The Student Room Group

2014 Medicine Re-Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kimsiclez
Oh same here! That is true I guess, it just feels like everyone is getting incredible scores though! I'd be over the moon if I even managed to get above 750 in a sub test haha. But DA and AR seem really high this year and VR is so low!

I agree, we can do this!

I couldn't agree more about these crazy UKCAT scores I'm seeing. I don't want to believe them, but then at the same time I don't think most of them are lying?! Plus, I am certain I wasn't seeing as many 760 avg+ last year on the thread!

I had my driving theory today (passed woo!), and it was making me so nervous just seeing all these other UKCAT sitters!!
Reply 1221
Original post by ameelia22
I couldn't agree more about these crazy UKCAT scores I'm seeing. I don't want to believe them, but then at the same time I don't think most of them are lying?! Plus, I am certain I wasn't seeing as many 760 avg+ last year on the thread!

I had my driving theory today (passed woo!), and it was making me so nervous just seeing all these other UKCAT sitters!!

Congrats!!! Moving on to the practical :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello,
Does anyone know of any Personal Statement books,services that might be useful
Reply 1223
Original post by ameelia22

That's the thing, I can't believe how much it seems to have skyrocketed this year...just makes me wonder, if the national average is around 630 then some people must be getting lower scores to compensate! I'm just hoping it's not any of us!

Congrats on the driving theory, that really is something I need to get round to doing :tongue: I'm starting this new job in 3 weeks and just realised I have no means of getting there at the right time unless I taxi or drive myself. I don't particularly see myself passing both driving tests within three weeks though! Do you know when you might be thinking of doing yours? :smile:

Original post by Green Bubblegum
Hello,
Does anyone know of any Personal Statement books,services that might be useful

There's a really good PS helper service on this forum, I would link you but I'm on my iPod. If you look it up from the medicine wiki pages I'm sure you can find it there. It could take a week or so for you to get feedback though as I'm sure they must be getting very busy around now! You basically post your PS in a private thread that can only be seen by the helpers (who are all confirmed med students/medics) and can really help improve your PS.
That's the thing, I can't believe how much it seems to have skyrocketed this year...just makes me wonder, if the national average is around 630 then some people must be getting lower scores to compensate! I'm just hoping it's not any of us!

Congrats on the driving theory, that really is something I need to get round to doing :tongue: I'm starting this new job in 3 weeks and just realised I have no means of getting there at the right time unless I taxi or drive myself. I don't particularly see myself passing both driving tests within three weeks though! Do you know when you might be thinking of doing yours? :smile:

There's a really good PS helper service on this forum, I would link you but I'm on my iPod. If you look it up from the medicine wiki pages I'm sure you can find it there. It could take a week or so for you to get feedback though as I'm sure they must be getting very busy around now! You basically post your PS in a private thread that can only be seen by the helpers (who are all confirmed med students/medics) and can really help improve your PS.

I am aware of that but is there any really good books?

I know...the average must be 650 / 660 this year or something (and if it is, i will LOL at sheffield who are trying to cut down their applicant number)

Original post by Dr.Ugs
Congrats!!! Moving on to the practical :smile:

Thanks :biggrin: Well I started lessons about 6 weeks ago, slowly at first, 2 hours / week, but since i've been paid last week, I have been doing about 8 hrs / week. Instructor thinks I'll be ready by end of October, but I really want to get it done and over with by the end of september :'). It's costing me a fortune (seriously, my whole wages are gone) and it's bloody hard. Plus, it's taking up valuable UKCAT time. As well as that, the goddamn test centre has a wait of 6 weeks - and that's the earliest in the city!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am aware of that but is there any really good books?

Short answer: not really no. Nothing compares to having someone else read it, share opinions / improvements / tell you how to change it whether it be a TSR helper, doctor, family friend, whatever.
If you want any book, amazon search it, and check out the reviews.
Reply 1226
Anybody started goin in on there personal statement?
Original post by ynm1

Waking up early tomorrow and analysing it piece by piece. :smile:

Ps, are there any books for the PS? I know there is help on TSR but is there any other help?
Reply 1228
Waking up early tomorrow and analysing it piece by piece. :smile:

Ps, are there any books for the PS? I know there is help on TSR but is there any other help?

ISC medicine one. But it's just lots of samples and helps you structure it. It's not worth the money though coz you can get samples online for free and see the structure from them. Most PSs follow the same structure :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1229
Original post by PG593
With the Leeds and the UKCAT use (or any other university for that matter), even with their web policy...I know this sounds so obvious but just call them up tomorrow and ask. It should be a quiet time now post A level results. You'll feel a lot more reassured by taking 5 mins to do so than relying solely on TSR.

Sorry I didn't reply to your message on my profile. I can't seem to login in from h computer (forgot my password and its no longer remembered on my computer lol) signed in from phone so couldn't.

Wasn't ignoring you at all!! :smile:

How's the PS going? Completed yet? And work?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ok we'll thanks for your help!
I will reaserch more into it.
Last question! You must be annoyed. :biggrin:
Which unis 'overlook' your GCSE grades if you have achieved your alevels?

I'm afraid I don't really know - sorry! I'm just so clued up on St A as I applied there twice :p:
Best bet would to be to look at the unis you're interested in and try and find out through TSR / their website what their policy is and if that isn't fruitful then send them an email asking them to clarify :smile:
Reply 1231
Original post by ynm1

was going to start just a bit of planning on the weekend, last year i spent weeks on it which i think was completely unnecessary. Think i'm going to try and just sit down next week with ideas/ plan and get it done :smile:

when are you thinking of starting? think if you've got your UKCAT out of the way already, than any times good i guess.
Reply 1232
Original post by Dr.Ugs
Sorry I didn't reply to your message on my profile. I can't seem to login in from h computer (forgot my password and its no longer remembered on my computer lol) signed in from phone so couldn't.

Wasn't ignoring you at all!! :smile:

How's the PS going? Completed yet? And work?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah no worries dude :tongue: Glad to see you're still up and about! PS is going really well, more or less finished it now, trying to make sure its attuned to one of my choices (since the others don't really look at it). You done your UKCAT exam yet? I can't wait to send off my application and just get on with normal life and let time run its course. Work is another story...still trying to get something worthwhile, considering volunteering abroad but need to research more into it. How about you? Did your job interview go well? :smile: You decided on any med schools yet?
Reply 1233
Hey everyone.

I just got my remark back and....it's actually gone down by 1 UMS :frown: So I've still got AAB.

So I'm sorry to say that I will unfortunately not be re-applying for med this year.

Starting research into the GEM programmes so we'll see how that goes. Thanks for all your support and help and I can't wait to see what the year brings for you all.
Reply 1234
Hey everyone.

I just got my remark back and....it's actually gone down by 1 UMS :frown: So I've still got AAB.

So I'm sorry to say that I will unfortunately not be re-applying for med this year.

Starting research into the GEM programmes so we'll see how that goes. Thanks for all your support and help and I can't wait to see what the year brings for you all.

I hope that works out for you. :smile: You will still be a doctor no matter which route you take, DO NOT FORGET THAT! :smile:

And thanks you for your support as well.
Good luck!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys,
I was wondering what extra-curricular activities should I write about and undertake?
I play Basketball with my friends at a court and it's really kind of an outlet to stress. How will I improve this and will unis ask me why you don't play for a club?
Reply 1236
Original post by PG593
Ah no worries dude :tongue: Glad to see you're still up and about! PS is going really well, more or less finished it now, trying to make sure its attuned to one of my choices (since the others don't really look at it). You done your UKCAT exam yet? I can't wait to send off my application and just get on with normal life and let time run its course. Work is another story...still trying to get something worthwhile, considering volunteering abroad but need to research more into it. How about you? Did your job interview go well? :smile: You decided on any med schools yet?

Well done! You will be free to do whatever! your almost done with the dreaded process.

I have written half of my first draft and it seems rather rough lol. My UKCAT is in a months time exactly so I'm my prep is a little unorganised and not very effective lol. I'm hoping to start the hard 600Q book this week. Any tips on how to use it?

My job interview was a disaster. She asked me how I deal with stress and I said "I cry" :\ but I was so sleepy (9:00am) I went blank so definitely screwed up. Gonna start applying soon.

Wow abroad! Where to? How will you describe it in your PS? If I don't have a job by October the 15th do I need to mention my gap year at all? Lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1237
Hey guys,
I was wondering what extra-curricular activities should I write about and undertake?
I play Basketball with my friends at a court and it's really kind of an outlet to stress. How will I improve this and will unis ask me why you don't play for a club?

Anything you do :smile: and no they won't. They don't care what you do in your free time as long as you do it and have a good work-life balance to avoid stress. Doesn't necessarily have to be sport. Also, show you have other interests besides books and science an med

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys,

This may help deciding what to use -

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/134067/response/336723/attach/4/Personal%20Statement%20Scoring%20Grid.pdf

If your really stuck on what's required for your personal statement i'd advice purchasing the ISCmedical - write the perfect personal statement book and study that for a few days before commenciing on the personal statement.
Reply 1239
Anyone considering buying the new 600Q book should reconsider. It's so crap: so many mistakes in the abstract reasoning one and the VR section gives a T/F when it's so obvious that its CT. damn I wasted my money on this ****

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending