The Student Room Group

2014 Medicine Re-Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Hey guys, is there any ways I can get into university for medicine through clearing or any other procedure tow tart from September of this year? I just saw a person saying they got accepted into Sheffield as they got A*A*A? Is there any way I can do this? I got A*AAA

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kitnimohabbathai
hey guys :smile: I got my AS results and got AAABB(chem,physics,maths,bio,further maths respectively.I am really worried about the B in biology!! I am considering a remark and then retaking one of the units in june but I will be applying to medicine next month and I don't think it will be remarked in time...so will I have to put a B in bio on my application or can I put something like pending grade? is there any point in retaking? I was 14 ums away from an A so around 8 marks...which med schools would reject me for a B in bio?? any help/advice will be much appreciated!! thanks :smile:

If you went to a state school (including grammar), The answer is yes. You will have to declare every single grade you achieved. For other applicants, please note that this includes subjects such as general studies/ critical thinking. If you went to a private school or institution, then ask your school for their policies, as some are allowed to leave their subject grade as spending.

AAABB are good grades and will not majorly affect your chances of getting into medicine if you apply smartly. Look out for a TSR site which entitles "Medicine: Apply to your strength" which is very helpful. Out of the top of my head, Cambridge and Birmingham.
Reply 802
Original post by Dr.Ugs
Exactly the same position as you! ELATED

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congrats! I'm actually really excited for my gap year now

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mubashir9995
Hey guys, is there any ways I can get into university for medicine through clearing or any other procedure tow tart from September of this year? I just saw a person saying they got accepted into Sheffield as they got A*A*A? Is there any way I can do this? I got A*AAA

Posted from TSR Mobile

What were your application outcomes? Did you have any interviews? People will be being offered places along their waiting lists. There are very rarely places in clearing.
Reply 804
Original post by mcollin1
Congrats! I'm actually really excited for my gap year now

Posted from TSR Mobile

Me too! Do you know which unis value an A*?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 805
Original post by BethaneyJ
What were your application outcomes? Did you have any interviews? People will be being offered places along their waiting lists. There are very rarely places in clearing.

I got rejected pre interview from Sheffield, rang with A*A*A and they invited me for interview! Call all your places you applied to; you may be lucky!
Original post by mubashir9995

Posted from TSR Mobile

No. Medicine is too competitive and most if not all will not have any clearing vacancies left. If you were interviewed somewhere or applied for medicine for 2013 entry and got rejected, ring them up as they sometimes have few spaces available.

If you didn't apply, then you will have to apply to start in 2014. There are no other options unfortunately. Good luck! :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Hope everyone is still left standing! Not long till we are in the thick of the ucas cycle again! Anybody have any exciting plans outside working in health care??
Reply 808
Original post by frogs r everywhere
No. Medicine is too competitive and most if not all will not have any clearing vacancies left. If you were interviewed somewhere or applied for medicine for 2013 entry and got rejected, ring them up as they sometimes have few spaces available.

If you didn't apply, then you will have to apply to start in 2014. There are no other options unfortunately. Good luck! :smile:

What about something like pharmacy? or are you set on medicine?
Original post by Kitnimohabbathai
hey guys :smile: I got my AS results and got AAABB(chem,physics,maths,bio,further maths respectively.I am really worried about the B in biology!! I am considering a remark and then retaking one of the units in june but I will be applying to medicine next month and I don't think it will be remarked in time...so will I have to put a B in bio on my application or can I put something like pending grade? is there any point in retaking? I was 14 ums away from an A so around 8 marks...which med schools would reject me for a B in bio?? any help/advice will be much appreciated!! thanks :smile:

Put pending grade. Don't worry I got worse AS grades last year and still got an interview. Just ace the UKCAT.
Original post by Richyp22
Hope everyone is still left standing! Not long till we are in the thick of the ucas cycle again! Anybody have any exciting plans outside working in health care??

But now, we are1000 times more prepared :lol:
Have you called up Sheffield! :smile:

Original post by jordi_A
What about something like pharmacy? or are you set on medicine?

I think you quoted the wrong person or was this aimed at me
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 811

How did you do? :smile:
Have you done the UKCAT?
Have you considered any unis you will be applying to? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think you quoted the wrong person or was this aimed at me

Yes they said I'm on hold and will ring me up within the next few days. dunno what to make of it but moving on too gap year as normal if they get in touch thats a bonus. Have you? Bristol?

Yes I feel so much more ready for everything now interviews ect, dreading the personal statement writing though aha.

Oh yes I also sat my UKCAT dreadfully horrible exam, geussed most questions again, so bad at it.. But I did get 690 this time which is ok I geuss.

So this year I'm thing Leeds,manchester,liverpool & either bristol,UAE,st georges, maybe sheffield. Which ever gives me best shot at interview.

Have you got any intial places you want to apply?
Is anyone here applying for st George's?
Original post by cheesypuff

I'm thinking about it? Do you know how they use ukcat?
Reply 815
Original post by cheesypuff

I'm considering it for medicine and biomed.
Original post by Richyp22
I'm thinking about it? Do you know how they use ukcat?

As far as I'm aware they use a cutoff, if you get the required grades (or predicted) you are guaranteed an interview (St George's use MMI and interview a large number of people). The cutoff is usually relatively low (compared to other schools that use a cutoff) can't remember what it was last year but a quick search of the 2013 St George's applicants thread/med applicants stalking page should provide an answer.
Congrats to everyone who received results today, commiserations to those who are disappointed. Don't underestimate the potential value of remarks (before committing to re-sitting), I gained a reasonably large number of UMS marks, think it was over 10 when I had my maths papers remarked. This was back in 2007 but I doubt the standard of marking has improved.
Original post by Maccman
I got rejected pre interview from Sheffield, rang with A*A*A and they invited me for interview! Call all your places you applied to; you may be lucky!

Did you ring them up or did they ring you up?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Need some advice please. Is AAA good enough? I know it's the standard offer but it isn't spectacular. :/ I've requested some remarks and I'm hoping my biology will go up because I got full marks in one paper and a B in the other. If anything I thought the second paper was much better than the first :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending