Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jojo1995)
    Lol, you are hilarious
    Ah I see, that's a good amount of time. Hopefully I'll mature abit on my gap yar too
    That sounds pretty +awkward+ perfect word.

Idk I am a weirdo tbh ... Pick about food, scared of cockroaches and anything else that isn't a human that moves (come to think of it, I am scared of some humans too )
    Pro-tip; Asda's white chocolate chip cookies are to die for (;

Aha, Kenya's full of bugs! One evening a slug broke in to our hut. Oh, and a gecko came in.. and we never saw it leave..
    Had to double-check my suitcase before I left to make sure I wasn't going to be found at customs with lizards in there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TattyBoJangles)
    Pro-tip; Asda's white chocolate chip cookies are to die for (;

Aha, Kenya's full of bugs! One evening a slug broke in to our hut. Oh, and a gecko came in.. and we never saw it leave..
    Had to double-check my suitcase before I left to make sure I wasn't going to be found at customs with lizards in there.

Ummmm I know the ones, they are delish I feel like some now now

Gosh I wouldn't be able to cope with insects all over the place, i couldnt even cope on my biology field trip in sussex lol how will i cope as a HCA ... Only God knows .

ReputationRep:
    oh okay ... thank you. I've got an offer for a bank HCA job, do you think it would be best to try and get another HCA post as well or just get another (perhaps easier) job ? I don't know what to do
    IMO, take the job. Holiday season is coming up and I expect you'll be in demand. If they can't/won't give you a guaranteed number of hours, ask if there is a guaranteed minimum, or if there's a figure which they think is likely in the coming months. Long-term, I suggest you keep looking for something steadier, but with 'bank' work experience under your belt, you'd be in a better position when applying.

ReputationRep:
    oh okay ... thank you. I've got an offer for a bank HCA job, do you think it would be best to try and get another HCA post as well or just get another (perhaps easier) job ? I don't know what to do
    Congrats! I would go for it as you'll be able to choose how many shifts you want to do and when/where you want to do them. After applying for quite a few HCA posts myself I've been recommended to apply for bank posts because they're not as stressful - you can pick your wards and shifts and you'll gain valuable experience for applying for a full time post later on. The hours at my hospital are 7-7:30 (AM or PM) but banks posts allow you to do shorter shifts (eg. 7-2). I would definitely recommend it and you can always apply for a full time post while you're working as a bank HCA!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pastaferian)
    IMO, take the job. Holiday season is coming up and I expect you'll be in demand. If they can't/won't give you a guaranteed number of hours, ask if there is a guaranteed minimum, or if there's a figure which they think is likely in the coming months. Long-term, I suggest you keep looking for something steadier, but with 'bank' work experience under your belt, you'd be in a better position when applying.
    Thank you Yeah that's great advice, I definitely do that

(Original post by kimsiclez)
    Congrats! I would go for it as you'll be able to choose how many shifts you want to do and when/where you want to do them. After applying for quite a few HCA posts myself I've been recommended to apply for bank posts because they're not as stressful - you can pick your wards and shifts and you'll gain valuable experience for applying for a full time post later on. The hours at my hospital are 7-7:30 (AM or PM) but banks posts allow you to do shorter shifts (eg. 7-2). I would definitely recommend it and you can always apply for a full time post while you're working as a bank HCA!
    Aww thanks, it was good news considering that I turned out to be unsuccessful for the interview (health visiting assistant the other day - even though i didnt perform to well )
    Yeah I'll do that, Bank would probably be best also considering i'm new to HCA work.

also, does anyone know how long contracts last ? bank ones in particular please

ReputationRep:
    Thank you Yeah that's great advice, I definitely do that

Aww thanks, it was good news considering that I turned out to be unsuccessful for the interview (health visiting assistant the other day - even though i didnt perform to well )
    Yeah I'll do that, Bank would probably be best also considering i'm new to HCA work.

also, does anyone know how long contracts last ? bank ones in particular please
    Bank is great for experience all around the hospital! Definitely take the offer. At my hospital, there are bank shifts available EVERY day :lol: One of the negatives is that you don't get paid sick leave But it is very flexible on the other hand.

As for contract lengths, it varies! Some are fixed term whilst others are permanent! I IMAGINE your bank role will be permanent though.

PS make FULL use of NHS discounts

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revent)
    Bank is great for experience all around the hospital! Definitely take the offer. At my hospital, there are bank shifts available EVERY day :lol: One of the negatives is that you don't get paid sick leave But it is very flexible on the other hand.

As for contract lengths, it varies! Some are fixed term whilst others are permanent! I IMAGINE your bank role will be permanent though.

PS make FULL use of NHS discounts
    Thank you for all of this ohh I hope my *to be* hospital has bank shifts every day that'd be good!

NHS discounts? That's the first I've heard, what would I get a discount on ? Presctiptions?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for all of this ohh I hope my *to be* hospital has bank shifts every day that'd be good!

NHS discounts? That's the first I've heard, what would I get a discount on ? Presctiptions?
    Ask the bank if they have some shifts available for a longer period of time. For example, sometimes, people go on annual leave and you can replace them for a while! I'm on the staff bank, but I've been working in the radiology department since January! :lol:

NHS discounts are just perks and discounts on literally everything out there Just check them out as you can get a lot of stuff cheaper than normal!

ReputationRep:
    Ask the bank if they have some shifts available for a longer period of time. For example, sometimes, people go on annual leave and you can replace them for a while! I'm on the staff bank, but I've been working in the radiology department since January! :lol:

NHS discounts are just perks and discounts on literally everything out there Just check them out as you can get a lot of stuff cheaper than normal!

Ooohh, I just googled it and yes i see what discounts you are talking about .... they look quite tasty

LOL that's a long time probably someone on maternaty leave ... women these days seem to be poping them out constantly

I didn't think id be able to choose the department ... I think i'd like maxfax and then another one

ReputationRep:
    Ooohh, I just googled it and yes i see what discounts you are talking about .... they look quite tasty

LOL that's a long time probably someone on maternaty leave ... women these days seem to be poping them out constantly

I didn't think id be able to choose the department ... I think i'd like maxfax and then another one
    It's just funny how it's worked out Before, someone left, so I was replacing them until they found someone else to hire as permanent staff. So once they found someone, another staff member managed to break her arm :lol: So I kept on working in her place :rofl: Now her arm is fine, and another one goes on maternity leave :giggle: so I'm gonna be there until I start uni at the end of September! I think they like me as well, so I'm gonna tell them that if anyone goes on annual leave in Xmas, Easter or Summer, I'd be free to replace them during that period :grin:

ReputationRep:
    It's just funny how it's worked out Before, someone left, so I was replacing them until they found someone else to hire as permanent staff. So once they found someone, another staff member managed to break her arm :lol: So I kept on working in her place :rofl: Now her arm is fine, and another one goes on maternity leave :giggle: so I'm gonna be there until I start uni at the end of September! I think they like me as well, so I'm gonna tell them that if anyone goes on annual leave in Xmas, Easter or Summer, I'd be free to replace them during that period :grin:
    Hmm this is interesting .... 3 coincidences in a row ... anyone one would think you helped the women 'manage' to break her arm and I shan't comment on the lady on maternity leave

LOL

You really are getting a constant flow of cash into that account of yours ... Talking about money, do you know if bank hcas and full times ones get paid the same rate, only my pay will be £7.something an hour .... I dk if This is a fair wage .... But I think I get 15% hca ..

ReputationRep:
    Hmm this is interesting .... 3 coincidences in a row ... anyone one would think you helped the women 'manage' to break her arm and I shan't comment on the lady on maternity leave

LOL

You really are getting a constant flow of cash into that account of yours ... Talking about money, do you know if bank hcas and full times ones get paid the same rate, only my pay will be £7.something an hour .... I dk if This is a fair wage .... But I think I get 15% hca ..
    hahahaha no comment

Well, before my bank job, I was working in a ward for 6 months as well so have plenty of experience But I spend LOADS because we just get paid so much :lol:

Bank staff, I THINK get paid more than normal staff, but I think that is because our annual leave pay is put into our wages, but I think someone else may want to confirm that!

ReputationRep:
    hahahaha no comment

Well, before my bank job, I was working in a ward for 6 months as well so have plenty of experience But I spend LOADS because we just get paid so much :lol:

Bank staff, I THINK get paid more than normal staff, but I think that is because our annual leave pay is put into our wages, but I think someone else may want to confirm that!
    Thank you for all your help and your hilarious stories
    You really are a funny one ... I'm sure you'll make a great doctor!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for all your help and your hilarious stories
    You really are a funny one ... I'm sure you'll make a great doctor!
    No worries, anything to ask, just shoot I don't see what's so funny :lol:

But thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I recently got a job as a HCA in a teaching hospital. Not due to start yet for a few months as I haven't heard from them since they accepted me. Is okay to just do this job during the gap year?
    Is it better to do academic things too? Any ideas?
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Siani94)
    Hey, I recently got a job as a HCA in a teaching hospital. Not due to start yet for a few months as I haven't heard from them since they accepted me. Is okay to just do this job during the gap year?
    Is it better to do academic things too? Any ideas?
    Thanks.
    Great opportunity :grin: Definitely take it! Academic is not really necessary

ReputationRep:
    Great opportunity :grin: Definitely take it! Academic is not really necessary
    Will do! Hope to get the grades this summer. Do you have any advice for me during the gap year or application etc?

Thanksx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Siani94)
    Will do! Hope to get the grades this summer. Do you have any advice for me during the gap year or application etc?

Thanksx
    Get a good UKCAT score That gets the ball rolling :grin: Make sure you give yourself off as an all around person in your personal statement and make the most of your job!

ReputationRep:
    Ok so last year my extracurricular was: 26 weeks in hospital, 1 week in physiotherapy, 1 day in surgery, cub leader (ongoing), 1 day at GSK

do you think i'd be ok just doing a placement in a Special Educational Needs School twice a week and a hospital once a week? not sure about travelling due to the money, I already have a job (waiter) and the care homes I emailed didn't respond

With the hospital, I'm friendly with the lady who organises the voluntary stuff and she found me the day in surgery last year, do you think doing more of these would be beneficial? (would probably do them out of interest anyway, loved the last one!) If that fails, my dad had heart surgery recently and the consultant said I could shadow him for a week possibly

So yeah, do you think this, if put across properly in my PS, will be strong enough?
    any other tips?

thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mcollin1)
    Ok so last year my extracurricular was: 26 weeks in hospital, 1 week in physiotherapy, 1 day in surgery, cub leader (ongoing), 1 day at GSK

do you think i'd be ok just doing a placement in a Special Educational Needs School twice a week and a hospital once a week? not sure about travelling due to the money, I already have a job (waiter) and the care homes I emailed didn't respond

With the hospital, I'm friendly with the lady who organises the voluntary stuff and she found me the day in surgery last year, do you think doing more of these would be beneficial? (would probably do them out of interest anyway, loved the last one!) If that fails, my dad had heart surgery recently and the consultant said I could shadow him for a week possibly

So yeah, do you think this, if put across properly in my PS, will be strong enough?
    any other tips?

thanks
    that all sounds great. I think taking a gap year, you have to show that you really put it to good use, made the most of it and had fun!

I think at an interview talking about your dad's heart surgury would be great (sorry to hear it had to have surgery though )... that could be abit of a story for you - if you are comfortable talking about it that is.

yeah defo try get some stuff with the hospital lady ... are there any jobs you've always wanted to try out ie healthcare assistant ... st johns ambulance volunteer (you get free tickets to concerts i hear ) . your waiter job is great ... shows you can interact with people.

yeah i've got the smae problem with travelling ... i am a picky person and also money
    But that special needs voluteering sounds good ... interesting ... how you deal with the differnet challenges you face day to day there ... sorry just brain storming

Ace your UKCAT ,,,, prep over the summer ... and the other things should fall into place ... percue a hobby perhaps also ... i thinking of pottery - always wanted to do it

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.