The Student Room Group

2014 Medicine Re-Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1300
to anyone who subscribed, how long did it take you to complete all the Qs and mocks on MEDIFY?

I'm thinking of getting it for a week, would that be enough? I haven't used it before :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HaQ_mAn_
Had 3 interviews but no offers :frown:

I'm gonna try avoid MMI interviews next time around, because i had a standard Mock interview with my Headteacher and that went really really well

Who Da*** keeps negging me for this?
Original post by babychocolate
Yeah, I got 3 interviews and the rejection was because I did some extra AS levels in year 11.

Posted from TSR Mobile

i dont understand whats wrong with that?!?
Original post by Mr boombang
i dont understand whats wrong with that?!?

I was thinking of applying to one of the same universities and I was just wondering if they they'd think its bad that I didn't change my ps.

Posted from TSR Mobile
hey guys, any tips for when to submit medicine application?
Original post by Dr.Ugs
to anyone who subscribed, how long did it take you to complete all the Qs and mocks on MEDIFY?

I'm thinking of getting it for a week, would that be enough? I haven't used it before :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I finished then in 5 days but I was doing 5/6 hours per day of ukcat revision.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1306
Original post by babychocolate
I finished then in 5 days but I was doing 5/6 hours per day of ukcat revision.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Alright, thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1307
Hey guys,
Im also reapplying but i need help with which unis. I have 6A*4As at GCSE. 3A's at alevel. My ukcat was low at 622.5. My gap year will be spent as a healthcare assistant in paediatric wards and volunteering in a brain injury rehab ward.
I was thinking Bristol, Cardiff, Liverpool then possibly keele/BSMS
Any ideas?
Thanks
Original post by Green Bubblegum
How does st Andrews and barts mark your application?

Barts uses a tariff system based on UMS UCAS pojnts which favours (and attracts) students who are doing 5+ AS's and/or 4+ A2's. Students who are doing the normal 4AS+3A2 are normally at a disadvantage there. I don't know about St Andrews, but the wiki should be able to tell you (see article on 'applying using your strengths')
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by richtea5
Hi all,
I'm trying to find out which med schools are UKCAT heavy- so far ive got
Leicester (w/ point scoring system)
Glasgow (need approx 670+)
Newcastle/durham (700+ really)
Manchester (660-680)
St Georges (use scores from all subtests separate- not sure about average needed)
I've not done my ukcat yet but im hoping to match/ increase on my 680 last year. Does anyone know any other medical schools worth looking into? :smile:

Add Nottingham to your list (48% weighting factor on UKCAT scores), and maybe Hull/York (similar to Glasgow, IIRC). Good luck!
Original post by ameelia22
I couldn't agree more about these crazy UKCAT scores I'm seeing. I don't want to believe them, but then at the same time I don't think most of them are lying?! Plus, I am certain I wasn't seeing as many 760 avg+ last year on the thread!

I had my driving theory today (passed woo!), and it was making me so nervous just seeing all these other UKCAT sitters!!

Those with high scores are always more likely to share the good news with the world :smile:
The stalking pages are horribly skewed - if you're a nerd like me, you'll put the stalking page data into Excel and figure out the average - it's somewhere in the high 600's. And yet the actual national average is 620-630 (having crept up from 600 due to the greater availability of prep materials, probably)

Well done with your driving test btw
Reply 1311
Original post by purple and gold
hey guys, any tips for when to submit medicine application?

I think generally most people will submit it at the end of September beginning of October, just don't leave it too late before 15th October because it does take a few days for UCAS to process it etc.
Reply 1312
Original post by Pastaferian
Barts uses a tariff system based on UMS pojnts which favours (and attracts) students who are doing 5+ AS's and/or 4+ A2's. Students who are doing the normal 4AS+3A2 are normally at a disadvantage there. I don't know about St Andrews, but the wiki should be able to tell you (see article on 'applying using your strengths')

UCAS points, not UMS :tongue:
Original post by kimsiclez
UCAS points, not UMS :tongue:

Oops, well spotted! I updated my post. Thanks!
Original post by Pastaferian
Barts uses a tariff system based on UMS UCAS pojnts which favours (and attracts) students who are doing 5+ AS's and/or 4+ A2's. Students who are doing the normal 4AS+3A2 are normally at a disadvantage there. I don't know about St Andrews, but the wiki should be able to tell you (see article on 'applying using your strengths')

With AAAB in AS and A*AAB in A-levels am I safe?
Reply 1315
Hi fellow my reapplicants
I'm not sure where to apply: GCSE are 6A*2A and a B, at AS I got AAAB and A level AAB but I'm waiting on a remark as I was 1 Mark away. Hopefully I'll get my AAA. I got 695 on ukcat. Where is it best for me to apply?
Hey guys, My friend and I are going to the open day for Leicester together. We are both hoping to apply to Medicine and were wondering to we book 1 open day or 2???

Ps.We will be travelling together.
Original post by Green Bubblegum
Hey guys, My friend and I are going to the open day for Leicester together. We are both hoping to apply to Medicine and were wondering to we book 1 open day or 2???

Ps.We will be travelling together.

Just do two separate ones as students and then go together? :biggrin:
Original post by Bjo3
Hi fellow my reapplicants
I'm not sure where to apply: GCSE are 6A*2A and a B, at AS I got AAAB and A level AAB but I'm waiting on a remark as I was 1 Mark away. Hopefully I'll get my AAA. I got 695 on ukcat. Where is it best for me to apply?

First, fingers crossed for the remark. However, if you're unsuccessful, then your options are quite limited. The wiki article on 'resit policies' explains your options, which fall into two categories:
- UEA, Brighton/Sussex, Exeter and Plymouth will consider applications from students who did resits after Y13
- some med schools will consider applications from students who previously applied to them and narrowly missing their grades. Not all med schools do this however

Good luck!
Reply 1319
Got 576 average on my first mock for the UKCAT. Feeling DOOMED WITH A TRAGIC FATE :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending