The Student Room Group

2014 Medicine Re-Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 980
Original post by ameelia22
That must have been awesome! I think I know what I'd like to try in a few months time 8)

Congratulations on completing your undergrad and still committing to medicine! I've been working as a HCA for about a month (started mid-July) so get my first pay check next week; you have no. idea. how much i'm looking forward to it! I too can preach about how tough and challenging at times, the work can be. Last night, on my 10th out of 12 hour shift, one very confused patient punched my colleague in the chest, completely winded her. Luckily, she is quite a big strong woman and managed to settle him down - but I honestly think, if the same thing had happened to me, being a small young girl, I would have hit the ground...

After an unnecessarily extreme stress about my fourth AS in RS being a C, pre-results day I started looking at universities that will consider your application if you had a C or lower. I know a couple that don't mind a C, however to find ones that don't mind an E is much more difficult. I suggest you look at some scottish universities, and see what they require... they tend to be less bothered.

I cannot stress enough though, that without extenuating circumstances, you may struggle to find universities that are suited to your application when you have an E; (I hate to be the most negative here but) also consider alternative routes into medicine now.

I expect to see a few more blog posts when that job starts :wink:
"Not gonna lie" the 12 hour shifts are horrid. As a HCA (which is probably a bit more different to a TSW) I can get through the first 6 hours no problem (more staff are always on in the morning), it's chaos, but it's doable. The next 6 however...

Best of luck with the remark, you going to resit if it doesn't go up?

All medical schools accept reapplicants. Not all schools accept resitters.

What are these "personal reasons"? Call me nosy, but I want more detail. If its, "I can't handle cleaning up poo," whilst that's sometimes how it feels, that's not the case. Anyway, pick a ward that has less of that, (avoid stroke wards in this case - poo heaven), go for something like outpatients. If you read the 2013 thread, a reapplicant on there was a HCA for outpatients, and did virtually none. Although he was bored out of his mind, there's always that.

If it's something else, tell us, and there might be away around it. Time; go part time / bank. Parent's don't want you too - explain how vital it is, and that you can't get into medical school without it (it's a lie, but they'll suddenly change their tune, just you watch) etc. In my mums case she was worried that I would get too comfortable earning my own money and living for the now now now, and then never go to uni.

You don't need it. Plenty of reapplicants got in without it. IMO, I love working on the wards, I need the money, I have gained so much experience already, it's going to improve my application loads, will make me approach interviews and things far better - it's just a win-win.

Volunteering long term is great. One of the reasons I didn't get a previous job, is because that's all I had done - they wanted someone to have been paid, and hence forced to do some of the less-pleasant jobs of patient care rather than those who get to sit / chat/ feed/ move patients which is all I had done.

Well basically... I applied to some universities in a Scandinavian country. They told me that I fulfill all academic requirements but I need to refresh my speaking and writing in that language so I am planning to that after a few months so I can start next year.
Therefore, I cannot commit to any jobs.. kinda sucks right lol.
(Bet you weren't expecting that)
Original post by ynm1
Well basically... I applied to some universities in a Scandinavian country. They told me that I fulfill all academic requirements but I need to refresh my speaking and writing in that language so I am planning to that after a few months so I can start next year.
Therefore, I cannot commit to any jobs.. kinda sucks right lol.
(Bet you weren't expecting that)

You really ought to read my earlier post (about a page back) to Kimsiclez, and the following post by another user. Be selfish.

You haven't bothered to even look at jobs that just want someone temporarily, and there are plenty about and a few months is plenty of time. If there aren't any where you want in what you want, you are allowed to take a permanent job - and then (giving due notice, which is usually not longer than a month) let them know that circumstances have changed and that you aren't able to work for them any more.

As another user said (sorry to be taking your credit, I've completely forgotten your username!) but any line manager wouldn't "bat an eyelid if they wanted you fired.".

Sorry mate, I understand your in some really strange circumstances, but I'm not buying that excuse.
Reply 982
Oh my god i had my interview at sheffield today and i got an offer!!!!
Original post by Maccman

All this "If you don't get an offer, don't bother ringing up on results day," is obviously complete rubbish, so congratulations!!
Reply 984
If I knew I could still call up schools after results, would I not have called every single one of them??

Well done to all those who got offers btw, I'm just bitter.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 985

I expect to see a few more blog posts when that job starts :wink:
"Not gonna lie" the 12 hour shifts are horrid. As a HCA (which is probably a bit more different to a TSW) I can get through the first 6 hours no problem (more staff are always on in the morning), it's chaos, but it's doable. The next 6 however...

Best of luck with the remark, you going to resit if it doesn't go up?

That's the thing I guess, I'm worried about diving straight into the long hours. Hopefully TSW work isn't too mundane, I know I'll be losing out on a lot of the patient interaction and contact but at least it involves a bit. How long do you manage to get for breaks? Will you be doing night shifts at all? It's great to hear how you're getting on with it :smile:

If the remark doesn't go up then I don't know what I'll do. Most likely apply for Biomed or something and then try either transferring or grad entry. The thing is, I've only taken Biology to AS and I'm planning on finishing off the A Level during my gap year but I don't think many of the unis would accept that on top of me resitting. I don't even know whether I'd have the confidence to resit for just 2 UMS :L So time will tell, just praying it goes up!

Original post by ynm1
It seems like everyone here is pretty much applying or doing HCA jobs. For some personal reasons, I cannot apply for one myself and I was wondering how necessary is it to have one. I'm currently volunteering at a care and was wondering whether that is enough.

Thanks in advance :smile:

I wouldn't say it's at all necessary, it's just that as most of us have the whole year with nothing specific planned we now have an opportunity to get involved in things that we may not otherwise have had a chance to do. HCA work looks good on an application because ti would show commitment, dedication and all that to the medical profession but at the end of the day it's just a different way of gaining experience. In the PS, I'm sure many of the skills that would be talked about from doing such a job would be similar to those you would find in any other job eg. showing initiative/leadership/communication. As you're volunteering in a care home already, you're demonstrating that you've got a caring attitude which is really what the admissions tutors would be after and as long as you talk about what you learn from that then it shouldn't separate you from someone who was a HCA. I wouldn't think anyone would be disadvantaged by not doing HCA work, it's just simply a popular option which ticks all the boxes of getting experience, showing a caring attitude and of course earning money! Are you taking a gap year yourself?

Original post by Maccman

That's fantastic news! Congratulations! Must be quite a shock :tongue: Gap year plans scrapped then!
Reply 986
Do you think it's too late to start applying from tomorrow?

I've kind of just realised that I don't need to do GEM and could apply for the 5 year course with my degree instead... but it's late in the summer and it's been 3 years since I last used UCAS... Is it possible to get everything signed and sent off by October 15th?
Original post by Abcmsaj

I've kind of just realised that I don't need to do GEM and could apply for the 5 year course with my degree instead... but it's late in the summer and it's been 3 years since I last used UCAS... Is it possible to get everything signed and sent off by October 15th?

have you done the UKCAT? If not, book the test ASAP and you will be fine with the rest. Good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SuziieB
If I knew I could still call up schools after results, would I not have called every single one of them??

Well done to all those who got offers btw, I'm just bitter.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Luckily for you, I did ring every school.

Only KCL and Plymouth were willing to consider you, even if you hadn't applied to them in the first place.
Most other schools wanted to know if you'd applied to them in the first place before they could (re)consider you.
Everyone else said they were full, there was nothing more they could do, and urged me to reapply.

It happens every year. I remember reading on last years reapplicant thread someone getting into Edinburgh suddenly or something.
Original post by Abcmsaj

Absolutely not. UKCAT booked, prep, and go for it!

Original post by kimsiclez
That's the thing I guess, I'm worried about diving straight into the long hours. Hopefully TSW work isn't too mundane, I know I'll be losing out on a lot of the patient interaction and contact but at least it involves a bit. How long do you manage to get for breaks? Will you be doing night shifts at all? It's great to hear how you're getting on with it :smile:

If the remark doesn't go up then I don't know what I'll do. Most likely apply for Biomed or something and then try either transferring or grad entry. The thing is, I've only taken Biology to AS and I'm planning on finishing off the A Level during my gap year but I don't think many of the unis would accept that on top of me resitting. I don't even know whether I'd have the confidence to resit for just 2 UMS :L So time will tell, just praying it goes up!

It's getting your foot in the door at least, and that's the hardest part. Much easier to get another role once you there anyway!

So my 12 hour shift is about 0730-2000. I'll get a half hour break at about 1030, and another at 1530, whenever I want really. I have my first night shifts in the first week of september, however I am ****ting myself because i've got this nightmare staff nurse on with me.

Ah, much more complex than I first thought, was just curious as to if you were going to try resitting. Fingers crossed!
Reply 990
Absolutely not. UKCAT booked, prep, and go for it!

Original post by Yishen Wang
have you done the UKCAT? If not, book the test ASAP and you will be fine with the rest. Good luck :smile:

Thanks, both! I'm entitled to a bursary with it, I think... so I imagine that means even after the late exams in September. Gonna have to browse the wiki to remember what UCAS require... but my head's saying personal statement, choices, reference and UKCAT is separate from it all...

Maaaan, I've left this brainwave a little too late in the summer!
Last spam of the awards.. voting closes Saturday around midnight, so be sure to vote if you want to help boost the egos of some of the medicine community we have here on TSR!

Full details and survey can be found in this announcement: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/announcement.php?f=195&a=1325
Can finally join you guys! After getting 4 rejections last year with a not so good ukcat I have come out with 740 avg today and hopefully can now get an interview! This is my 2nd gap year but only 2nd time applying so fingers crossed it goes better this time :biggrin:
Original post by Abcmsaj

Why don't you want to apply for GEM? You're going through essentially the same admissions process.

Original post by Abcmsaj
Thanks, both! I'm entitled to a bursary with it, I think... so I imagine that means even after the late exams in September. Gonna have to browse the wiki to remember what UCAS require... but my head's saying personal statement, choices, reference and UKCAT is separate from it all...

Maaaan, I've left this brainwave a little too late in the summer!

I'm assuming you're referring to the UKCAT bursary but on a related note are you aware of the differences in funding for graduate entry medicine courses and the funding for graduates on standard courses? Just want to make sure as the difference is huge.
Reply 994
Original post by raveen789
Can finally join you guys! After getting 4 rejections last year with a not so good ukcat I have come out with 740 avg today and hopefully can now get an interview! This is my 2nd gap year but only 2nd time applying so fingers crossed it goes better this time :biggrin:

What was your score last year as. Congrats!! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dr.Ugs
What was your score last year as. Congrats!! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

620 :smile: Oh and thanks!! :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 996
620 :smile: Oh and thanks!! :smile:

WOW! That is awesome! Well done! May I ask what resources you used this time round?
Reply 997
Original post by manupalace
Why don't you want to apply for GEM? You're going through essentially the same admissions process.

Most unis with GEM courses require you to have between 4-12 months of full-time & paid work experience under your belt. I'm starting my final year of uni this September and so won't have time this year to get that experience before Sept 2014. I do however have relevant work experience is care homes and shadowing that I can use for the A100 course, and am working in a care home throughout this year too. To apply for GEM, I'd need to wait another year to get the experience and then ANOTHER year before all the interviews and offers are made, so I won't be starting it by 2016 at the earliest :frown:
Original post by Obaidiio
WOW! That is awesome! Well done! May I ask what resources you used this time round?

Going to be honest and say I went on the kaplan course, so used their materials they had a lot of stuff. Medify is super awesome as well and 600q. Most of the other books are kind of lame such as the new 600 Q book, UKCAT for dummies is lame (imo) and so is this other book I got called UKCAT (lol its a big blue book). With the new style questions the best place is to practice on mocks find out what works for you and STJ is a lot to do with common sense and practice helps too. I looked at the GMC guidelines where Patient confidentiality is important ect ect. I got Band 1 in that :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 999
Going to be honest and say I went on the kaplan course, so used their materials they had a lot of stuff. Medify is super awesome as well and 600q. Most of the other books are kind of lame such as the new 600 Q book, UKCAT for dummies is lame (imo) and so is this other book I got called UKCAT (lol its a big blue book). With the new style questions the best place is to practice on mocks find out what works for you and STJ is a lot to do with common sense and practice helps too. I looked at the GMC guidelines where Patient confidentiality is important ect ect. I got Band 1 in that :smile:

That is frikkin awesome! All your efforts paid off so congratulations for that! I have the 600Q book and I am starting my medify practice today. I have booked my test for the 26th of Sept so hopefully all goes well. I don't have that many resources tp utilise but these two should suffice. I am a reapplicant to medicine too, so I kinda know what to expect but still dreading the exam. Last year, I used an online course my school gave me called Emedica but that didnt work out too well... got 640 :'(
Medify is now my beacon of hope! I haven't picked up a book in two months so I need to get mind active again, especially for the QR section!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending