Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    is there a point going to open days for medical universities?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Green Bubblegum)
    is there a point going to open days for medical universities?
    Well if you want to know where you're going to spend the next 5-6 years of your life, it must be important. However, it isn't compulsory nor crucial. It will however give you an idea of which places you would like to apply to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr boombang)
    hellloo everyone,
    im not a reapplicant but i am going to apply to medicine this year. i've got one question to ask......

at what time period do you normally get interviews from universities?!.... because i want to go on a holiday in december and im not sure to whether to buy the tickets or not?!?

PLEASE HELP......!!!
    Between November and March, generally. I had two in December and was asked to two in January.

Some universities allow you to specify dates that you're not around for (and Dundee even let you choose the date / time of the interview), but I personally wouldn't risk it. Save the holiday for after the interview season as a 'well done' to yourself ;D

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CasualSoul)
    hmm can't say I'm sure for definite I remember looking through a thread and it saying that we needed to make a new account but that was a while ago. I not 100 % sure I will try and find out then I can let you know
    Thank you it's not a huge thing to fill out a new one i guess if we have to but it would save some of the tedious finding results out/ dates etc

ReputationRep:
    Hey, can someone help me out??? I know I should be posting this on the UKCAT thread but noone seems to reply to me lol.

I'm spending 1 minute (at times more) on each QR question when I should be spending 30 seconds!!!!! How do I improve this??????? I feel doomed lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr.Ugs)
    Hey, can someone help me out??? I know I should be posting this on the UKCAT thread but noone seems to reply to me lol.

I'm spending 1 minute (at times more) on each QR question when I should be spending 30 seconds!!!!! How do I improve this??????? I feel doomed lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hey again In all honesty everybody wants to ideally spend 30s I know I never calculated that quickly in the real UKCAT but the main thing to remember is to answer as many questions right as possible. I got 720 which I admit is not amazingly high, but I must have guessed about 12 questions maybe more. The last 8 questions which I ran out of time on were soo soo easy but I decided to spend to long on the other questions.

Best advice is to continue improving your speed but to answer all the easy questions in say 20s and then that gives you extra time for the tough ones. It can be near impossible to try and answer the tougher ones in 30s but it's about using your time resourcefully, when to use extra time and when to save it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by raveen789)
    Hey again In all honesty everybody wants to ideally spend 30s I know I never calculated that quickly in the real UKCAT but the main thing to remember is to answer as many questions right as possible. I got 720 which I admit is not amazingly high, but I must have guessed about 12 questions maybe more. The last 8 questions which I ran out of time on were soo soo easy but I decided to spend to long on the other questions.

Best advice is to continue improving your speed but to answer all the easy questions in say 20s and then that gives you extra time for the tough ones. It can be near impossible to try and answer the tougher ones in 30s but it's about using your time resourcefully, when to use extra time and when to save it
    Thanks! That makes me feel better, at least I can geuss a few
    720 is an AMAZING score! If I got that I would frame my UKCAT score sheet :\ lol

How did you improve your speed?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! That makes me feel better, at least I can geuss a few
    720 is an AMAZING score! If I got that I would frame my UKCAT score sheet :\ lol

How did you improve your speed?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Just practice if im honest, you don't get a lot of text in the real thing so often you skim read what the data is showing you and get straight onto the question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by raveen789)
    Just practice if im honest, you don't get a lot of text in the real thing so often you skim read what the data is showing you and get straight onto the question.
    Most questions are not hard, they just require alot of typing into the calculator which takes up time! Lol

I'm so slow though its unbelievable. Like I think I'm almost there on a tough Q and end up spending ages on it!!! (And getting it wrong also lol)

Gonna do my first mock tommorrow. How did you do on the crap 600Q book mock? Lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    to anyone who subscribed, how long did it take you to complete all the Qs and mocks on MEDIFY?

I'm thinking of getting it for a week, would that be enough? I haven't used it before

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HaQ_mAn_)
    Had 3 interviews but no offers

I'm gonna try avoid MMI interviews next time around, because i had a standard Mock interview with my Headteacher and that went really really well
    Who Da*** keeps negging me for this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by babychocolate)
    Yeah, I got 3 interviews and the rejection was because I did some extra AS levels in year 11.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    i dont understand whats wrong with that?!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr boombang)
    i dont understand whats wrong with that?!?
    I was thinking of applying to one of the same universities and I was just wondering if they they'd think its bad that I didn't change my ps.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    hey guys, any tips for when to submit medicine application?

ReputationRep:
    to anyone who subscribed, how long did it take you to complete all the Qs and mocks on MEDIFY?

I'm thinking of getting it for a week, would that be enough? I haven't used it before

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I finished then in 5 days but I was doing 5/6 hours per day of ukcat revision.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by babychocolate)
    I finished then in 5 days but I was doing 5/6 hours per day of ukcat revision.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Alright, thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,
    Im also reapplying but i need help with which unis. I have 6A*4As at GCSE. 3A's at alevel. My ukcat was low at 622.5. My gap year will be spent as a healthcare assistant in paediatric wards and volunteering in a brain injury rehab ward.
    I was thinking Bristol, Cardiff, Liverpool then possibly keele/BSMS
    Any ideas?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Green Bubblegum)
    How does st Andrews and barts mark your application?
    Barts uses a tariff system based on UMS UCAS pojnts which favours (and attracts) students who are doing 5+ AS's and/or 4+ A2's. Students who are doing the normal 4AS+3A2 are normally at a disadvantage there. I don't know about St Andrews, but the wiki should be able to tell you (see article on 'applying using your strengths')

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by richtea5)
    Hi all,
    I'm trying to find out which med schools are UKCAT heavy- so far ive got
    Leicester (w/ point scoring system)
    Glasgow (need approx 670+)
    Newcastle/durham (700+ really)
    Manchester (660-680)
    St Georges (use scores from all subtests separate- not sure about average needed)
    I've not done my ukcat yet but im hoping to match/ increase on my 680 last year. Does anyone know any other medical schools worth looking into?
    Add Nottingham to your list (48% weighting factor on UKCAT scores), and maybe Hull/York (similar to Glasgow, IIRC). Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ameelia22)
    I couldn't agree more about these crazy UKCAT scores I'm seeing. I don't want to believe them, but then at the same time I don't think most of them are lying?! Plus, I am certain I wasn't seeing as many 760 avg+ last year on the thread!

I had my driving theory today (passed woo!), and it was making me so nervous just seeing all these other UKCAT sitters!!
    Those with high scores are always more likely to share the good news with the world
    The stalking pages are horribly skewed - if you're a nerd like me, you'll put the stalking page data into Excel and figure out the average - it's somewhere in the high 600's. And yet the actual national average is 620-630 (having crept up from 600 due to the greater availability of prep materials, probably)

Well done with your driving test btw

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.