but I gotrejected due to competition in the UKCAT scores, I didn’t do so great in that.
    Then a day ago I got accepted for medicine at Plovdiv MU formy career.
    I am very happy for this opportunity, but I do have fears asI’m a British citizen student I don’t know any Bulgarian nor have I been there.
    Just wanted to know if anyone is currently there or has someexperiences that they could share ??

Many thanks

Biomed SS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robrob9595)
    That's the plan, it's doing the ukcat again that annoys me most, as well as waiting another year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Interviews was clearly an issue here. I'd advice you do "the medicine mentoring" one to one course. It only takes a few hours and it was the best thing that helped me smash my interviews. Much cheaper than any other stufflike kaplan too and it's 1 on 1 quality practice and advise.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    or Apply aboard ??
    cheaper & easier admin

Regards

Biomed SS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mohid Khan)
    stats please
    GCSE 6a* 4as. AS level 4As A level 3as

ReputationRep:
    for those who reapplied, did you find UKCAT easier the second time round? i'm worried about doing it again :s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpiralGalaxy)
    for those who reapplied, did you find UKCAT easier the second time round? i'm worried about doing it again :s
    Not necessarily easier just less intimidating you know the score with how it works i was just a lot more positive and relaxed about it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Doing it again means you know what to expect, how to time yourselves, less nervous so overall you'll feel better which leads to better results.

Although DA was so much easier than last year.

ReputationRep:
    I found AR and DA significantly easier the second time round. VR and QR around the same. (however that is a rather subjective statement). You may not find it easier, but you will be more mature and experienced. Weirdly, all the medics that I know of (on TSR and in 'real life') that took Gap years have improved on their UKCAT.

The most notable achievement I have encountered:
    2013 entry: 622.5
    2014 entry: 802.5

ReputationRep:
    I really hope that unis won't look at the SJT score for 2015 entry (apart from Edinburgh). That section annoyed me as I felt very confident about my answers at the time, yet I only managed to score Band 3 (745 average in the other sections though).

I also wonder how the rating system that was trialled last year for DA will work out this year in terms of how DA will be scored - (We had to rate how confident we felt about each of our DA answers on a scale of 1 to 5 - this data wasn't sent to unis for 2014 entry though).

ReputationRep:
    I found that I was much calmer as I knew what to expect.. sorta! I heard the second time is almost always better. First time, I averaged 642.5 but the second time, I averaged 742.5 which was a huge relief! I used much better resources to prep (Medify- I should've used it the first time!!) which helped a tonne instead of the book and another online practice resource. I am happy I reapplied and it worked out pretty well!

ReputationRep:
    Its been a good journey and i'm still upset about not getting into medical school, but i've finally firmed UEA for Biological Sciences w/a year abroad (australia here i come!)
    Best of luck to everyone whether doing medicine or anything else!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mcollin1)
    Its been a good journey and i'm still upset about not getting into medical school, but i've finally firmed UEA for Biological Sciences w/a year abroad (australia here i come!)
    Best of luck to everyone whether doing medicine or anything else!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Was this your second time applying? May I ask what your stats were on both occasions?

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys! Do you think it'll be a good idea to do my second UKCAT before results day this year so that if I do exceptionally well on results day, I can email some universities to try out my luck, quoting my new UKCAT score (as my old one wasn't very good - only 640)?

Haha I'm not sure if any of that makes any sense?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FutureSurgeon)
    Hey guys! Do you think it'll be a good idea to do my second UKCAT before results day this year so that if I do exceptionally well on results day, I can email some universities to try out my luck, quoting my new UKCAT score (as my old one wasn't very good - only 640)?

Haha I'm not sure if any of that makes any sense?
    Technically that won't be fair

2014 UKCAT score will and should be valid for 2015 entry cycle.

I would do the UKCAT after results day and if you get a place on results day, you can just cancel your test and get a full refund.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FutureSurgeon)
    Was this your second time applying? May I ask what your stats were on both occasions?
    It was! hence the re applicants thread :P

GCSEs- 1.5A*, 5A, 2B, C (probably weakest point of my application!)

First time round:
    AS: AAAB UKCAT: 715
    Work experience/ECs: 6 months hospital volunteering, 2 days in GSK, 1 day in ENT theatre, week in physiotherapy clinic, DofE (bronze and started Gold), Cub/beaver young leader, been to Africa twice with scouts to help out in villages and schools/orphanages, job as a waiter

Second time:
    A-levels: A*AAa UKCAT: 797.5
    Work experience/ECs: as above (obviously...), plus 2 days a week volunteering at a learning difficulties school, a new hospital volunteers placement, job as a science technician at a school, caring for 2 autistic children, job behind a café/bar, became a proper (non-young) leader at cubs

I think I just come across as too modest in interviews so seem really average, or else there's a massive flaw in me/my application that I'm completely missing...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mcollin1)
    It was! hence the re applicants thread :P

GCSEs- 1.5A*, 5A, 2B, C (probably weakest point of my application!)

First time round:
    AS: AAAB UKCAT: 715
    Work experience/ECs: 6 months hospital volunteering, 2 days in GSK, 1 day in ENT theatre, week in physiotherapy clinic, DofE (bronze and started Gold), Cub/beaver young leader, been to Africa twice with scouts to help out in villages and schools/orphanages, job as a waiter

Second time:
    A-levels: A*AAa UKCAT: 797.5
    Work experience/ECs: as above (obviously...), plus 2 days a week volunteering at a learning difficulties school, a new hospital volunteers placement, job as a science technician at a school, caring for 2 autistic children, job behind a café/bar, became a proper (non-young) leader at cubs

I think I just come across as too modest in interviews so seem really average, or else there's a massive flaw in me/my application that I'm completely missing...
    I can not possibly understand why you were unsuccessful with such a brilliant set of experiences. I do wish you well in your new endeavours, however I really hope you consider entering graduate entry medicine if that is still what you want to pursue. You are certainly more than capable. I hope you enjoy your next 3-4 years and your time in Australia!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frogs r everywhere)
    I can not possibly understand why you were unsuccessful with such a brilliant set of experiences. I do wish you well in your new endeavours, however I really hope you consider entering graduate entry medicine if that is still what you want to pursue. You are certainly more than capable. I hope you enjoy your next 3-4 years and your time in Australia!
    If there's one thing applying to medicine taught me it's that no matter how much you've done, if you can't get across what you've learnt from it it's all useless! I gained a lot from my experiences I just couldn't get them across properly, scared of sounding too stuck up! I don't compliment myself enough I think...
    Yeah I'm considering Grad entry but will decide at the time! thank you! good luck in your future

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miel Purple)
    Technically that won't be fair

2014 UKCAT score will and should be valid for 2015 entry cycle.

I would do the UKCAT after results day and if you get a place on results day, you can just cancel your test and get a full refund.
    Hmm that's a fair point...

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.