Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    From reading everyone's responses you all seem to have taken a gap year, anyone gone for the option of going to their 5th choice then reapplying while studying and then dropping out if they get another offer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissfully)
    From reading everyone's responses you all seem to have taken a gap year, anyone gone for the option of going to their 5th choice then reapplying while studying and then dropping out if they get another offer?
    A very rare option indeed. It's not as simple as say, not wanting to take a year out and insisting you start university alongside all of your friends and so still getting the uni experience with them and in the end managing to get onto an undergrad medicine programme with full funding.

The reason behind this is:

1) Whilst you do still manage to get full funding for your "second start", you've also gotten yourself a whole extra years tuition fee debt
    2) the number of places you can apply too are vastly vastly limited - why make an excruciatingly competitive course even more competitive to get onto? Surely you should be trying to give yourself the best chance you can?
    3) is your 5th choice something you can really see yourself finishing if you don't manage to get any offers in your first year?
    4) how will you obtain decent references from your current lecturers when you are dropping out of the course as you only did it to "fill some time"
    5) your current uni may not look at you too favourably if you begin to go down the route of wanting to drop out

I've heard of a few people having done that but it's quite uncommon mainly because some universities don't allow/accept people already on a degree program to apply, so you should do your research thoroughly if you're embarking on your 5th choice purely as a filler whilst re-applying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ameelia22)
    A very rare option indeed. It's not as simple as say, not wanting to take a year out and insisting you start university alongside all of your friends and so still getting the uni experience with them and in the end managing to get onto an undergrad medicine programme with full funding.

The reason behind this is:

1) Whilst you do still manage to get full funding for your "second start", you've also gotten yourself a whole extra years tuition fee debt
    2) the number of places you can apply too are vastly vastly limited - why make an excruciatingly competitive course even more competitive to get onto? Surely you should be trying to give yourself the best chance you can?
    3) is your 5th choice something you can really see yourself finishing if you don't manage to get any offers in your first year?
    4) how will you obtain decent references from your current lecturers when you are dropping out of the course as you only did it to "fill some time"
    5) your current uni may not look at you too favourably if you begin to go down the route of wanting to drop out

Thanks, money isn't really a problem but I do understand the other points which leads on to my other questions, in terms of references for UCAS can I just submit this years references again or do I have to have them signed off again through the school? and is it easy applying through UCAS yourself?

Thanks, money isn't really a problem but I do understand the other points which leads on to my other questions, in terms of references for UCAS can I just submit this years references again or do I have to have them signed off again through the school? and is it easy applying through UCAS yourself?
    I applied myself this year and it doesn't really change anything other than you have to put down an email address of someone that's going to provide your reference and this sends them a link to add it to your application. I don't think you could use the same one again, if for nothing else then simply because it wouldn't say anything about how you've developed in the last year since the first application and it probably won't all be relevant/up to date now.

I've heard from many admissions tutors that you're unlikely to be looked upon favourably if you're applying while already on another course as it doesn't show commitment

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philippamalko)
    I applied myself this year and it doesn't really change anything other than you have to put down an email address of someone that's going to provide your reference and this sends them a link to add it to your application. I don't think you could use the same one again, if for nothing else then simply because it wouldn't say anything about how you've developed in the last year since the first application and it probably won't all be relevant/up to date now.

I've heard from many admissions tutors that you're unlikely to be looked upon favourably if you're applying while already on another course as it doesn't show commitment

Posted from TSR Mobile

So who did you put down as your reference? my teachers aren't going to know me or understand how i've developed over the past year are they?

ReputationRep:
    So who did you put down as your reference? my teachers aren't going to know me or understand how i've developed over the past year are they?
    I'm planning to reapply myself and from what I've read, it's okay for your referee so reuse the first reference, as long as he/she edits it slightly so that it's a bit more up to date and includes any gap year plans / A level grades / anything you have done in the past year that is worth mentioning in the reference (e.g. more WE, longer volunteering, etc).

I'm sure that I, or you, haven't changed much in the past year for the referee to comment on.

ReputationRep:
    All praise to god!!!!

I have an offer

so happy, i'm crying of happiness

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _sparks)
    All praise to god!!!!

I have an offer

Woohoooo congrats where from?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    All praise to god!!!!

I have an offer

Well done! I saw your posts in the medicine forum and you kept on believing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itsmagic)
    Woohoooo congrats where from?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks! SGUL, still waiting to hear back from UEA

(Original post by Miel Purple)
    Well done! I saw your posts in the medicine forum and you kept on believing
    Thank you very much
    PS: couldn't rep you're post, apparently I've been upvoting you a lot recently, maybe in the sainsburys thread :P

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! SGUL, still waiting to hear back from UEA

Thank you very much
    PS: couldn't rep you're post, apparently I've been upvoting you a lot recently, maybe in the sainsburys thread :P
    Ooooo no worries!

Choose UEA

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miel Purple)
    Ooooo no worries!

Choose UEA
    Need to get an offer first from there mate
    Did you firm UEA?

ReputationRep:
    Need to get an offer first from there mate
    Did you firm UEA?
    Haha true.
    Yeah I've firmed UEA.

Btw do you work on tills at sainsburys? I'm thinking of going for a petrol vacancy but I really don't wanna work on tills

ReputationRep:
    This thread has definitely convinced me to take a gap year then reapply rather than go to my 5th choice and reapply/graduate entry so thank you!

I can see i'm going to have many more questions now about what to do from now though, like what sort of things can I do for the year?
    Am I allowed to just work in retail or do I have to really make the most of my gap year from a medical perspective? Can I go abroad and study something medicine related? (any websites with opportunities like that?)

This thread has definitely convinced me to take a gap year then reapply rather than go to my 5th choice and reapply/graduate entry so thank you!

I can see i'm going to have many more questions now about what to do from now though, like what sort of things can I do for the year?
    Am I allowed to just work in retail or do I have to really make the most of my gap year from a medical perspective? Can I go abroad and study something medicine related? (any websites with opportunities like that?)
    Something medical would be ideal I guess, especially at interviews you'll be able to incorporate a lot of relevant experiences and things you've seen and learnt. Keep an eye on the NHS jobs website, actually start applying to lots now, my email has been spammed by HCA jobs in London, I've started mine recently and it's good clinical insight plus the pay is decent Apologies if you don't live in London but I'm sure there are other posts around, volunteering at hospices or hospitals is a good one for exp. but if you want money on your gap year, many have gone and done retail (myself included) and if you plan your year well, you can do many things and save enough for travelling at the end if you so desire.

Glad to see you're going to re-apply, this is what I call a true medical applicant Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PG593)
    Something medical would be ideal I guess, especially at interviews you'll be able to incorporate a lot of relevant experiences and things you've seen and learnt. Keep an eye on the NHS jobs website, actually start applying to lots now, my email has been spammed by HCA jobs in London, I've started mine recently and it's good clinical insight plus the pay is decent Apologies if you don't live in London but I'm sure there are other posts around, volunteering at hospices or hospitals is a good one for exp. but if you want money on your gap year, many have gone and done retail (myself included) and if you plan your year well, you can do many things and save enough for travelling at the end if you so desire.

Glad to see you're going to re-apply, this is what I call a true medical applicant Best of luck!

Thanks, even more motivation!
    I live half an hour train away from London so it's always a possibility! So you've been doing retail and HCA throughout the year? and if you don't mind me asking whats the pay like for a HCA and is it competitive?

Thanks, even more motivation!
    I live half an hour train away from London so it's always a possibility! So you've been doing retail and HCA throughout the year? and if you don't mind me asking whats the pay like for a HCA and is it competitive?
    Oh that's good I've been on many jobs haha, started off in July 2013 and currently this is my 3rd proper paid job, did lots of volunteering in between. I actually was teaching for most of my gap year, personal preference but I wish I had gone for a HCA sooner as the pay does help you work towards certain things (car insurance, tuition fees etc.). The pay varies across different bands but my HCA job currently, I get paid like £9.10 per hour working 37.5 hours a week full time. I think it's a bit of a hit and miss, I had to apply to many before I was shortlisted and it's all about answering their questions according to the person specification for the job etc. like what experiences you have of being a leader/team player actually very similar questions to medical interviews so the more you do in there, the more confident I'm sure you'll feel. That was my experience anyway but honestly whatever you do, get a job, the worst thing anyone can do on their gap year is play video games whilst waiting to hear from your choices - you feel like a bum and you're not gaining anything. A year is a long time so use it wisely You'll enjoy the freedom but the main thing of the job for me, it helps with the waiting game, takes your mind off all the horrible thoughts. Gym is another healthy escapism but again that's what I like to do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PG593)
    Oh that's good I've been on many jobs haha, started off in July 2013 and currently this is my 3rd proper paid job, did lots of volunteering in between. I actually was teaching for most of my gap year, personal preference but I wish I had gone for a HCA sooner as the pay does help you work towards certain things (car insurance, tuition fees etc.). The pay varies across different bands but my HCA job currently, I get paid like £9.10 per hour working 37.5 hours a week full time. I think it's a bit of a hit and miss, I had to apply to many before I was shortlisted and it's all about answering their questions according to the person specification for the job etc. like what experiences you have of being a leader/team player actually very similar questions to medical interviews so the more you do in there, the more confident I'm sure you'll feel. That was my experience anyway but honestly whatever you do, get a job, the worst thing anyone can do on their gap year is play video games whilst waiting to hear from your choices - you feel like a bum and you're not gaining anything. A year is a long time so use it wisely You'll enjoy the freedom but the main thing of the job for me, it helps with the waiting game, takes your mind off all the horrible thoughts. Gym is another healthy escapism but again that's what I like to do

looks like you've been quite successful then, are you reapplying for 2014 or 2015 entry? and in terms of HCA does it take long to get the job? I've heard people applying after results day and only getting the job around January?

ReputationRep:
    looks like you've been quite successful then, are you reapplying for 2014 or 2015 entry? and in terms of HCA does it take long to get the job? I've heard people applying after results day and only getting the job around January?
    about 3 months is about right. i started applying in march, got the job by may, didnt start till july.

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.