wow all i can say is thanks so much!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frogs r everywhere)
    Hope this helps,

Frogs xD
    What a nice guy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissfully)
    So now i'm done with my exams, i'm kind of wanting to prepare for my gap year and I have a few things in mind, firstly and most importantly I think I will need to improve my UKCAT score (685 last year) and then improve my personal statement. On top of this I will try to find a job/work experience in health care.

Is it more common to get a full time job or work experience in health care, i hear a lot of people apply to become a HCA. How competitive is this/is it relatively easy to get the job and do other options exist, such as?

Also I obviously haven't got my grades yet which is why I'm reluctant to start planning everything like through gap medics (which I plan to do towards the end of the gap year, probably around now in a years time), interview mentor/courses, UKCAT courses and apply for positions throughout the NHS because I heard from other sources that it may take at least 3 months of searching to get a job.

Finally, is there anything I should be focusing on right now that I haven't mentioned above, anything I might be doing wrong in my plan for my upcoming gap year?

Sorry, the posts a bit long. Thought I could seek advice from the experienced!
    Hi i was like you i had a gap year etc dont worry about getting a hca job i worked part time in a shop through the week and volunteered ar my hospital of a weekend l. Apply now to become a volunteer at your local trust its really easy to get on there are alqays places availible even just on reception or as a guide you have to get crbd etc first anyway so it should fall nicely to start in september. Basically do as many hours as you want really even if its just two in the evening or whateveril i gained a lot from thst even thouhh at the time ist seemed a bit pointless because i couldnt do much i was amazed when i was writing things down to discuss at interview and it keep yoy focused on what this year is about. In my lical cluster of hospitals once you work 50 voluntary hours you can apply to become a bank hca which could be handy for a littke extra momey when you go to uni and you basically work when you want! If theres any specific advice on personal statments you want thwn you can pm me. And ukcat just dont be scared of it relax and take it for what it is ita a guessing game anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hl7495)
    Hi i was like you i had a gap year etc dont worry about getting a hca job i worked part time in a shop through the week and volunteered ar my hospital of a weekend l. Apply now to become a volunteer at your local trust its really easy to get on there are alqays places availible even just on reception or as a guide you have to get crbd etc first anyway so it should fall nicely to start in september. Basically do as many hours as you want really even if its just two in the evening or whateveril i gained a lot from thst even thouhh at the time ist seemed a bit pointless because i couldnt do much i was amazed when i was writing things down to discuss at interview and it keep yoy focused on what this year is about. In my lical cluster of hospitals once you work 50 voluntary hours you can apply to become a bank hca which could be handy for a littke extra momey when you go to uni and you basically work when you want! If theres any specific advice on personal statments you want thwn you can pm me. And ukcat just dont be scared of it relax and take it for what it is ita a guessing game anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile

awesome! sounds like great advice thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I'm reapplying this year too! Currently going to start with the UKCAT and get a better score (got 640something last time) and then look around for jobs and work experience.

I've been researching a bit on HCA jobs, but what exactly does it entail?
    What other jobs/volunteering/work experience do you think will make me stand out?

Also, anyone who applied to Scottish universities, do you think there's anything different they look out for? I'm south of the border, so I'm contemplating whether it's worth applying there or whether it will be a waste.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I am also looking to re-apply like pretty much everyone else here, but just had a question as to which medical universities has the highest gap year intake, so basically which universities would I have the best chances when applying to, following the gap year?

Thank you very much in advance for your help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by apple42)
    Hi everyone,

I am also looking to re-apply like pretty much everyone else here, but just had a question as to which medical universities has the highest gap year intake, so basically which universities would I have the best chances when applying to, following the gap year?

Very few, if any, universities give you "extra credit" or a "better chance" for being a gap year applicant / having achieved grades (Leeds managed to **** this up spectacularly this year). And actually it's not the fact that your taking a gap year that will boost your chances, it's a combination of more experience, more maturity and stronger focus. The best thing you can do, as the same with any applicant is apply to your strengths.

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone, in a bit of a dilemma atm!

I'm currently working as a teaching assistant in a primary school and am due to start uni on 22nd September. My contract states that I must give 4weeks notice before I leave.

Initially the plan was to hand in my notice 4 weeks before the beginning of the summer holidays so I was going to hand it in this coming Monday. However, I realised I wouldn't be paid for the summer holiday period and I could really do with the money for uni. I have 3 weeks of term-time in September that I could work before uni starts, so would it be okay (albeit unprofessional) to only give 3 weeks of notice?

Or could I post my resignation letter during the last week of the summer hols making it 4 weeks?

I know I've rambled loads but any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MissJayySee)
    Hey everyone, in a bit of a dilemma atm!

I'm currently working as a teaching assistant in a primary school and am due to start uni on 22nd September. My contract states that I must give 4weeks notice before I leave.

Initially the plan was to hand in my notice 4 weeks before the beginning of the summer holidays so I was going to hand it in this coming Monday. However, I realised I wouldn't be paid for the summer holiday period and I could really do with the money for uni. I have 3 weeks of term-time in September that I could work before uni starts, so would it be okay (albeit unprofessional) to only give 3 weeks of notice?

Or could I post my resignation letter during the last week of the summer hols making it 4 weeks?

I know I've rambled loads but any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Very very awkward dilemma indeed. I wouldn't only give 3 weeks, no. I'm assuming some staff already know that you're not continuing working there after summer? Perhaps this is something you could talk to one of them about?

My mum's a teacher and i know that when she moved schools even though she handed her notice in at her old place she did get paid over the holidays however i've just realised that might have been from the new place she was starting at.

Consider yourself very fortunate to be in a position where you get paid for having a 6 week holiday!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ameelia22)
    Very very awkward dilemma indeed. I wouldn't only give 3 weeks, no. I'm assuming some staff already know that you're not continuing working there after summer? Perhaps this is something you could talk to one of them about?

My mum's a teacher and i know that when she moved schools even though she handed her notice in at her old place she did get paid over the holidays however i've just realised that might have been from the new place she was starting at.

Consider yourself very fortunate to be in a position where you get paid for having a 6 week holiday!
    Thanks for your reply! Nobody at my workplace knows yet but there are a couple of them whom I'm thinking of asking who have been there much longer than I have. Hopefully they'll have a better idea of things.

Haha that's why I'm reluctant to hand in my notice just yet!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by apple42)
    Hi everyone,

I think you get extra points for achieving an a* at alevel at leicester but its only if you havnt already score full marks academically so for mw it didnt matter but it could be worth a look

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Reapplicant here I have a bit of a predicament and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts/ advice. Okay so I had applied to volunteer with vitalise at the beginning of September and I'm halfway through their process of crb checks etc. However I now have the opportunity to go to South Africa for 3 weeks at the end of August with a project that raises HIV awareness, which would mean that I can't go to Vitalise. I could possibly volunteer with Vitalise the week after although this would mean I'd be cutting it extremely fine for writing a personal statement. Another option is to volunteer with one of them after October 15th and write about how I plan to do that in my ps as I'm planning (as long as I get a good UKCAT score - it was reasonable last year) to apply to unis that place a large emphasis on UKCAT and academics. Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts? Which do you think would be a more valuable experience?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fay3ll3n)
    Reapplicant here I have a bit of a predicament and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts/ advice. Okay so I had applied to volunteer with vitalise at the beginning of September and I'm halfway through their process of crb checks etc. However I now have the opportunity to go to South Africa for 3 weeks at the end of August with a project that raises HIV awareness, which would mean that I can't go to Vitalise. I could possibly volunteer with Vitalise the week after although this would mean I'd be cutting it extremely fine for writing a personal statement. Another option is to volunteer with one of them after October 15th and write about how I plan to do that in my ps as I'm planning (as long as I get a good UKCAT score - it was reasonable last year) to apply to unis that place a large emphasis on UKCAT and academics. Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts? Which do you think would be a more valuable experience?
    Go to south africa and forget about vitalise. Your HIV project will more than suffice to write some excellent points in your personal statement.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Can successful re-applicants tell me what kind of jobs did they do during the gap year? I am really struggling to find a suitable job as almost all of them require previous nursing experience. Can you please tell me which jobs are the easiest to get because all I want is a paid job in hospital environment. Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jollygood)
    Can successful re-applicants tell me what kind of jobs did they do during the gap year? I am really struggling to find a suitable job as almost all of them require previous nursing experience. Can you please tell me which jobs are the easiest to get because all I want is a paid job in hospital environment. Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I worked in a bakery haha! And did volunteering on the wards every saturday which is so easy to get involved with so i would recommend doing that and looking for normal jobs aswell for the time being.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jollygood)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I worked as a support worker for people with special needs in a charity

ReputationRep:
    Very few, if any, universities give you "extra credit" or a "better chance" for being a gap year applicant / having achieved grades
    See how Leicester/Keele score applicants - A* grades at A2 replace poor GCSE results. There are more IIRC. Its not "Extra Credit" as such, but A* grades definitely help. It is always about results in the end.
    In other words, if your achieved A2 Grades are spectacular, you DO benefit

(Leeds managed to **** this up spectacularly this year).
    Not really fair. Every applicant had the same chances - either to be judged on GCSE or AS levels. IIRC, you didn't fill in the UCAS form in correctly and so you were judged (harshly) on the weaker set of results. Plenty of peple realised what to do (AS levels had to be explicitly stated).
    Horrible miss I know, but it was your mistake - don't blame Leeds for this

And actually it's not the fact that your taking a gap year that will boost your chances, it's a combination of more experience, more maturity and stronger focus.
    Absolutely, Re-applicants should always do better in an interview - that is where they score over school leavers.

The best thing you can do, as the same with any applicant is apply to your strengths.
    agreed - see comment about Leicester/Keele

ReputationRep:
    St. Andrews prefer applicants with grades already... Definitely consider it as they explicitly say this.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if there is a thread for 2015 medical re-applicants already set up?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FutureSurgeon)
    Does anyone know if there is a thread for 2015 medical re-applicants already set up?
    Yes there is. I think if you search it up, it will come up

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.