Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca-Sarah)
    Subject based? So you do anatomy, physiology, biochemistry etc separately rather than doing all of the A&P and pathology of the heart at the same time, for example.
    Yeah I think it's that! Although I think it was called something else but tht might just be me and my memory

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by raveen789)
    When it says insight into medicine, does that mean like understanding that medicine is a tough career, requires responsibility, caring and general altruism as well as application of science? Or does it mean like work experience
    Well both - work experience will allow you to see that many doctors, for example, work under extreme time pressure, do not spent all day saving lives, and sometimes can't do much for their patients. (As an example I talked in my PS about working with a severely autistic child, and recognising that I would never be able to fully engage him, but concentrated on achieving small tasks - apparently that went over very well.) I just think it means you have a realistic idea of what the job entails, and of the qualities required to succeed - good communcation/social skills, ability to work in a team and show leadership when required.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ameelia22)
    Whilst this doesn't apply to me, where can you apply if you resit your AS year with no extenuating circumstances? I ask, because many universities that would normally consider reapplicants consider them on the basis that they achieved XXX at A2 at first sitting, however because you resit your AS year you don't know that information?
    Retaking your AS modules in your A2 year would not pose a problem to most medical schools, its your predictions that matters.

Or if youre talking about retaking the AS year again, so taking 3 years to complete the A level course (2 years of AS, 1 year of A2), then I'm not really sure...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frogs r everywhere)
    I am still in the process of practising for my UKCAT, but from what I have heared, they look at your application as a whole. They explicitly say:

http://medhealth.leeds.ac.uk/info/20...mbchb/592/faqs

Visit the previous Leeds thread, as I have heared rumours of them using a low UKCAT cut-off for 2013 entry.(~ 630) I would e-mail admissions.

I have personally sent an e-mail to Cardiff Admissions on the 13th May 2013, referring to 2014 entry, and this is what they said:

It will ask you when you submit your application to your referee I believe.

:hugs:
    Oh thanks

But what do they mean by sliding scale?...

ReputationRep:
    Okay so I'm a re-applicant after getting 4 rejections last year (got an interview at Aberdeen). I know most people on here are English so these qualifications may be confusing haha
    Standard Grades: 8 1s
    Highers: AAAAA (AA in 6th year)
    Advanced Higher Chem and Bio: AA
    UKCAT: 2910 (avg. 727.5)

I've done really well in my exams and improved my UKCAT this year by 450 points, the thing I'm worried about is that I don't look like I've had a productive gap thus far. In reality though I've been applying for every job that I can in the NHS since the end of May and had no luck so far

I've had two interviews and have another on the 10th but if I don't get this one then I'm going to have a boring PS I reckon. I have done voluntary work on a palliative care ward for like an hour a week and I am nearly finished my Gold DofE. Any advice on what I should do for work because I'd obviously like to be earning money for uni but also want the work to be relevant. Thanks

EDIT: BTW, you can't get A* in Scottish exams haha

With the Leeds and the UKCAT use (or any other university for that matter), even with their web policy...I know this sounds so obvious but just call them up tomorrow and ask. It should be a quiet time now post A level results. You'll feel a lot more reassured by taking 5 mins to do so than relying solely on TSR.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toppy)
    I'm happy to try to answer questions by the way!

I'm going to Southampton in September after the gap year I'm taking this year.

I had 4 rejections last year and also managed to **** up my A Levels by getting A*AB (these are the most irritating grades to get. Over-performing in one and losing out on the other don't cancel each other out apart from at Keele.) So I was a reapplicant AND a resitter. I resat my B in the January session and put it up to an A - meeting my conditional offer.

So far during my gap year I've volunteered at a care home and I now work as a HCA at a local outpatients department.
    Hello, do you know whether soton is accepting resitters this admission cycle?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toppy)
    Resitting was easier for me as I could do the exam in January! Reapplying was also easier as I think more places accepted resits. I applied to BSMS, UEA, Keele and Southampton. I got an interview at UEA and Keele. I got rejected after interview by UEA and I withdrew from Keele after getting my offer at Southampton. Southampton didn't interview (I think they do now?). Good luck to your daughter!
    I really want to get into UEA, you got any tip in securing an interview?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scottasaurus)
    x
    it seems like you've done enough stuff really for people to know you havn't just wasted away the last few months and remember there's still a couple of months yet and pssibly more time till interviews start, so time to do other stuff

But if you were struggling than why bit talk about the struggle for jobs etc with competition and also about what you want to do for the restof the year

(Original post by Setsuna)
    Hello, do you know whether soton is accepting resitters this admission cycle?
    No, there has been an update on the TSR medicine resit policy for Soton but you've got nothing to lose by emailing or ringing the admissions to clarify, especially if you have some form of extenuating circumstances which I was told they might consider on a case by case basis.

ReputationRep:
    Had an MLA interview today. Went so badly. I suggest anyone who has one to not play killzone all night before it. Not a fantastic idea at all. :\

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr.Ugs)
    Had an MLA interview today. Went so badly. I suggest anyone who has one to not play killzone all night before it. Not a fantastic idea at all. :\

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Whoops sorry Dr U I negged you by accident I was supposed to give you a positive xD I can't wait for new kill zone on ps4

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by raveen789)
    Whoops sorry Dr U I negged you by accident I was supposed to give you a positive xD I can't wait for new kill zone on ps4
    I'm preordering the package!!!!! CANNOT WAIT!!!! That's my gap year plan lol. No worries, I don't understand the neg/pos system anyways lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PG593)
    No, there has been an update on the TSR medicine resit policy for Soton but you've got nothing to lose by emailing or ringing the admissions to clarify, especially if you have some form of extenuating circumstances which I was told they might consider on a case by case basis.
    Yeah, I checked the TSR policy page, but couldn't find anything in the soton website for it, so just want to make sure. I kind of have some form of extenuating circumstances but I didn't notice the exam board with it thus I don't think it would count.

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, fellow reapplicant here!

I was just wondering, do I have to mention my gap year in my personal statement? Like I don't really have anything particularly amazing planned just yet, all I'm really doing is continuing with the job I've had for 2 years, the volunteering positions I already hold and tutoring. At some point during the next year I know I'll go travelling but as nothing is set in stone I don't really think I should mention it?

But then I also know that as I already have achieved A2 grades, admissions tutors will assume I'm a reapplicant, so might they be slightly suspicious if I don't mention the gap year?

Thank youuuu

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr.Ugs)
    I'm preordering the package!!!!! CANNOT WAIT!!!! That's my gap year plan lol. No worries, I don't understand the neg/pos system anyways lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Lol I've applied for a temporary position at GAME so hopefully ill get a discount xD

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    Could someone help me out?

I want to know which universities prefer A-level grades achieved rather than preferred???
    Also, which unis 'overlook' your GCSE's if you have an excellent ps and ukcat score.

ReputationRep:
    Guys I'm a reapplicant. I got an interview for dundee last year but couldn't go because of financial reasons. Will they consider my reapplication to them again and not see me as a time waster? Don't particularly want to waste a uni choice.

ReputationRep:
    Also, like someone previously asked, what universities prefer reapplicants with achieved grades? Also what unis like great examination results and don't mind if you haven't done months and months of volunteering and work experience?

There's an Applying to Your Strengths page but not sure how up to date it is.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=awilson008;44320637]Also, like someone previously asked, what universities prefer reapplicants with achieved grades? Also what unis like great examination results and don't mind if you haven't done months and months of volunteering and work experience?

There's an Applying to Your Strengths page but not sure how up to date it is.[/QUOTE]

its up-to-date, just ring up universities if you require clarification. Research, research, research. We can't do it all for you!

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.