Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kashc94)
    Applied to UCL, sheffield, durham and HYMS first time. Got interviews from UCL and HYMS and got rejected after interview. Got results in the summer and got ABB, in biology, chemistry and maths respectively. Resitting and reapplying this year to Lancaster, plymouth, east anglia and Exeter.

Had an A* in an Urdu A level completed in one year at the end of yr 12. For some odd reason exeter and plymouth are saying they'll accept it as an A* if I resit chemistry and get an A.

Soooo nervous about applying this year its unreal :/

Any advice on what to do in gap year? Thanks
    Well that's the point of a GAP year. You can do anything you like
    (as long as it is productive, it doesn't matter what you do)

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I forgot that there is two types of way that medical schools teach their stuff. Im not really talking about PBL vs traditional but it's like system based learning vs ______ not sure what it is, think it could be life cycles?

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know unis which put preference on high achieved a2's? Or mark re-applicants differently from how they would mark direct school leavers??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by raveen789)
    I forgot that there is two types of way that medical schools teach their stuff. Im not really talking about PBL vs traditional but it's like system based learning vs ______ not sure what it is, think it could be life cycles?
    Integrated?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MX123)
    Does anyone know unis which put preference on high achieved a2's? Or mark re-applicants differently from how they would mark direct school leavers??
    Cardiff. (and maybe Exeter). Leeds, where AAA at A2 automatically gives you full marks for your academic score (equivalent to 9 A*'s at GCSE).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frogs r everywhere)
    Cardiff. (and maybe Exeter). Leeds, where AAA at A2 automatically gives you full marks for your academic score (equivalent to 9 A*'s at GCSE).
    Would you know how Leeds use the UKCAT?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well that's the point of a GAP year. You can do anything you like
    (as long as it is productive, it doesn't matter what you do)

Good luck!
    Thanks for the good luck. Should have made myself clearer though. I meant what should i do in my gap year that would help my medicine application the most seeing as its already at a big disadvantage. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I've heard that Leeds is no longer giving extra points for achieved A levels - read it on TSR but haven't checked that it's correct.

ReputationRep:
    I looked up Cardiff's website and couldn't find anything about preferring re-applicant :/.. Can you link me your source?

ReputationRep:
    How many hours a week do you vonlunteer? I am about to start but they have not told me yet.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGeneral95)
    How many hours a week do you vonlunteer? I am about to start but they have not told me yet.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I did one afternoon a week for 6 months, two weeks solid at a school, and then occasionally during the school holidays when I had time. I think it is less about the number of hours than a long term commitment - after all you are unlikely to mention the precise hours in your PS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HCubed)
    I've heard that Leeds is no longer giving extra points for achieved A levels - read it on TSR but haven't checked that it's correct.
    Not true open up the academic section- Full marks for achieved grades -

http://medhealth.leeds.ac.uk/info/20...mbchb/592/faqs

(Original post by Dr.Ugs)

Has a weighting, haven't disclosed how much it's worth.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Richyp22)
    Not true open up the academic section- Full marks for achieved grades -

But didn't they use to give an extra 2 marks for achieved grades over and above the max? I know one of the places I applied to did - I was fairly sure it was Leeds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HCubed)
    But didn't they use to give an extra 2 marks for achieved grades over and above the max? I know one of the places I applied to did - I was fairly sure it was Leeds.
    they used to, yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ameelia22)
    they used to, yes.
    thanks - don't know how that slipped through!

ReputationRep:
    When it says insight into medicine, does that mean like understanding that medicine is a tough career, requires responsibility, caring and general altruism as well as application of science? Or does it mean like work experience

ReputationRep:
    Didn't even get through to the shortlisting stage for the Nursing Auxiliary job I should be used to rejections by now but I really wanted this job!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca-Sarah)
    I think there's a box on the form that asks if you've applied before, and if so you put your old UCAS number in so they can match up your old and new details - means if you use parts of your old PS it doesn't show up as plagiarised.
    I've been trying to find this box to enter my old UCAS personal ID but I just can't seem to find it anywhere?:confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr.Ugs)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I am still in the process of practising for my UKCAT, but from what I have heared, they look at your application as a whole. They explicitly say:
    There is no predetermined cut-off score. All applicants applying for entry must take the test year prior to the year they wish to join the course. The scores will be considered when the assessors look at the whole of the application which includes the personal statement, academic background and referee's statement.

Visit the previous Leeds thread, as I have heared rumours of them using a low UKCAT cut-off for 2013 entry.(~ 630) I would e-mail admissions.

(Original post by MX123)
    I looked up Cardiff's website and couldn't find anything about preferring re-applicant :/.. Can you link me your source?
    I have personally sent an e-mail to Cardiff Admissions on the 13th May 2013, referring to 2014 entry, and this is what they said:
    Dear frogs r everywhere,

Many thanks for your email and we apologise for the delay in our reply. We are currently working through a very large back log of email traffic after the interview and offer cycle and therefore some things have become a little delayed.

You may re-apply again via UCAS and we will treat your application as new. Any previous unsuccessful applications will be not be taken into account when considering your new application.

If an applicant does not think they will meet the minimum threshold for the academic score, we do advise them to apply once they have obtained their A2 Levels and have those grades in hand as this will increase their score. A2's are not scored in the same way as GCSE's (i.e. points) they are scored on a sliding scale.

I hope this helps and best wishes for the future.
    Kind regards
    Medical Admissions

Undergraduate Medical Admissions
    5th Floor
    Cochrane Building
    Cardiff University
    School of Medicine
    Heath Park
    Cardiff
    CF14 4YU

(Original post by meowcat)
    I've been trying to find this box to enter my old UCAS personal ID but I just can't seem to find it anywhere?:confused:
    It will ask you when you submit your application to your referee I believe.

(Original post by SusieShire)
    Didn't even get through to the shortlisting stage for the Nursing Auxiliary job I should be used to rejections by now but I really wanted this job!
    :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by raveen789)
    Subject based? So you do anatomy, physiology, biochemistry etc separately rather than doing all of the A&P and pathology of the heart at the same time, for example.

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.