The Student Room Group

2014 Medicine Re-Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by _sparks
Being re-applicants, I'm pretty sure most of you would have already achieved the required grades. So do all of you with offers, have UCAS Track show an "unconditional offer"? or did it change to unconditional after completing and sending them the health forms & criminal checks etc.?

It says unconditional. If you firm, it will automatically be confirmed. The term"unconditional" usually refers to the academics..
Original post by Miel Purple
It's unconditional for us.

What does it say on your track?

For me it says "conditional" even though my A-level grades are A*AA

Original post by hl7495
It depends on how the uni puts it through mine was unconditional and then it has like a section regarding health checks but i know some say conditional and on the conditions is only states health checks :smile:

the conditions of the offer are: depended on A-level results and satisfactory health and police checks - according to UCAS Track

Original post by frogs r everywhere
It says unconditional. If you firm, it will automatically be confirmed. The term"unconditional" usually refers to the academics..

It says conditional for me though.
That's really strange!! SGUL are weird:redface:
Original post by _sparks
For me it says "conditional" even though my A-level grades are A*AA

the conditions of the offer are: depended on A-level results and satisfactory health and police checks - according to UCAS Track

It says conditional for me though.

Hmm, that is unusual. Have you entered your A-levels as 2013? If yes, then I would assume the condition is simply based on non-academic grounds .i.e. health, DBS/CRB checks, vaccinations etc. I would still contact their admissions office to rectify this. Which medical school has given you the 'conditional' offer?
Original post by frogs r everywhere
Hmm, that is unusual. Have you entered your A-levels as 2013? If yes, then I would assume the condition is simply based on non-academic grounds .i.e. health, DBS/CRB checks, vaccinations etc. I would still contact their admissions office to rectify this. Which medical school has given you the 'conditional' offer?

Hmm I think they only mean those checks for the condition. My friend who is a reapplicant with the grades also has a "conditional" offer. It's St George's University of London.
Yeah, might contact them just to make sure everything is correct.
Reply 4425
Original post by _sparks
Hmm I think they only mean those checks for the condition. My friend who is a reapplicant with the grades also has a "conditional" offer. It's St George's University of London.
Yeah, might contact them just to make sure everything is correct.

Don't sweat it mate, my offers were a mix of conditional and unconditional even though I have the grades, the conditional one is for health checks, so you're definitely not alone in that boat. Just don't get into police trouble over the summer :wink:
Original post by PG593
Don't sweat it mate, my offers were a mix of conditional and unconditional even though I have the grades, the conditional one is for health checks, so you're definitely not alone in that boat. Just don't get into police trouble over the summer :wink:

Thanks for the reply mate :smile:
Original post by blissfully
So who did you put down as your reference? my teachers aren't going to know me or understand how i've developed over the past year are they?

my head of year that wrote it the first time round, she knows me pretty well and has kept in touch since i left school so she knew things to add in about what i was doing since leaving. She pretty much just asked me what i wanted in the reference and then wrote it around that
Hi guys what is the max no of hours you are allowed to work per week ? :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mohid Khan

Posted from TSR Mobile

Given our understanding of space and time, it is only possible to work a maximum of 168 hours a week. But then again, what do I know? I don't even study physics.
Original post by AnushkasHero
Given our understanding of space and time, it is only possible to work a maximum of 168 hours a week. But then again, what do I know? I don't even study physics.

I mean as a full time job:pierre:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tends to be 40. However in some jobs you might sign something saying you're accepting you might have to work longer.

When the MMS thing happened for junior doctors though, it was meant to be like: junior doctors are working too many long hours (some as long as 80-100) and as a result are becoming fatigued and are prone to making more mistakes. SO: we, the government, will put in a place a limit of 40 hours a week max.

What happened instead was: the junior doctors continued having to work 80-100 hours a week but are now only getting paid for 40. They stay as long as they do because they don't want anyone to die and quite frankly, i've seen those poor souls still there on a daily basis at 10pm when they were due to finish at 6pm.
Original post by ameelia22
Tends to be 40. However in some jobs you might sign something saying you're accepting you might have to work longer.

When the MMS thing happened for junior doctors though, it was meant to be like: junior doctors are working too many long hours (some as long as 80-100) and as a result are becoming fatigued and are prone to making more mistakes. SO: we, the government, will put in a place a limit of 40 hours a week max.

What happened instead was: the junior doctors continued having to work 80-100 hours a week but are now only getting paid for 40. They stay as long as they do because they don't want anyone to die and quite frankly, i've seen those poor souls still there on a daily basis at 10pm when they were due to finish at 6pm.

Cool, where would you recommend someone to work in their gap year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Cool, where would you recommend someone to work in their gap year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

as a hca
Original post by ameelia22

I have seen the same. What a transition, I can not believe the government at times, when they implement regulations without knowing the realities of actually working under them. It's ridiculous.

Before: Junior doctors working 70-80 hours and being recognised for their over-commitment and thus being paid overtime supplements.
After: Junior doctors working 70-80 hours and not being recognised for their over-commitment and thus, not being paid for it as it has now become illegal.

I really see the logic behind this but alas, there is nothing a mere 18 year old doctor-to-be can possible do. Ah well.
Reply 4435
To anyone who had a gap year how hard was it to get back into learning again i find ir quite daunting atm is there anythig youd recommend?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hopefully this won't happen but what if you mess up your grades and for example get AAB, is there no chance for undergraduate medicine?
Does anyone know by when we need to make our decisions regarding firm and insurance choice ? I have had replies from 3 universities, however I am still to hear from KCL. Should I withdraw from KCL and firm one of my other unis instead of waiting hopelessly for a KCL offer? I'm a foreign student so I'm not too sure what the best course of action would be.

Thanks a lot in advance guys!
Original post by blissfully
Hopefully this won't happen but what if you mess up your grades and for example get AAB, is there no chance for undergraduate medicine?

Depends on the university but realistically unless you have a good reason for why you under-performed, you will need to reapply. They give out so many offers in relation to places because of people either firming another uni or not meeting the grades.
Do you think there is any use in me doing hospital work experience in another European country? I have already undertaken some work experience in a hospital in London, but I was just thinking that I should maybe try something different. But do you guys think I will get anything out of it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending