The Student Room Group

2014 Medicine Re-Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by minhle20
Hey guys,

I'm going to be reapplying this September. I'm wondering whether you guys are going to apply for 4 medicine and 1 non medical. Or are you going to stick to 4 places for medicine?

I'm currently debating whether I should apply to 4 medicine and 1 biomed. Are you guys in the same situation as me?

If you would seriously consider taking a biomed course then by all means put it. If you wouldn't accept a place on the course even if you got one, then there is no point really :biggrin:
Reply 781
How were everyone's results? Hope everyone made it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 782
Original post by minhle20
Hey guys,

I'm going to be reapplying this September. I'm wondering whether you guys are going to apply for 4 medicine and 1 non medical. Or are you going to stick to 4 places for medicine?

I'm currently debating whether I should apply to 4 medicine and 1 biomed. Are you guys in the same situation as me?

I'll be applying for a back up 5th, probably something like biomed, just in case. (Provided my remark comes back as an A).

I don't think there's any harm in applying to a 5th choice, as long as it's something you would be happy doing for potentially the next three years. It would be sensible to have a back up just in case things don't go to plan during the gap year.
Reply 783
Hey guys just noticed this thread. I am a re-applicant (2013) and just want encourage you guys to plan your gap years. A well planned gap year will help you get the most out of it. If you guys are struggling for ideas, maybe this may help.

Personally, I didn't want to travel because I wanted to save up some money for uni. But it’s up to you if you want to. A few of my gap year buddies went travelling for months and they say it’s absolutely worth it.

For me, I just wanted a job in healthcare. So, I made an account on NHS jobs and started job hunting. I looked specifically for porters, phlebotomists, auxiliary nurses and healthcare assistant vacancies.

Whilst I was hunting for a job in healthcare I signed up to a healthcare agency (HCL fairstaff check it out! ). I was hoping they could get me a job as a receptionist in a healthcare environment. However, they themselves hired me and I worked as a Compliance officer for a few months. At the same time I was working part time at KUMON and continued my volunteering at a local care home - and yes I am a workaholic.

My success rate on NHS jobs was horrible. I applied to about 40 jobs and I received 2 interviews. My first was for a biomedical assistant. Although the interview went well, I was unsuccessful. The other was for a HCA job. Luckily (with many prayers) I got the job. Since then I have been working as a HCA. The experience is great and just working in a hospital really motivates you to study medicine.

Just a bit of advice: A persistent medic is the best medic.
I personally think universities think highly of re-applicants, especially medics, because it shows a desire to study. And since a medical degree is 5/6 years, motivation and determination are key traits to have.

Anyway guys, that is all I got. Hope it helped! :biggrin:
Reply 784
Original post by kimsiclez
How has everyone done?

I ended up with AAB somehow so requesting a remark for the B which is only 2 UMS off :frown:

Fingers crossed it will go up to an A but if not I may seriously need to rethink gap year plans.

Good luck to everyone else, I want to see some fantastic achievements here - we all deserve excellence!

I was expecting AAB and prepared for it. Don't worry you can still apply with an AAB. What you need to do is to wait for the remark and if its not gone up apply to 4 of the following which will allow you to be considered as a resit candidate;

Plymouth
Exeter
UEA (predicted A* in resit subject)
Brighton
Lancaster
Liverpool

Don't be upset. You got enough to apply! And these are all fantastic med schools.

Best of luck!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 785
Hey guys just noticed this thread. I am a re-applicant (2013) and just want encourage you guys to plan your gap years. A well planned gap year will help you get the most out of it. If you guys are struggling for ideas, maybe this may help.

Personally, I didn't want to travel because I wanted to save up some money for uni. But it’s up to you if you want to. A few of my gap year buddies went travelling for months and they say it’s absolutely worth it.

For me, I just wanted a job in healthcare. So, I made an account on NHS jobs and started job hunting. I looked specifically for porters, phlebotomists, auxiliary nurses and healthcare assistant vacancies.

Whilst I was hunting for a job in healthcare I signed up to a healthcare agency (HCL fairstaff check it out! ). I was hoping they could get me a job as a receptionist in a healthcare environment. However, they themselves hired me and I worked as a Compliance officer for a few months. At the same time I was working part time at KUMON and continued my volunteering at a local care home - and yes I am a workaholic.

My success rate on NHS jobs was horrible. I applied to about 40 jobs and I received 2 interviews. My first was for a biomedical assistant. Although the interview went well, I was unsuccessful. The other was for a HCA job. Luckily (with many prayers) I got the job. Since then I have been working as a HCA. The experience is great and just working in a hospital really motivates you to study medicine.

Just a bit of advice: A persistent medic is the best medic.
I personally think universities think highly of re-applicants, especially medics, because it shows a desire to study. And since a medical degree is 5/6 years, motivation and determination are key traits to have.

Anyway guys, that is all I got. Hope it helped! :biggrin:
got AABB, a few marks off an A for one of the B's. I'm really not sure of what to do. I still want to study medicine but i can't think of any universities that will accept me with AABB. any advice?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by blackraven
got AABB, a few marks of an A for one of the B's. I'm really not sure of what to do. I still want to study medicine but i can't think of any universities that will accept me with AABB. any advice?

Resits, remarks, foundation courses are the best options to look into!
Reply 788
Original post by blackraven
got AABB, a few marks of an A for one of the B's. I'm really not sure of what to do. I still want to study medicine but i can't think of any universities that will accept me with AABB. any advice?

I'm in the same position, got AAB. I'm 2 UMS off the A so planning on getting a remark and then I'll see what happens from there. Trying not to worry unnecessarily unless I need to so I'm just going to wait for the remark before deciding anything.

Original post by Dr.Ugs
I was expecting AAB and prepared for it. Don't worry you can still apply with an AAB. What you need to do is to wait for the remark and if its not gone up apply to 4 of the following which will allow you to be considered as a resit candidate;

Plymouth
Exeter
UEA (predicted A* in resit subject)
Brighton
Lancaster
Liverpool

Don't be upset. You got enough to apply! And these are all fantastic med schools.

Best of luck!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks so much, I will definitely consider this - fingers crossed I won't have to haha. Your help is really appreciated :smile:
Reply 789
I'll be applying for a back up 5th, probably something like biomed, just in case. (Provided my remark comes back as an A).

I don't think there's any harm in applying to a 5th choice, as long as it's something you would be happy doing for potentially the next three years. It would be sensible to have a back up just in case things don't go to plan during the gap year.

Yeah I'm also thinking it would be sensible to have a back up. Have you thought about unis yet?
Reply 790
OH MY GOD!!!

I got A*A*A and rang Sheffield who invited me for an interview next Thursday!!
Original post by Maccman
OH MY GOD!!!

Was it through adjustment or clearing?
Reply 792
[QUOTE=missypink

Clearing I guess, I had applied there but rejected pre interview on basis of personal statement

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Maccman
OH MY GOD!!!

Wow! Congratulations and good luck :smile:
Reply 794
I'm in the same position, got AAB. I'm 2 UMS off the A so planning on getting a remark and then I'll see what happens from there. Trying not to worry unnecessarily unless I need to so I'm just going to wait for the remark before deciding anything.

Thanks so much, I will definitely consider this - fingers crossed I won't have to haha. Your help is really appreciated :smile:

I hope so too but they consider you as they do students with achieved 3As :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 795
Original post by Maccman
OH MY GOD!!!

Well done!! Did you get rejected pay interview before?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 796
Thought I'd jump back in here:
Got 3 pre- and 1 post-interview rejections (Sheffield UEA Southampton and Durham)
Managed A*AA (maths/chem/bio) today so extremely happy and definately reapplying, need to sort out my UKCAT though.
Well done to everyone who got the grades and good luck in your applications!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ukstern
I can pretty much guarantee you won't get into Edinburgh unless you ace your UKCAT and blow them away with your Personal Statement; they are notoriously difficult to get into. I know someone who is from a long line of Edinburgh trained doctors, with a grandfather who was a professor of surgery there, and they still didn't accept him.

Well, to Edinburgh, that's pretty irrelevant, as becoming a good doctor isn't something you just inherit. :lol:
Reply 798
Original post by mcollin1
Thought I'd jump back in here:
Got 3 pre- and 1 post-interview rejections (Sheffield UEA Southampton and Durham)
Managed A*AA (maths/chem/bio) today so extremely happy and definately reapplying, need to sort out my UKCAT though.
Well done to everyone who got the grades and good luck in your applications!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Exactly the same position as you! ELATED

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 799
Original post by Kitnimohabbathai
hey guys :smile: I got my AS results and got AAABB(chem,physics,maths,bio,further maths respectively.I am really worried about the B in biology!! I am considering a remark and then retaking one of the units in june but I will be applying to medicine next month and I don't think it will be remarked in time...so will I have to put a B in bio on my application or can I put something like pending grade? is there any point in retaking? I was 14 ums away from an A so around 8 marks...which med schools would reject me for a B in bio?? any help/advice will be much appreciated!! thanks :smile:

What a name LOL kitni Mohabbat heh yaar?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending