Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missypink<3)
    Put pending grade. Don't worry I got worse AS grades last year and still got an interview. Just ace the UKCAT.
    If you don't mind me asking how did you do in your AS and where did you apply? do you think its better to put down pending grade instead of a B in biology? Can we enter the grades into UCAS ourselves or does the school do it for you?

ReputationRep:
    Jus got offered int on sat at plymouth through clearing! Anyone know how i can be released if the admin team have gone home for the day at the uni?? Can ucas release me?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hanz_a93)
    Jus got offered int on sat at plymouth through clearing! Anyone know how i can be released if the admin team have gone home for the day at the uni?? Can ucas release me?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ring the clearing hotline if you want to be released, however if Plymouth don't give you an offer you'll be nowhere. If you get an offer, that is when you'll need to be released.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr.Ugs)
    Did you get the grades? I got an A in chem5!!! Was so shocked lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well done!! I got a B in chem5 which I did not expect at all lol. I'm really overjoyed, I got the exact same grades as you A*AA (maths, chem, bio).

Now I can begin preparations with confidence.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Did you phone them up or did they phone you up? Plus what did you say to them like how did you approach to getting an interview?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    4 A* sooooo happy !! Anybody know if Cambridge would consider a reapplicant ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bumble333)
    4 A* sooooo happy !! Anybody know if Cambridge would consider a reapplicant ?
    Depends - do your results show improvement from GSCE to A level to resit and what did you get last year? Any extenuating circumstances and were you at a "good" school. They would expect more A*s than usual but you have them so ask an admission tutor and see what they say. I suspect you'd be interviewed and if you aced the BMAT then maybe.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuziieB)
    Well done!! I got a B in chem5 which I did not expect at all lol. I'm really overjoyed, I got the exact same grades as you A*AA (maths, chem, bio).

Now I can begin preparations with confidence.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Me too! Congratulations!!!! Are you going to consider unis that give you extra points for known grades and A*s in particular. I know Leeds consider this.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr.Ugs)
    Me too! Congratulations!!!! Are you going to consider unis that give you extra points for known grades and A*s in particular. I know Leeds consider this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Don't know tbh, a lot of people will have 2 and 3 A*'s and then we are disadvantaged against them if we go for unis that give definite points to A*'s.

When are you booking your UKCAT?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Just a little warning: people have said that despite what they say online, Leeds admissions office seem to be completely unaware of any of this "full academic points for achieved grades thing," so...

I received my own grades today: AAAa!

Very, VERY happy, chuffed to pieces. I feel a little embarrassed though what with most of you guys' A*'s and things.

2K14 GAP YAH COME AT MEH

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shunoai95)
    Hey, does anyone know if I can retake some A2 modules in the next summer and still apply this year?
    I've left school and I wont be getting tutored from any school, just going into school for my retake exams...
    is this possible to still apply to medical school?
    Been to open days and asked about this. All the universities have said that if you want to resit any A2 modules you will have to be predicted an A* in that subject.

Hope that helps

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What time is it?

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=missypink

At 2:30 but i will need to be there by 12:30 :/

[SIZE=1]Posted from TSR Mobile[/SIZE]

ReputationRep:
    My phones messing about @misspinky so i cant quote! Lol. Its at 2:30 but i will need to be thre by 12:30, do you have one?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My phones messing about @misspinky so i cant quote! Lol. Its at 2:30 but i will need to be thre by 12:30, do you have one?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    They have verbally told me, but I haven't got a time yet.

What results did you get and UKCAT score?

ReputationRep:
    Lol, what's everyone doing and phoning in ???
    I thought that once you get rejected that's it?

And is there a point ringing Liverpool, Leeds, Lancaster or Bristol?

ps I got A*AAB

ReputationRep:
    Hey it's cheesy puff again!$

is anyone here applying for medicine who has done the Junior Certificate in Ireland rather than the GCSE's???

Also what work experience are u guys doing to strengthen your application,

good luck to everyone
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cheesypuff)
    Lol, what's everyone doing and phoning in ???
    I thought that once you get rejected that's it?

And is there a point ringing Liverpool, Leeds, Lancaster or Bristol?

ps I got A*AAB
    If they have spaces or a waiting list then a few people have reported phoning in and getting an interview. It wil depend where you are on the list. It can't hurt to call. Usually there is no point but this year grades seem to have taken a hit and there appear to be a few spaces.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Hanz_a93;43997607]
    (Original post by missypink

At 2:30 but i will need to be there by 12:30 :/

[SIZE=1
    )

Posted from TSR Mobile[/SIZE]
    Did you originally apply to plymouth? Is there much point in phoning unis which we have not applied to

ReputationRep:
    There did seem to be a few places available yesterday but expect all are gone now or interviews now arranged with candidates identified.

My son did well in his 4 A-levels yesterday getting A*A*A*A so he decided to ring around 15 target universities to see if they did have any spaces available. Only King’s said they had a few places of the ones he rang (received an email this morning to say he didn’t get the chance to go for one of the few places they had - he hadn’t applied to King’s before so it was a “log shot”). I notice somebody else who had previously applied to King’s posted early yesterday saying they were rung offering an interview/place.

I also noticed posts yesterday saying somebody had managed to get an interview at Sheffield which was a surprise to see if they had even 1 spare slot available, since normally a very competitive target and when my son did ring them yesterday (he did apply in the 2013 round but didn’t get an interview), they said they have no places.

Hanz_a93 has done well to get an opportunity at Plymouth (well done Hanz) but overall I’ve not seen any other posts indicates a few spaces were available elsewhere.

There are usually a few places going every year on results day as the medical schools address the odd gap in numbers based on achieved results, but a case of trying to find them so only way is to ring directly and ask.

I believe a few universities also have a deliberate “hold list” of candidates from previous interviews to align final numbers after results day, otherwise it is pot luck to find any and yesterday there didn’t seem to be many available apart from the 3 universities mentioned above. May have been more as my son James just rang the target universities he is considering for reapplying this year.

So now onto to reapplying for 2014 for all here I guess. I know my son is actually feeling more confident this year and the success rate of re-applicants does seem better. The value of going through the process once certainly helps with lessons learnt on making sure you pick the best target universities working to your strengths, plus actually having results rather than predicted A-levels, building up the PS more, etc.

I notice somebody mentioned Leeds and extra points for achieved results. I am not sure they are still applying this but based on the open day we went to in 2012. Leeds is the one university from the 2013 applications my son is considering to re-apply to this year, so would appreciate any clarification others have on this. As far as I can tell right now, it does seem Leeds is not giving any point advantage for achieved grades and from the open day details, they operate a “hurdle” approach to applications anyway. So once you pass a “minimum criteria”, whatever you achieved is irrelevant. So if you have 3xA grades achieved, you will get to the UKCAT hurdle anyway and then onto the PS hurdle where Leeds have 4 scoring categories I seem to remember to decide if you are worthy of interview.

Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.